PDA

View Full Version : Leatherman multi-tool

iluvmycolt
11-04-2013, 1:25 PM
I'm in the market for a leatherman mult-tool, but not sure which one to purchase. I'm considering the wave, mut, surge, or the super tool. Any calgunners out there who owns one or two of these leatherman product? I've watched the videos of each tool on leatherman's website, but I'm still undecided. Thought/input/experience/etc...with these tools are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Rampage.Maupin
11-04-2013, 2:41 PM
I bought a cheaper Leatherman multi took a bunch of years ago. I believe that it is the Sidekick. After having it a while and holding other more expensive options I became disappointed that I didn't get one of the higher end options and spend a bit more. Because of this I hardly ever use it. I'm fact it has been resigned to my deer pack and thus never see the light of day.

Like many other things in life, what you ever you decide to get I recommend spending a bit more up front to continue appreciating the quality in the days ahead.

Bongos
11-04-2013, 3:52 PM
I have the Original, wave as well a s a few extras and they are all well built and handy!!! Sure there is the gerber tools but leatherman I prefer

shockmind
11-04-2013, 8:05 PM
I have the Surge w/ Tactical finish and put it through lots of abuse over the years. The screw bit latch finally broke off after five years and i had to send it back for a replacement. The customer service was excellent. The only regret was getting the black oxide finish since it was poorly done. My next one will be a SS finish.

Ackrite
11-04-2013, 8:57 PM
I had the Wave and think it is the best all around and practical model they make, and definitely the best candidate if it is your first or only multi-tool. It is a good size when it's in the sheath on your belt. I gave the Wave to my dad and bought myself a MUT because of its more specific purpose and it has everything that I most commonly used on the Wave. For EDC, the MUT is way too big when in the sheath, but I carry it w/o the sheath with its built in clip in my pocket and I find it to be a more practical form of carry for the MUT. I've gotten used to the MUT and like its heft, it feels sturdy and gives you confidence in its hammer end.

Dr Pete
11-04-2013, 10:23 PM
Have one in SS, a model ~ 15 years old. Unless I am in dress clothes for church it hangs on my belt.

Use it almost daily. Last time I was at the surplus store that carries the new models owner offered to buy mine back from me!

The newer models aren't as good. I don't often use mine as a hammer but still looks and functions new. Leatherma on side of sheath now ;)

Rule .308
11-04-2013, 10:30 PM
Have been carrying some kind of Leatherman since they came out, I still have my original one that was made in Japan. The Wave and the Charge in my opinion are their best tools for general use. Some of the older models are collectable simply because they are not made anymore but that does not make the new models not as good. In fact, Leatherman continues to improve their product every year, whether it is through things like new models or better materials in existing tools. They use good tool steels in their blades like CM154 and S30V, have interchangeable tool bits, hardened steel bits in the wire cutters and are generally very comfortable to use. If you are going to wear it in a sheath on your hip I say get the Wave or the Charge, for something smaller I would go Wingman or Sidekick.

FatCity67
11-04-2013, 10:33 PM
Everyday- Blast

Tool box on a hip- Supertool

TacticalPlinker
11-04-2013, 10:34 PM
Any Leatherman is quality kit. Period. Quality materials & warranty.

I have the Wave and it's a great all around EDC multi-tool, I use all the time and usually have it on my belt. I'm also picking up a MUT for my firearms related tasks but it's a great all around multi-tool as well. I'd suggest either one.

I also have a few of their smaller tools I like a lot. Still need to pick up a Squirt.

ENTHUSIAST
11-04-2013, 10:46 PM
+1 for the Wave.

The tactical black finish with molle case is a nice option.

iron330
11-05-2013, 1:02 PM
The Charge is an improved Wave, if for nothing else but the comfort when gripping the tool tightly. The Wave 's scales are a bit sharper. However, I'd say the Wave is the better value by quite a bit. I'm speaking of the newer Wave.

chris
11-05-2013, 3:13 PM
I have the MUT on my body armor and carry another leatherman in uniform but they are great tools to say the least. Use your own judgement on which on you buy. I want another MUT for plate carrier so i can leave the other one i take to the range for my unit. It sucks when i forget it at home.

jonnyt16
11-08-2013, 6:44 PM
Have you considered a Swisstool by Victorinox? Been using one daily for about 4 years now and I don't think I'm going back to Leatherman. Very high quality, rugged piece of equipment (as is Leatherman) but I really like how all the tools are accessible without having to open the pliers. The locking mechanism is very precise and easy too. Plus, I don't think there's a sexier looking multitoool out there!

http://www.pizzini.at/shop/contents/media/l_10-3_0239_l_swiss-tool-spirit-4.jpg

DavidR310
11-10-2013, 11:15 PM
I'm in the market for a leatherman mult-tool, but not sure which one to purchase. I'm considering the wave, mut, surge, or the super tool. Any calgunners out there who owns one or two of these leatherman product? I've watched the videos of each tool on leatherman's website, but I'm still undecided. Thought/input/experience/etc...with these tools are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

All I can say is the MUT is huge. I was planning to edc it but the dang thing almost pulls my pants down! lol Like Chris said, range bag is where it sits.

Bought a leatherman skeletool cx carbon fiber and love it. For edc it has just the right amount of gizmos on it.

I guess the right question is what are planning for your leatherman?

iluvmycolt
11-11-2013, 10:43 AM
Have you considered a Swisstool by Victorinox? Been using one daily for about 4 years now and I don't think I'm going back to Leatherman. Very high quality, rugged piece of equipment (as is Leatherman) but I really like how all the tools are accessible without having to open the pliers. The locking mechanism is very precise and easy too. Plus, I don't think there's a sexier looking multitoool out there!

http://www.pizzini.at/shop/contents/media/l_10-3_0239_l_swiss-tool-spirit-4.jpg

No, I have never considered a Swisstool by Victorinox. Another one I have considered is the gerber tool because of the warranty. I'll have to do some homework on the victorinox.

iluvmycolt
11-11-2013, 10:45 AM
All I can say is the MUT is huge. I was planning to edc it but the dang thing almost pulls my pants down! lol Like Chris said, range bag is where it sits.

Bought a leatherman skeletool cx carbon fiber and love it. For edc it has just the right amount of gizmos on it.

I guess the right question is what are planning for your leatherman?

I plan on using it when I go to the range indoor/outdoor.

snubbyfan
11-11-2013, 12:41 PM
I have a Leatherman Wave and the only problem I have is that the nylon pouch won't fail. I do custom leatherwork and plan to make a custom leather pouch when the nylon one fails. It just won't cooperate.

Laddy
11-11-2013, 1:13 PM
SOG Powerassist is what I'm using at the moment......luv SOG

http://www.sogknives.com/powerassist-satin.html

6789olds
11-11-2013, 1:15 PM
Super tool 300 if u want heavy duty . Wave is good for med duty edc and wing man is very affordable and good edc on a budget

E Michael
11-11-2013, 1:18 PM
I have had the wave for three years, wife got it for me for my birthday,i use it almost everyday.

shooter41022
11-11-2013, 1:22 PM
http://www.gadzooki.com/accessories/the-leatherman-skeletool-cx/

HUTCH 7.62
11-11-2013, 1:28 PM
Bought my Brother in Law a Leatherman OHT before he left for Camp Bastion in Helmand Afghanistan. On the recomondation of a USMC reservist at work.
http://www.leatherman.com/49.html#start=13

http://demandware.edgesuite.net/sits_pod21/dw/image/v2/AAMV_PRD/on/demandware.static/Sites-leatherman-Site/Sites-master/en_US/v1383689185660/large/49-oht.jpg?sw=763&sh=763&sfrm=png

BIL says it was the best present he got all year.

Seven_Duce
11-27-2013, 9:47 PM
Get the one with the tools/features you will use

I have a(n) OHT(nylon case sucks bottom seam busted), Wave with bit kit, super tool 300 (edc), kick x2, Micra, and a MUT

jkrew619
11-27-2013, 9:54 PM

get the leatherman mut - eod. if you have an ar-15 this will be the one.

TacticalPlinker
11-27-2013, 10:13 PM
I plan on using it when I go to the range indoor/outdoor.

Then get the LM MUT.

As another member said, it's a large tool. Larger than I expected it to be as well, so my Wave continues to be my EDC, but my MUT goes with me to the range and stays in my EDC backpack. I'm never far from a quality multi-tool, knife or flashlight.

FearKrew
11-27-2013, 10:17 PM
I use my MUT quite a bit... Very useful tool on and off the range.

Bobbear
12-07-2013, 1:09 PM
Have you ever considered the Multitasker series 3?

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop%2Fmanufacturer&manufacturer=173

Garyson1311
12-07-2013, 3:24 PM
My father gave me his original Leatherman (No idea what model because all it says is "leatherman tool") and that thing is tough as nails and barely shows any signs of wear. I don't EDC it but it goes on backpacking trips, hunting trips, etc.

I bought my brother in law a Wingman (he wanted one with a pocket clip) last year for xmas and he loves it.

I also bought Leatherman Sidekicks for the my groomsmen (had their names laser etched on, which was cool!) and I just ordered my father in law a leatherman rebar for xmas. From what i've read, the rebar has pretty good reviews and is supposed to be a slightly smaller version of the super tool.

Every time i've purchased someone else a Leatherman I have considered getting a new one for myself but then I realize that there is no point because my old "Leatherman tool" works perfectly and now that it's got some vintage nostalga to it!

Look at the tools you want, need, and may use, look to see if you want blades that can be accessed from the outside, and decide if you want to pocket clip it or leather/molle/nylon sheath it. If you plan to EDC it, make sure its big enough to have the tools you want but small enough to be comfortable for you to carry because if you find it cumbersome, it'll just collect dust.

Leatherman tools are awesome.

11HE9
12-07-2013, 3:29 PM
I've had a "Old school" Leatherman for years, always hurt my hand using the pliers. I really didn't like that nothing locked open, I almost cut myself a couple times while using it.

I finally went looking for something more comfortable, and safer to use. I have always been a Gerber fan, so I looked there first. Gerber did not disappoint me..

This is what I carry in my GHB-

Gerber Suspension

RandyD
12-07-2013, 3:31 PM
I have had a Leatherman Supertool for about 15 years, and I am pleased with it. I don't own any other muli-tools, so I can't make a comparison. I keep it on top of a buffet in our dining room, and I use it several times a week, each use saves me a trip to the garage. I also put it in my backpack when going outdoors.

TacticalPlinker
12-07-2013, 7:03 PM
I've had a "Old school" Leatherman for years, always hurt my hand using the pliers. I really didn't like that nothing locked open, I almost cut myself a couple times while using it.

I finally went looking for something more comfortable, and safer to use. I have always been a Gerber fan, so I looked there first. Gerber did not disappoint me..

Gerber Suspension

The newer Leatherman products all lock open. Or at least my Wave & MUT do. The MUT uses a liner lock, like most folding knives.

I also have a Gerber suspension. I carried it for a long time. I just found it was a bit too bulky for EDC. But a great tool none-the-less. I really like the spring loaded pliers. The blades also lock open.

I keep the Gerber in a toolbox on my workbench. Though the Gerber might switch places with a cheaper SOG multi-tool I also have, that currently resides my truck. I think the Gerber would be useful in my truck than on my workbench with other tools more suited for the job (but not for field use).

iluvmycolt
12-13-2013, 1:12 PM

Never heard of if before. Will have to do some research on it. Thanks

Redneck Geek
12-13-2013, 9:58 PM
Wave, no question. More comfortable to use than the Super.

BisDak
12-13-2013, 11:01 PM
Wave.

Then get this:

http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-934850-Quick-Release-Pocket-Lanyard/dp/B0002H49DA

$6 that will make a big difference. Makes a great EDC. Ditch the nylon pouch.

iluvmycolt
12-29-2013, 12:53 PM
Wife bought me the wave for Christmas :D

DavidR310
12-31-2013, 2:23 AM
get the leatherman mut - eod. if you have an ar-15 this will be the one.

Why would he need the EOD version?

I have the regular version and the only thing I would change is to the pointed punch.

Other than that, I doubt the OP is working with C4 and IED's.

BTW little known fact... the MUT thread pattern is designed to be compatible with this popular kit.

http://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/Primary/449/449730.jpg

iluvmycolt
12-31-2013, 3:26 PM
Wife told me she'll get me the mut for valentines day :D
So which model mut should I go with?

BigPimping
01-01-2014, 11:03 AM
I have the Surge w/ Tactical finish and put it through lots of abuse over the years. The screw bit latch finally broke off after five years and i had to send it back for a replacement. The customer service was excellent. The only regret was getting the black oxide finish since it was poorly done. My next one will be a SS finish.

I too have a Surge. I do prefer my other Gerber Multi Tool. Seems better thought out and is a lot less bulky.

FearKrew
01-02-2014, 8:16 PM
Wife told me she'll get me the mut for valentines day :D
So which model mut should I go with?

Just get the regular MUT. The thing is awesome, even comes with a couple sight wrenches.

And you can use it with the cleaning kit from the post above...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

BlueKrush
01-04-2014, 9:32 PM
My usage YMMV.

EDC=Skeletool CX. Easy on the pocket book and light enough to fit dress pants.

The go to tool = WAVE. Fine finish and smooth operations. Does everything!

Next one to buy for the gun bag - MUT, the AR pin punch, cleaner adaptor & carbon scraper all in a small (for a gun bag) tight package.

Favorite to take camping and travel = the FLAIR! Little fork and cork screw come in handy for late night meals when silver / plastic ware is scarce..

Rider1k
01-04-2014, 9:54 PM
I received the Wave with codura belt sheath/ mini mag combo as a gift years ago. Good quality holding up well. I now keep it in my GHB

Charlieh313
01-08-2014, 10:00 AM
I have an MUT that's been used A LOT and it still functions perfect...the knife is super sharp the tools are all very sturdy. I added the bit kit from Leatherman as well.

sdkelly85
01-08-2014, 10:40 AM

Thinking about this as my next purchase. I would take this over the MUT.

navydad2010
01-08-2014, 12:23 PM
I've carried a Victorinox EDC for about a decade. It's the most used tool I own. It goes with to the range, on the bike(s), when responding to roadside calls, around the house/garage...everywhere. Gave one to my son,weapons petty officer, he swears by it too..When I compare to any other multitool they all seems cheap and flimsy by contrast...my .$02

milleniumdude1999
02-13-2014, 11:19 PM
OP what is your application? Size and weight are factors that must fall into your consideration. How about the Juice series? Locking is not important for many applications. I own several, Wave, Juice, Supertool, Rebar, Mut and a few Victor. Folders, a LA huntsman, coupled with Seal pup elite Sogs, Benchmades and Ganzos. Availabity in particular circumstances and utility for application is how I personally invest.

I am getting older, but if I were to go long hall ultalite packing, my Wave and heavier stuff would stay home, in place of a Rebar, coupled with Micra and my pup elite. Buying an older used Supertool and adding a Micra is a smart buy, especially if you look to eBay for TSA auctions.

If you go Johnny tactical, buy real wire dikes and get a Mut and a quality fixed blade. Ounces turn into pounds if you are backpacking, GHB, BOB.

Nutnfancy, has some good reviews of multitools, even if they are long winded.

The Dude abides..........

Jel
02-14-2014, 12:23 PM
My very first multi-tool was the Schrade. What I liked about it was it was made in the USA and you could access the tools without opening it. Now the Schrade multi-tool is made in China and it's garbage.

My second multi-tool was the Wave and I've never looked back. I really like the original, and I still have it, but when the new version came out I liked it even more. Perfect size and weight. All the family BOB's have one as well as each vehicle's GHB (Get Home Bag).

But...that Victorinox that Johnnyt16 looks really nice. I'm gonna have to look into it.

iluvmycolt
02-14-2014, 4:19 PM
OP what is your application? Size and weight are factors that must fall into your consideration. How about the Juice series? Locking is not important for many applications. I own several, Wave, Juice, Supertool, Rebar, Mut and a few Victor. Folders, a LA huntsman, coupled with Seal pup elite Sogs, Benchmades and Ganzos. Availabity in particular circumstances and utility for application is how I personally invest.

I am getting older, but if I were to go long hall ultalite packing, my Wave and heavier stuff would stay home, in place of a Rebar, coupled with Micra and my pup elite. Buying an older used Supertool and adding a Micra is a smart buy, especially if you look to eBay for TSA auctions.

If you go Johnny tactical, buy real wire dikes and get a Mut and a quality fixed blade. Ounces turn into pounds if you are backpacking, GHB, BOB.

Nutnfancy, has some good reviews of multitools, even if they are long winded.

The Dude abides..........

I have the wave as my EDC. I'm looking to pick up the MUT for the range.

milleniumdude1999
02-14-2014, 7:47 PM
MUT has proved less useful at range than anticipated, even with evil Black hardware. MUT is field driven by app. IMHO and that's where value lies for this soul. Range apps tend to be clearing FTF etc. and this is basically the capabilty of any multitool, even cheap stuff. Scope wrench aside, do you clean your weapon at the range, or cut paracord, seatbelts etc? I have never had the need for takedown at the range. Cool factor is always fun, but I keep my MUT in a pack for journies. Would I buy one again, owning a Wave, probably not. Lueoplold quick disconnect rings lighten things up a lot and allow one to swap optics, or go BUIS, sans optics.

DavidR310
02-15-2014, 12:22 AM
MUT has proved less useful at range than anticipated, even with evil Black hardware. MUT is field driven by app. IMHO and that's where value lies for this soul. Range apps tend to be clearing FTF etc. and this is basically the capabilty of any multitool, even cheap stuff. Scope wrench aside, do you clean your weapon at the range, or cut paracord, seatbelts etc? I have never had the need for takedown at the range. Cool factor is always fun, but I keep my MUT in a pack for journies. Would I buy one again, owning a Wave, probably not. Lueoplold quick disconnect rings lighten things up a lot and allow one to swap optics, or go BUIS, sans optics.

Did you see the bolt override tool on the MUT?

And yeah some folks do clean there guns at the range. I have when I was out on BLM and was trouble shooting a finicky upper.

I could also see how some folks who go to the zombie shoot and are out there for 3 days of shooting would want to clean their weapons..

milleniumdude1999
02-16-2014, 6:22 AM
Others have similar opinion on MUT here:http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/520147_.html

Different strokes for different folks. Just providing feedback for OP's eval.. Power to ya if it works for you.

Abide your needs and endulge your heart when you can afford it.

FearKrew
02-16-2014, 7:19 AM
Others have similar opinion on MUT here:http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/520147_.html

Different strokes for different folks. Just providing feedback for OP's eval.. Power to ya if it works for you.

Which would you buy now if you did not own a multi tool ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

milleniumdude1999
02-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Depends on app.. For light weight setup, a la pack, my preference is a Rebar and a Micra. I use a nylon wave case to house both. The Micra fits in the pack pocket nicely. I tie some reflective accessory cord to the Micra for easy access and to find it at night easier. The scissors on the Micra a much better than many others and have been field proven in first aide and tons of other important jobs.

The surge and wave are the best bang for the buck if size and weight are not a concern.

I have a lot of these tools and love them. Not really a collector, I use them.

My two original super tools are about 20 years old and work like the day I got them.
(1) Wave gen. 2, (1) Surge, (2) Original Super tools, (2) Wingman, (1) MUT, (1) Rebar, (4) Micra, (2) style cs, (2) Gerber Evo, (2) Dimes. ( dime is nice little tool). Gerber's are not my favorite. Picked them up at trade show when some stuff was delayed. They work, but build is bulky and not as refined.

Victornox huntsman is my favorite pocketknife.

Leatherman, you are welcome for the free ad.

A lot of my tools ride in various vehicles, some are in specific toolboxes for various tech. type jobs. I use them a lot at trade shows around the world. As a product manager, I tend to be pretty analytical. I don't have the capacity to carry every tool I would enjoy. I have been known to take cabs to all sorts of joints to buy what we need when on the road. TSA causes us to check everything these days, or ship ahead. I have had a few tools swiped from my suitcase by TSA folks, but hasnt happened in a long time. At one point I had three tool boxes floating around the world at the same time. Stuff gets shipped on pallets, slow boat and usually gets updated while traveling. FYI, I rigged a hacksaw blade to my wave from a sawzall blade, which has been quite usefull. Also, ground a few bit extensions for it. YouTube is great for tips.

Patched a few hoses on cars using PVC and hoseclaps and nothing but a leatherman.

I hope this helps. Always a student, sometimes a teacher, so welcome ideas, that's why I'm here. The Dude Abides.

milleniumdude1999
02-18-2014, 9:48 PM
Forgot about my Juice CS4! Kind of like my huntsman with pliers. Very nice tool and if locking is not important, it is as good as it gets in the size to weight ratio and self contained one unit. Bang for the buck, not so much, it's overpriced by about 25 bucks IMHO. It was an Xmas gift from a vendor, I did not buy it myself. It sits in the wife's vehicle, so I guess it is her's now, like she'll ever use it.

DavidR310
02-18-2014, 11:37 PM

OP said he wanted a multitool for the range bag. Not edc.

milleniumdude1999
02-19-2014, 6:33 PM
Any of these tools will work for range apps. The fact is the MUT is not all that. Others asked questions too. Must is waaaaay overrated and looking for a purpose, as others have said.

mindwreck
02-20-2014, 3:35 PM
It depends on what its going to be used for.

My EDC is between Wave, OHT, surge and supertool 300. All of them are awesome and pack a lot of tools. highly recommending having a squirt on your keychain. I use my so much.

The MUT is nice but its too gun specific to stay on my belt. Ive had and used it for awhile but it stays with my gun stuff.

Have a juice. got it as a gift. not enough tools on it to use as EDC.

Gerber diesel is a nice OTF cheap alternative to the OHT. loved using it and it sits in my truck now.

MotoriousRacing
02-20-2014, 3:46 PM
I like the Crunch; it locks like vise grips. I've used it many times to hold items/wires in place for soldering. It can also hold bits in the end, if you back out the adjustment screw.

Leatherman Crunch (http://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-68010101K-Crunch-Multi-Tool-Leather/dp/B0007UQ1EC/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392939870&sr=8-3&keywords=crunch)

Bit Driver Extension (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0022G72BK/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

Bit Assortment (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E1QPZG/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1)

AK5.56
02-20-2014, 7:20 PM
Don't think I saw anyone rocking the Titanium CHARGE. I love mine!https://v4s.yimg.com/sj/2806/11702384965_a2b8581ca5_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/113168831@N02/11702384965/)
IMG_0447 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/113168831@N02/11702384965/) by photos.with.ak (http://www.flickr.com/people/113168831@N02/), on Flickr

Reelemup
02-20-2014, 7:33 PM
Go to a place where they have a bunch of them....then play with those and decide. Should not be too hard....or buy like five of them.

Rider1k
02-20-2014, 7:47 PM
I've have the wave for years! Good tool. Quality made and has what ya need.

milleniumdude1999
02-20-2014, 9:30 PM
MUT is what? A threaded hole for cleaning crap, scraper and punch; hammer, not. Have used needle nose tips to push pins in a pinch. It's a gimmick at best. Wave surge, charge, even juice are better buys. OHT/EOD is another gimmick, unless you are a tech in country. Even then, I would rather be better equipped than a multitool. What's better than a rebar, or suppertool and a Micra in the same case? Pretty much nothing! It's kind of like a rifle trying to be more than it is, switch barrel and all. Range tool, it's not like you need a multi tool at all. Outback tool, is something else. Been in some pretty wild country, ultralite, and weight is a huge concern. Range bag, heck bring a small group of tools if you need to tune, but have it ready before the road trip, all buttoned up. Boy scout motto, be prepared. In reality, could get by in a tough situation with much less. Look at the real dudes in ultimate survival Alaska, they are not into gimmicks, even the military guys. KISS is dude's advice. Rather have a great pair of scissors for first aid and other useful shizzle than a flipping useless hammer/boltover ride tool/cord cutter. Last I checked knife still cuts cord. It's really silly, leatherman laughs all the way to the bank; like apple, purposely leaving stuff out, so we buy more.

44fred
02-22-2014, 11:07 AM
I carry this every day I work.

Carpenter 409
03-08-2014, 6:18 AM
I originally had the original Leathermen but handed it off to my Nephew when he left to Iraq on his first tour as a good luck charm. I picked myself up a Gerber from a guy that was selling them cheap to get stock moved out of his store. It worked well I still have it but my newest is a MUT which I love for shooting and hunting. I would say find what fits you and run with that. I picked up a second MUT for my nephew when he did a second tour in the Big Sand Box. I wanted to have it laser etched but didn't have a big enough space for a Ranger Tab. If I hadn't got the MUT for my nephew second choice would have been an EOD 300 for him being what he does while he's over there.

Dannytheman
03-08-2014, 8:35 AM
I have a Wave and a Gerber, and I use them both at various times. I tend to wear the Gerber, but have switched. I also have a Winchester branded tool that my son bought me and it came with nut driver tool. It sits in the glovebox of my truck, and I have never needed it.
Buy one, then buy another, and maybe get a third, you will never regret it.

MikeR
04-20-2014, 11:21 PM
I have had my Gerber since '95ish, best pair of needle nose pliers ever and I love the fact that the tools fold inside so I have a smooth outside on the handle.

Re1apse
05-07-2014, 1:50 AM
I have the SOG multi-tool. No complaints here. Never owned a Leatherman to compare it to.

beardog308
05-07-2014, 2:01 AM
I've had a Super for almost 20 years. I broke the pliers after the ten year mark and sent it in. The housing was the same when returned but every flip out tool had been replaced.

Marthor
10-19-2014, 8:15 PM
I got bitten badly by a multitool bug... I couldn't satiate it until I bought 3 multitools...

Gerber Suspension $35 (I overpaid, it's $27 on Amazon)
SOG Powerassist S66 $45 ($60 on Amazon)
Leatherman Wave $80 ($89 on Amazon)

What am I gonna do with these? I already have a couple off-brand super cheapo multitools. Here's what I'm thinking for the new ones...

SOG will go into my Jeep.
Gerber will go to my desk drawer at work.
Leatherman will go to my bug-out-bag.
The cheapos I already had can go to my range bag, wife's car, etc. So, if nothing else, I upgraded my multitools stashes from cheapos to some decent and nice new ones.

Marthor
10-19-2014, 10:03 PM
BTW, the Gerber Suspension is exactly the same as the Bear Gryllus ultimate survival multi-tool. They add $10 to the price though for his name on it and the orange colors.

Marthor
10-19-2014, 11:36 PM
Don't think I saw anyone rocking the Titanium CHARGE. I love mine!

You've got the "Ferrari" of multi-tool right there.

Marthor
10-20-2014, 11:07 PM
I recommend all three of these. The Gerber is the best value for medium duty and only $30. It is very well designed and operates the most smoothly. The Leatherman is the most durable for heavy duty. It has the best tools.This is the one you want to take into survival or battle. The SOG is also heavy duty and has the best pliers with an amazing gear system and added leverage. Each one has a feature that stands out. Get all three! ... for the car glovebox, for your range bag and/or your bug out bag, etc.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/485466_846737282026638_6882670654182817912_n.jpg?o h=c7f805c84d9a684b3ae2ce335df1bb31&oe=54F6241B&__gda__=1425183735_f5ce98345a4cb00deb2d8c82967268a f

StuckInTheP.R.O.Ca
10-20-2014, 11:14 PM

Gerber Suspension

I have one of these. You can't beat it for the price. I do still want to get me a Wave though.

Sniper3142
10-21-2014, 12:46 PM
I vote for the Charge TTi.

I've been carrying one for over a decade. It replaced the Wave I used to EDC. Love the smoother handles and lighter weight.

BayAreaShooter
10-21-2014, 8:00 PM
You've got the "Ferrari" of multi-tool right there.

Nah. The Ferrari of multitools is the Victorinox Swisstool and Swisstool Spirit. ;)

Not my pictures.

http://www.reliks.com/products/2822/4.jpg

http://www.sakwiki.com/show_image.php?id=2016&scalesize=o

Marthor
10-21-2014, 8:31 PM
I vote for the Charge TTi.

The best price I've seen on the Leatherman Charge TTi is $129 at Turner's if anybody is looking for that one.

jdbark1952
10-22-2014, 9:58 PM
I have never used a swiss tool, I have used leathermans and gerbers, Gerber tools hold up much better with heavy use, not even a contest.

PC9111
10-26-2014, 6:15 AM
Leatherman tti with pocket clip

iluvmycolt
11-08-2014, 12:29 AM
Nah. The Ferrari of multitools is the Victorinox Swisstool and Swisstool Spirit. ;)

Not my pictures.

http://www.reliks.com/products/2822/4.jpg

http://www.sakwiki.com/show_image.php?id=2016&scalesize=o

I like

SoberClurichaun
11-08-2014, 8:53 PM
I've got a rebar sitting in my amazon shopping cart. Just waiting to pull the trigger on it.

BayAreaShooter
11-09-2014, 2:56 PM
I've got a rebar sitting in my amazon shopping cart. Just waiting to pull the trigger on it.

The Rebar is in my opinion the best tool Leatherman has released in a while. It packs a lot of capability in a perfectly sized package. The one and only downside is their is no scissors, but I always have scissors (via: Alox Classic) on my key chain so it really is not a issue.

I would say the only decision to make is to get the Stainless or Black Oxide version. Do it... Buy it... :43:

SoberClurichaun
11-11-2014, 9:00 AM
The Rebar is in my opinion the best tool Leatherman has released in a while. It packs a lot of capability in a perfectly sized package. The one and only downside is their is no scissors, but I always have scissors (via: Alox Classic) on my key chain so it really is not a issue.

I would say the only decision to make is to get the Stainless or Black Oxide version. Do it... Buy it... :43:

You have convinced me, it will be part of my late bday present to myself. The scissors would have been nice bit are Leatherman scissors able to be used as electricians scissors? If not it wouldn't matter anyway.

BayAreaShooter
11-11-2014, 9:04 PM
You have convinced me, it will be part of my late bday present to myself. The scissors would have been nice bit are Leatherman scissors able to be used as electricians scissors? If not it wouldn't matter anyway.

I think you will love the Rebar. It is a excellent tool.

I am not real familiar with electricians scissors, but I assume their main duties would be to cut wire? If so I would not recommend using any multitool scissors on wire. In my opinion multitool scissors are not designed to cut anything metal and you could damage the cutting edge making the scissors bind up. On the up side the Rebar has 154cm steel replaceable wire cutters with hard wire notch so it can handle quite a bit of force. Tim Leatherman regularly cuts nails with them to prove their quality. Even in the event of damage to the wire cutters they are now replaceable so you can just replace them with new ones and your good to go.

SoberClurichaun
11-12-2014, 7:23 AM
I think you will love the Rebar. It is a excellent tool.

I am not real familiar with electricians scissors, but I assume their main duties would be to cut wire? If so I would not recommend using any multitool scissors on wire. In my opinion multitool scissors are not designed to cut anything metal and you could damage the cutting edge making the scissors bind up. On the up side the Rebar has 154cm steel replaceable wire cutters with hard wire notch so it can handle quite a bit of force. Tim Leatherman regularly cuts nails with them to prove their quality. Even in the event of damage to the wire cutters they are now replaceable so you can just replace them with new ones and your good to go.

Oh yeah I think I'm def ordering one this weekend and yes for wire. Mainly networking wire like you'd see coming from the back of a router. I just help a guy out on my days off so they won't get heavy use I don't think.

Thanks for the help! I'm really starting to get into these blade and tool forums

BayAreaShooter
11-13-2014, 9:16 AM
Oh yeah I think I'm def ordering one this weekend and yes for wire. Mainly networking wire like you'd see coming from the back of a router. I just help a guy out on my days off so they won't get heavy use I don't think.

Thanks for the help! I'm really starting to get into these blade and tool forums

Blade's and multitools can be quite addicting.

souljr1
11-14-2014, 8:24 PM
I have the MUT, Wave and recently have been using the Juice S2 for edc.

They are all awesome regardless of what tool you end up going with, as many other folks can attest.

The MUT is what it is, very cool but too large for my edc use. going to the range? Its a great thing to have in the bag just in case.

The WAVE has been worth its weight in gold in some situations Ive been in. This is the pick for any base camp or utility use when weight and space are not a concern.

The S2, is my edc, everything I need, and not much I dont.