PDA

View Full Version : A potentially relevant case?

OleCuss
11-05-2013, 1:51 PM
Bond v US was argued today.

This about the US government using a treaty to justify federal prosecution of an evil woman.

The woman is evil, I don't think there is any doubt about that. And I'd like to see her locked up for an exceedingly long time. But this case would seem to be a real over-reach which (if it goes the wrong way) could result in the federal government using treaties to prosecute US citizenry.

It really sounds like the government would happily allow/claim treaty supremacy on anything which the Senate approves.

If this goes the wrong way and Obama gets his arms treaty ratified (and maybe even if he doesn't) - we'll be in a world of hurt (pun intended).

Here's a ScotusBlog link: http://www.scotusblog.com/2013/11/argument-recap-a-tense-hour-at-the-court/#more-171524

SC_SD
11-05-2013, 4:09 PM
Interesting. I suppose it's fortunate then that all of the justices seemed to think the application would be ludicrous and will likely strongly limit that outcome.

fizux
11-05-2013, 11:48 PM
How about a hypothetical small arms treaty that bans civilian ownership/possession of all firearms
Antithetical to the constitution? Absolutely.
Can it be rationalized somehow? Probably.

stix213
11-06-2013, 10:58 AM
Why in the hell was this woman prosecuted under a chemical weapons treaty rather than good old attempted murder?