PDA

View Full Version : McCain and the 2nd Ammendment

GI-M1
01-30-2008, 5:06 PM
After hearing of the results of the Florida primaries, it looks to me as though McCain will be the Republican nominee.

His website promotes the following:

http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/77636553-6337-4ecd-b170-49e1c07d2fbd.htm

However, i've heard other 'mumblings' about his support of the 2nd Ammendment. Has anyone heard anything different?

What are the opinions of Clinton and Obama in regards to the 2nd Amendment?

What are the predictions of what will happen to the 2nd Ammendment under the various presidential choices?

bwiese
01-30-2008, 5:21 PM
RKBA future is less sensitive to the direct opinions of the upcoming Prez than to which future Supreme Ct justices he'll nominate.

McCain has vowed to nominate 'originalists' so regardless of his waverings, that's an overall net plus. You can bet the Ds will wanna nominate 'living document' types.

Whatever gripes about McCain, he's way better than any D oppoent.

There will be lotsa stuff, post-Parker/Heller, coming up. We will want the right people on the court. We're in fairly good shape now, but an Alex Kozinski or Janice Rogers Brown would really help :)

dfletcher
01-30-2008, 7:39 PM
RKBA future is less sensitive to the direct opinions of the upcoming Prez than to which future Supreme Ct justices he'll nominate.

McCain has vowed to nominate 'originalists' so regardless of his waverings, that's an overall net plus. You can bet the Ds will wanna nominate 'living document' types.

There will be lotsa stuff, post-Parker/Heller, coming up. We will want the right people on the court. We're in fairly good shape now, but an Alex Kozinski or Janice Rogers Brown would really help :)

Thanks for the post and link. And I agree on McCain in general and the court.

I asked a few questions elsewhere and the link answers them for the most part. However, do notice that those one liner answers are pretty straightforward and positive, while the "gun show" subject is a bit longer and of course, specifically well crafted. I think it speaks to the "rumblings" you've heard.

Comparing his position on gun shows to a position much more offensive is a sure give away he's being deliberate and not so forthcoming. Sort of - "While your neighbor got her drunk and took advantage of your wife, I would only like to advantage of her". OK, well that's not so bad.

As I understand it and the site does nothing to change my mind, McCain would prohibit private party face to face at a gun show. Now, he states he'll replace it with instant background checks that will not impede the transaction but, it is a new restriction in those states such as NV where face to face PPT is unencumbered.

Now, if it has to happen and that instant background bill contained something FOR gun owners such as allowing an FFL from one state to sell to an individual in another state, maybe - and it's a big maybe - maybe there's a deal to be made. But for now I'd be very much against that.

otalps
01-30-2008, 7:45 PM
What are the opinions of Clinton and Obama in regards to the 2nd Amendment?

:smilielol5:

Wulf
01-30-2008, 8:12 PM
MHO, McCain is a extremely week on the gun question. Sure, maybe his record on guns is better than Romney's, but McCain is the Senator from Arizona for pete's sake. His record damm well better be better. At some point you have to view a politicians record through the prisim of the people he's supposed to be representing. If McCain represented Mass. his record would be as inappropriate as if Romney's positions were representing Arizona.

McCain should have been a leader on 2nd issues, not merely a mostly reliable pro vote. And the fact of the matter is is that McCain is not even a reliable pro vote. http://gunowners.org/mccaintb.htm

Given the state McCain represents, we would have been treated to the McCain Gun Owners Protection Act, and the McCain National Reciprocity bill, if he was acting as a faithful representative of the people of Arizona......NOT McCain Feingold, and the Gang of 14. But that's not how its gone. McCain's biggest flaw as a candidate is that he thinks he represents The People of the Great State of Media, not Arizona, or America.

tenpercentfirearms
01-30-2008, 8:20 PM
MCCAIN HAS NOT WON!The funny thing is the media wants you to think he has won, but he isn't even close.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/scorecard/#val=R

According to this 1191 delegates are needed to win. McCain only has 97!!! Romney has 74, Huckabee 29, and Ron Paul 6.

So the media wants you to think this is over. Hell I was thinking of voting for Romney just because I don't want McCain but then I realized this thing is so far from over it isn't even funny. I am going Huckabee next Tuesday. Sorry, I know Ron Paul doesn't have a chance.

mblat
01-30-2008, 8:37 PM
MCCAIN HAS NOT WON!The funny thing is the media wants you to think he has won, but he isn't even close.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/scorecard/#val=R

According to this 1191 delegates are needed to win. McCain only has 97!!! Romney has 74, Huckabee 29, and Ron Paul 6.

So the media wants you to think this is over. Hell I was thinking of voting for Romney just because I don't want McCain but then I realized this thing is so far from over it isn't even funny. I am going Huckabee next Tuesday. Sorry, I know Ron Paul doesn't have a chance.

And Huckabee does?

Josh3239
01-30-2008, 8:40 PM
Uhhhhh, I am so tired of posting this and reposting this.

McCain's gun voting record:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=954112&postcount=18

BTW, no one proved me otherwise.

scootergmc
01-30-2008, 8:41 PM
I am going Huckabee next Tuesday. Sorry, I know Ron Paul doesn't have a chance.

Yes, supertuesday should be the end of all things Ron Paul.

trashman
01-30-2008, 8:47 PM
As I understand it and the site does nothing to change my mind, McCain would prohibit private party face to face at a gun show. Now, he states he'll replace it with instant background checks that will not impede the transaction but, it is a new restriction in those states such as NV where face to face PPT is unencumbered.

My sense of this, looking at the evolution of the issue over the next decade or so, is that the kind of 'trades' we (as gun owners) make will be pivotal in the political sphere...no matter what the SCOTUS makeup looks like.

And one 'trade' that I think is probably worthwhile is that we submit to background checks during PPTs (in a national sense). If that process gets put in the open, and de facto registration (a la California) is prohibited by law, and folks who get stuck on a "do not sell to" list have some real recourse/appeal; then I think I'd be in favor of it.

It gets harder and harder to argue, in a political/pragmatic sense, that we should be able to cash 'n carry guns at gun shows (like I used to do in Virginia). And I have to wonder what that might buy us...

--Neill

Wulf
01-30-2008, 8:58 PM
Uhhhhh, I am so tired of posting this and reposting this.

McCain's gun voting record:
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showpost.php?p=954112&postcount=18

BTW, no one proved me otherwise.

GOA Ratings For John McCain

C--
C--
F--
F--

And....

http://gunowners.org/mcv106.htm

And as I said above. McCain cant claim to be "just representing his constituents" with his anti-gun votes.

Sure, you can cherry pick a half dozen pro gun votes McCain has made, but the big picture on his voting record show's you a man who makes Bill Clinton look like a piker when it comes to pandering to the media, and making policy based on political expediency.

Josh3239
01-30-2008, 9:22 PM
Nevermind, not even worth it...

ViPER395
01-30-2008, 9:25 PM
And Huckabee does?

+1

You better all put your cards down on Romney if you wish to avoid a McCain nomination. None of the others have a chance. I'm not even sure of Romney's chances.

tenpercentfirearms
01-30-2008, 10:15 PM
+1

You better all put your cards down on Romney if you wish to avoid a McCain nomination. None of the others have a chance. I'm not even sure of Romney's chances.

How do you figure? This thing has barely even gotten started.

I honestly don't think the other half of America is going to elect a Mormon. I personally have no problems electing a Mormon, but I know the rest of America thinks he won't be any good. Mormon's are darn fine people even if we don't agree religously, but I know others can't see past them being Mormon.

Our best bet is Huckabee. And with over 1000 delegates to go to win, this thing isn't even close to being decided yet, unless you believe what the media wants you to hear. :rolleyes:

mikehaas
01-31-2008, 9:10 AM
However, i've heard other 'mumblings' about his support of the 2nd Ammendment. Has anyone heard anything different?

Posted here already at least once...

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=83477

http://nrawinningteam.com/

stag1500
01-31-2008, 10:23 AM

So what happens when McCain's Solicitor General pulls a stunt like Bush's Solicitor General did and almost derails pro-2nd Amend. cases in the Supreme Court? I'm sorry but I'm just very pessimistic about the next 4 years.