PDA

View Full Version : sks with detachable magazine not what you think

bohoki
01-30-2008, 10:14 PM
so say i have an assaultweapon registered sks because in 1998 i had a chinese sks with a 20 round fixed mag

can now since it is a registered assault weapon have a detachable magazine?
assuming it complies with section 922r

you know what i mean its an assault weapon can it get assautier

adamsreeftank
01-30-2008, 10:50 PM
As long as it is actually registered with the DOJ as an assault weapon (and you should check with them first), I think the answer is yes. In fact, the sky's the limit. Go ahead and throw a flash hider and a pistol grip stock on it. At least, that's my understanding.

762cavalier
01-30-2008, 11:27 PM
Yes as long as you play the 922r game you can do whatever you want to your registered assault weapon. There are no degrees of "assaultiness"

bwiese
01-31-2008, 12:06 AM
so say i have an assault weapon registered sks because in 1998 i had a chinese sks with a 20 round fixed mag

Was this a regular SKS design having an extended fixed magazine, or are you referring to the specialty SKS-D variant that took AK47 mags and then you fixed it?

can now since it is a registered assault weapon have a detachable magazine? assuming it complies with section 922r

you know what i mean its an assault weapon can it get assaultier

Congrats, you found a hole. Your thoughts may help someone formulate a solid defense if charges of misregistration were levelled at someone by DOJ, etc.

Indeed, the one 'generic' weapon in the original 1989 Roberti-Roos law was "SKS with detachable magazine".

An SKS with conventional fixed magazine was not covered by Roberti-Roos.

So, such a rifle taken out of coverage by Roberti-Roos could have been made into an alternate generic AW per 1999's SB23 (active in 2000) and then registered.

Once a firearm is declared an AW and a reg period opened (and anytime past that once registered) it can have all evil features except grenade launcher installed.

So yes, this SKS could have a detachable magazine.

bohoki
01-31-2008, 12:15 AM
i guess i was thinking too hard
i am talking about a chinese sks with the red star hinged fixed 20 rounder

see the registration said you cannot register an assault weapon that was already and assault weapon on 1999 registration form and since "sks with detachable magazine" was already listed you couldn't

like how you cant take a registered 50bmg and convert it into a standard ar-clone if you just registered an off list lowerhttp://www.ammoclip.com/images/SKS/SKS_20rd_CHINA_star_on_side.jpg

Alan Block
01-31-2008, 10:42 AM
You must have had the 30 rd mag since before the ban.

bohoki
01-31-2008, 1:54 PM
You must have had the 30 rd mag since before the ban.

really i heard somewhere here that if you find someone willing to sell you some (with the legal ramifications) it wouldn't be a crime to buy them

Knauga
01-31-2008, 1:55 PM
What is the legality of having an SKS or SKS "sporter" with a fixed 20 round magazine like the one in the pic above? What about with a thumbhole stock?

ohsmily
01-31-2008, 2:38 PM
What is the legality of having an SKS or SKS "sporter" with a fixed 20 round magazine like the one in the pic above? What about with a thumbhole stock?

A FIXED magazine greater than 10 rounds is an assault weapon in CA. If it is a reg'ed AW, then you are fine, if not, you have committed a crime.

Cato
01-31-2008, 7:55 PM
you know what i mean its an assault weapon can it get assautier

Ha! I love it!