PDA

View Full Version : coldsteel

glock17_1986
11-05-2013, 8:46 AM
Hey guys,

I got some questions for you guys. Almost everyone I know who collects knives says cold steel sucks. I dont understand why. I have had two of their knives. The first one was the ak 47 with out the g10 handle. And the second one is a recon 1 tanto. I loved my ak 47 and cant find another one in the he handle I love. The recon works so well. I bought a kershaw ken onion g10 knife that I do not like. It cost me way more than the cold steel.so why do people not like cold steel?

Thank you,

walter

Dark Mod
11-05-2013, 8:56 AM
Most likely knife snobs, i love cold steel too. They do contract alot of their work out to different factories so there is varying quality from design to design, but if cold steel sells it, its likely a good product.

I can speak from personal experience on the following models since i own all of these:

Recon Tanto
Kobun
Bushman
Tokyo Spike

Boar Spear

Magnum Kukri Machete
Latin machete 16"
Latin machete 12"
Jungle Machete

Trench Hawk
Norse Hawk
Axe gang hatchet

All of these have been great, i us the machetes more than anything (for yardwork mostly) and they do a damn fine job. If you do your own honing it makes life alot easier.

There are better knives out there, but not for the price in my opinion.

hermosabeach
11-05-2013, 9:26 AM
Some of the videos cold steel releases seem to silly/ mall ninja to some

Great knives for the price point.

readysetgo
11-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Great knives for the price point.
^^^ This and...
Cold Steel Knives Donates $25k to NRA (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=777168)
http://i1096.photobucket.com/albums/g331/readyeseve/Calguns/NRA-Check-2_zps4abd1923.jpg

d4v0s
11-05-2013, 11:18 AM
Just knife snobs.

I live near their factory and the quality of certain knives is obvious in person, but the prices reflect that.

I have the rajah, several recons, bushmans converted to spears, samburu spears, two assegi spears, and a bunch of axes, hatchets, throwing knives..

Just bought the recon code 4 and its been awesome.

I was into emersons, and swamp rat knives. But performance wise they are no different from any of my cold steels. They just look better.

I am absolutely in love with my master hunter and sold many other knives that are double and triple the price because it fills so many niches.

Its always a tough time choosing my spyderco ulize or code 4 in the morning ha ha ha

glock17_1986
11-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Lol. I see, I just wish they would bring back the old ak 47. That thing was great and felt awesome in my hands. I havent been able to find another knife like it

MrPlink
11-10-2013, 2:17 AM
Probably has a lot to do with the owner being.. well lets just say a bit of a character.

760knox
11-10-2013, 2:28 AM
Probably has a lot to do with the owner being.. well lets just say a bit of a character.

^ True! lol, I use the Rajah 3 edc, works well for what I use it for.

Ninask
11-10-2013, 2:48 AM
Cold Steel is one of the best buys on the planet
not to mention some exceptional designs,
I'll take their steel any day over most knives anywhere near their price range,
their torture tests speak for themselves,
their swords are first rate and put real working blades in the hands
of people who could not otherwise afford a working blade
Humbug to those naysayers!
N

Saintwicked
11-10-2013, 8:09 AM
Good knives at a good price. I just wish they were still made in USA. The tri-add lock is super solid. Not the same as my Benchmade or Emerson knives.

wattspd
11-10-2013, 8:48 AM
They have a factory parking lot sale once or twice a year. Great deals to be had at these events.

SoldierLife7
11-10-2013, 8:52 AM
Hey guys,

I got some questions for you guys. Almost everyone I know who collects knives says cold steel sucks. I dont understand why. I have had two of their knives. The first one was the ak 47 with out the g10 handle. And the second one is a recon 1 tanto. I loved my ak 47 and cant find another one in the he handle I love. The recon works so well. I bought a kershaw ken onion g10 knife that I do not like. It cost me way more than the cold steel.so why do people not like cold steel?

Thank you,

walter

Maybe the same guys that say ARs sucks unless they cost over $2500?

IBST

Kammunition
11-10-2013, 10:39 PM
Bin using cold steel for years not a single problem with them either but I do have to say some of there knives are over priced but then agin that's what ebay and Amazon is for.... http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t109/breebree19_01/image-20.jpg (http://s158.photobucket.com/user/breebree19_01/media/image-20.jpg.html)

TacticalPlinker
11-10-2013, 11:22 PM
They have a factory parking lot sale once or twice a year. Great deals to be had at these events.

There is one later this month. They're local, which is outstanding. Only problem is, way too many people show up.

I own several Cold Steel knives. I see no reason not to like them or use them. I have been for years. Never had a problem.

Spawn
11-11-2013, 1:00 AM
The reason people say that Cold Steel sucks is mostly because of steel ignorance. Nobody can deny the durability and craftsmanship of Cold Steel. The problem is the steel they choose, which is AUS-8. The edge that can be put on this steel is amazing;the problem is that is does not last very long and it is not the best at rust resistance. Now most of the Cold Steel blades come with that black painted finish on the blades so most the the time rust is not a worry. The blades are not really made for thumping or batoning but more of a tactical and self defense philosophy, which AUS-8 is great for. I mean honestly, how often are we defending ourselves with our knives to point where the edge gets taken off because of the wear caused by human flesh. If that is the case, the maybe S30V steel is something they should look for since it holds an edge longer, and is super tough, but with that comes a tough time sharpening it. All in all, Cold Steel is awesome. Their serrations are some of the scariest around. But AUS-8 cannot hold an edge for a long time; but the ease of sharpening back to factory edge or better, makes up for it.

GW
11-11-2013, 10:43 PM
Cold Steel knives are solid knives and a good bargain. The tanto became popular because of Cold Steel. I personally don't care for their folders but their fixed blades are top notch and they at a price point that makes me unafraid to use them. I am not about to hack something up with one of my Randalls but wouldn't think twice about doing it with one of my Cold Steel knives. That's what makes them great IMHO. They are strong, sharp and durable but at a price point that allows me to use them, knowing that if I did break one, (which I have not managed to do yet) I can replace it without breaking the bank.

Ninask
11-11-2013, 11:00 PM
Cold Steel knives are solid knives and a good bargain. The tanto became popular because of Cold Steel. I personally don't care for their folders but their fixed blades are top notch and they at a price point that makes me unafraid to use them. I am not about to hack something up with one of my Randalls but wouldn't think twice about doing it with one of my Cold Steel knives. That's what makes them great IMHO. They are strong, sharp and durable but at a price point that allows me to use them, knowing that if I did break one, (which I have not managed to do yet) I can replace it without breaking the bank.

Once you put an Espada in your hand you'll change your mind about CS folders:)
N

jyo
11-15-2013, 4:01 PM
Cold steel knives vary greatly in quality and price---some are truly great (SRK, Trailmaster, etc)---some are made in China (I try to avoid Chinese products)---you can see the good stuff by the price...

SoCal Gunner
11-24-2013, 6:49 AM
Their Bushman with the integrated, rolled handle for use as a spear runs <$30 and made it through one of those crazy azz knife test videos is a great value.

Dark Mod
11-24-2013, 4:38 PM
Their Bushman with the integrated, rolled handle for use as a spear runs <$30 and made it through one of those crazy azz knife test videos is a great value.

Not only that but it had nearly as good of a score as the $300 Busse on the torture test