PDA

View Full Version : Barack Obama and Guns

Mr. Ed
01-30-2008, 6:07 PM
Barack Obama:
Supports extending the assault weapons ban. Supports national law against carrying concealed weapons, with exceptions for retired police and military personnel. Supports limiting gun sales to one per month.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/issues/issues.gun.html

Check out the other candidates.

Blackflag
01-30-2008, 6:11 PM
I don't understand how anybody on this site could be voting for anybody other than Paul. "National ccw ban." That's a new one...****.

troyus
01-30-2008, 6:11 PM
Also wants to ban all semi-automatics.

He is such an Epic Fail on gun rights it is astounding.

CCWFacts
01-30-2008, 6:34 PM
He is worse than Hillary on this issue. All these people talking about how he has the power to bring people together, etc. I'm scared of what that might actually mean.

WokMaster1
01-30-2008, 6:39 PM
What happened during the last AW ban? Just no importation of new guns, right?

edit: never mind. I found the answer.

Satex
01-30-2008, 7:03 PM
I don't understand how anybody on this site could be voting for anybody other than Paul. "National ccw ban." That's a new one...****.

Because most people don't vote on just one issue. Most choose the candidate that best matches on a whole range of issues.

Blackflag
01-30-2008, 7:18 PM
Because most people don't vote on just one issue. Most choose the candidate that best matches on a whole range of issues.

True, but this should be an important issue to this group, and voting for anybody other than Paul means new restrictions.

Josh3239
01-30-2008, 7:30 PM
I don't believe that to be the case with the candidates like Duncan Hunter, Fred Thompson or John McCain. I would not be one bit surprised if Huckabee was also an extreme Pro-2A.

dfletcher
01-30-2008, 8:13 PM
I don't believe that to be the case with the candidates like Duncan Hunter, Fred Thompson or John McCain. I would not be one bit surprised if Huckabee was also an extreme Pro-2A.

Huckabee is probably in a tie with Paul as the most pro 2nd left. McCain is somewhat, but he supports banning the so called gun show "loophole". And McCain - Feingold limits NRA ability to lobby.

Since he's about to be the Republican nominee, I'd like to know how he voted on gun issues such as the 94 AW ban, manufacturer's protection, etc.

I don't get the warm fuzzies from him on the 2nd.

Josh3239
01-30-2008, 8:21 PM
McCain's voting record: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=954112&postcount=18

I can live with him being President and voting for McCain-Feingold and closing the "gun show loophole". His record isn't bad, I don't see him banning any guns.

Fobjoe
01-30-2008, 8:51 PM
I doubt congress will let any meaningful gun control laws get to Obama's desk anyway. Most Americans don't think gun rights/control is a big issue these days...HOWEVER It never hurts to be safe...DOWN with OBAMA

LECTRIKHED
01-30-2008, 8:57 PM
I'm a dem and will not vote for Obama. If he gets the nomination, I'll be voting republican.

Draven
01-30-2008, 9:21 PM
Because after all, Hillary's stance on gun ownership is so reasonable...

Rob P.
01-30-2008, 9:21 PM
Barack Obama:
Supports extending the assault weapons ban. Supports national law against carrying concealed weapons, with exceptions for retired police and military personnel. Supports limiting gun sales to one per month.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/issues/issues.gun.html

Check out the other candidates.

All of which will be answered before the elections by Heller so this is really a non-issue.

Josh3239
01-30-2008, 9:34 PM
All of which will be answered before the elections by Heller so this is really a non-issue.

And Arnold was supposed to be Pro-Gun and say no to microstamping...

The point is stuff doesn't always go down as it is supposed to. Do we know the outcome of Heller? I say hope for the best, expect the worst. Besides, just because Heller is suppose to rule in favor of us doesn't mean we should ignore the gun issue for candidates.

I don't neccessarily mean to direct that at you, more to these people who see Heller as already won and think anti-2A legislators won't to any more harm in office. Let's not forget all the legislation that has passed that was supposed to not pass... caugh caugh Microstamping cough.

That said, how do we know that Heller will be concluded so soon? Don't these cases typically take years?

trashman
01-30-2008, 9:37 PM
Barack Obama:

Typical pol from an urban area. And he *was* born in Hawaii, which is the most restrictive of the states when it comes to guns...

If he is nominated + elected, his ethereal agenda will probably meet the same fate as Bill Clinton's in 1992. All this KumBahYah stuff makes a loud squishy noise once it collides with the actual machinery of legislation. And remember that even though the Democrats control Congress now...much of their success is due to recently-elected pro-gun Dem congressmen in places like Colorado.

At least, that's what I'm telling myself....I'm a perpetual cynic about the lofty stuff...of any party stripe...

--Neill

Inoxmark
01-30-2008, 9:39 PM
All of which will be answered before the elections by Heller so this is really a non-issue.Heller doesn't answer any of these issues.
As to the court's answer to the issues is does cover, nobody can guarantee it to be the one you or I will like.

Rob P.
01-30-2008, 10:35 PM
And Arnold was supposed to be Pro-Gun and say no to microstamping...

The point is stuff doesn't always go down as it is supposed to. Do we know the outcome of Heller? I say hope for the best, expect the worst. Besides, just because Heller is suppose to rule in favor of us doesn't mean we should ignore the gun issue for candidates.

I don't neccessarily mean to direct that at you, more to these people who see Heller as already won and think anti-2A legislators won't to any more harm in office. Let's not forget all the legislation that has passed that was supposed to not pass... caugh caugh Microstamping cough.

That said, how do we know that Heller will be concluded so soon? Don't these cases typically take years?

You miss the point. Heller will either decide that RTKBA is an individual right that cannot be infringed by the gov or it will gut the 2d amendment into nonexistence. Which way the decision will go I have no idea BUT it WILL BE decided one way or the other prior to the election.

If it goes for us - none of the presidential candidates will be able to do anything about it.

If it goes against us - none of the presidential candidates can or will stop us from losing this right.

So, this is a non-issue for this election.

Soldier415
01-30-2008, 10:46 PM
dumb *** mother ****ing commie bastard

Tell us how you REALLY feel :D

ibanezfoo
01-31-2008, 7:45 AM
I've been thinking and I'm not sure anyone has much of anything to worry about with Obama. Think about it... he is black. He will be the first black president in this country. Do you know how many people will be his enemy right off the bat? He is going to have to do some major *****footing so he doesn't piss off the wrong people. It seems he will be nothing but a talking head with MLK aspirations.

-Bryan

MonsterMan
01-31-2008, 7:54 AM
Didn't Heller get squashed by the Bush Admin? Is it still going to the Courts?

You miss the point. Heller will either decide that RTKBA is an individual right that cannot be infringed by the gov or it will gut the 2d amendment into nonexistence. Which way the decision will go I have no idea BUT it WILL BE decided one way or the other prior to the election.

If it goes for us - none of the presidential candidates will be able to do anything about it.

If it goes against us - none of the presidential candidates can or will stop us from losing this right.

So, this is a non-issue for this election.

Calguns2000
01-31-2008, 7:59 AM
Didn't Heller get squashed by the Bush Admin? Is it still going to the Courts?
The Bush admin has no power to squash [sic] the case--it will be decided by the SCOTUS in March.

Soldier415
01-31-2008, 8:04 AM
The Bush admin has no power to squash [sic] the case--it will be decided by the SCOTUS in March.

I have been wondering for a long time, someone please clue me in as to what [sic]/(sic) denotes when used in a sentence.

Thanks

GenLee
01-31-2008, 8:05 AM
QUOTE=LECTRIKHED;971753]I'm a dem and will not vote for Obama. If he gets the nomination, I'll be voting republican.[/QUOTE]

Your a gun owner vote Rep.! www.RP08.com

AKman
01-31-2008, 8:10 AM
I have been wondering for a long time, someone please clue me in as to what [sic]/(sic) denotes when used in a sentence.

Thanks

It means they really think you are a sick SOB.;)

Actually, its used when a quote has an error (misspelling, grammer, etc.) to denote that the mistake is from the original source.

BossHog
01-31-2008, 9:17 AM

Thanks

SIC is an acronym for 'Spelled In Context'. It's generally used when quoting someone who has spelled a word incorrectly.

DedEye
01-31-2008, 9:17 AM

Thanks

I'll learn yu [sic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sic)] good!

hung380
01-31-2008, 9:34 AM
barack hussein obama, sigh. :rolleyes:

Soldier415
01-31-2008, 9:36 AM
SIC is an acronym for 'Spelled In Context'. It's generally used when quoting someone who has spelled a word incorrectly.

So after a tornado in Kentucky I am guessing the story with quotes from the residents of the local trailer park about what it sounded like are filled with [sic]