PDA

View Full Version : Looked but just to clarify.

habendanio
11-04-2013, 9:07 AM
I've purchased an AR upper in Arizona and planning to fly it home this weekend. I have a lock on my luggage but do I still need to get a hard case for the upper. The TSA says that frames need to be declared and I'm thinking this falls into that criteria. If i do declare it does it need to be in a hard case even if I can lock it in my luggage. I bought it because it was a great price but if I add a case the price becomes less reasonable.:confused:

Shorthair
11-04-2013, 9:43 AM
If i were you I would spend the extra $20 or so and ship it back to myself. I think that would be less potential hastle. It SHOULDNT require anything special as checked baggage and fly it back, however ... it could be categorized as a "frame or receiver" which would require a locked case. I would not want to stand and argue about the legal difference between an upper and a lower while my plane was taking off without me. I'm sure others will tell you to stand your ground or that they have flown uppers home before with no problems. I just tend to be in the safe rather than sorry camp. You would be legally in the right either way. I also just plain wouldn't want to risk it getting stolen by sticky fingered airline employees. My 2 cents.

Librarian
11-04-2013, 11:32 AM
Uppers for AR types are 'just parts' - there are no legal requirements governing transporting or shipping parts.

TSA surely would not allow that 'part' in the cabin. Relying on TSA to actually know something (about guns, their own rules, the day of the week) is not very prudent, IMHO.

Shorthair
11-04-2013, 12:00 PM
A quick check of TSA regs on line said no parts in carry on baggage.

SemperFi1775
11-04-2013, 12:40 PM
are you flying southwest? don't they offer free checked bag?

SonofWWIIDI
11-04-2013, 12:53 PM
Just send it to yourself via USPS or ups/FedEx. Save a possible headache.

baggss
11-04-2013, 12:55 PM
OP didn't say wether he was checking his bag or planned on carrying onboard. I woudn't try to take any parts onboard, just don't want to be the "test case". Checked should be ok though. If there is a question in declairing just declair and be above board. Packing seperate in a locked container would be what I would do, but that's me. The OP can feel free to test the rules and see what happens.

PhillyGunner
11-04-2013, 2:07 PM
Don't forget... after the shooting last week, TSA is likely to be pretty touchy about firearms for a while.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

baggss
11-04-2013, 2:33 PM
Don't forget... after the shooting last week, TSA is likely to be pretty touchy about firearms for a while.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Disagree.

I checked my .40 Beretta pistol at Terminal 5 at LAX YESTERDAY (3 Nov). No issues, no worries and it was right next to the initial TSA checkpoint where you have to show your boarding pass to proceed to the main checkpoint. In fact after the Delta agent was done checking to ensure the gun was unloaded (which required me to open a case with a pistol in it at the very public airline check-in desk) the agent then told me to take the locked container to the TSA bag agent at the checkpoint and give it to her so she could clear it and put it on the belt. The TSA agent declined, took the case back to the Delta rep and told him to put it on the belt. She then radio'd the "behind the scenes" TSA folks and told them their was a firearm coming through and described the case. Then she wished me a pleasant trip and went back to work. No fuss, no issues, no panic because I was standing there with an open container with an unloaded firearm in it.

When I got to the other end the container with the Pistol was the first thing off the conveyor belt in baggage claim.

Whiterabbit
11-04-2013, 4:12 PM
OP didn't say wether he was checking his bag or planned on carrying onboard. I woudn't try to take any parts onboard, just don't want to be the "test case". Checked should be ok though. If there is a question in declairing just declair and be above board. Packing seperate in a locked container would be what I would do, but that's me. The OP can feel free to test the rules and see what happens.

I took components (barnes bullets) in carry on in the Boise Airport. That caused an unbelievable mess. The guy next to me with lead fishing weights was in the same boat as me. I think if we were in LAX things would have been far worse.

I wouldn't wanna be a test case for gun parts either.

habendanio
11-05-2013, 9:41 AM
Thanks for your feedback. I may just fed-ex the upper home, unless I find a good pelican type case. I was gonna have it checked but don't want to chance that my luggage won't be secure enough, even when locked. I've flown multiple times with firearms checked but I've always had a locked TSA approved case before. This upper was just priced to good to pass up, and I've got a couple lowers needing to find there partners.

Whiterabbit
11-05-2013, 9:44 AM
best price for shipping gun stuff is always USPS. For fed ex priced service, get priorty mail and it'll be at your door in 2 days.

you do not need to declare it a firearm (or anything at all), of course.

The truth is, for ANYTHING that is not ORM-D, USPS is really the way to go.

Yugo
11-05-2013, 9:50 AM
Uppers for AR types are 'just parts' - there are no legal requirements governing transporting or shipping parts.

TSA surely would not allow that 'part' in the cabin. Relying on TSA to actually know something (about guns, their own rules, the day of the week) is not very prudent, IMHO.

Careful you might be arrested for making fun :p

lkWPMeLSk6M

habendanio
11-05-2013, 9:51 AM
Since I'm shipping I should look at ammo, the prices in Phoenix are generally a lot better than the SF Bay Area.

Whiterabbit
11-05-2013, 9:58 AM
Since I'm shipping I should look at ammo, the prices in Phoenix are generally a lot better than the SF Bay Area.

In that case, My suggestion is to go UPS.

You CAN put everything into one box, but it's seriously much easier to put everything into two boxes. I would really suggest putting the upper into a small box and going to USPS.

For ammo, pack into a box and go to a UPS SERVICE CENTER (you can't go to a UPS store or the like, it has to be where the trailer trucks go) and declare ammo. You'll either get the guy who knows his stuff, or the guy who hems and haws and calls the guy who knows his stuff. In either case, there is no price differential and you'll be GTG.