PDA

View Full Version : Feinstein's reply UN Arms Treaty

Helpful_Cub
11-04-2013, 6:24 AM
I'd emailed her about this months ago asking her and Boxer to oppose ratifying this treaty. I'm actually surprised she emailed back before Boxer. Plus this is a civil email! The last gun control email she sent me was not so nice...

Thank you for contacting me to express your opposition to the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty. I appreciate the time you took to write, and I welcome the opportunity to address your concerns.

On September 25, 2013, the United States officially signed the United Nations Arms Trade Treaty. In April, the United States joined a majority of the United Nations General Assembly in approving the treaty by a vote of 154 to 3, with Iran, North Korea, and Syria voting in opposition. The treaty must now be ratified by a two-thirds vote of the U.S. Senate before it enters into effect in the United States.

First, you may be interested to know that this treaty will have no authority whatsoever over domestic ownership and regulation of guns. The treaty only establishes standards for the export, import, and international transfer of conventional weapons. Indeed, the preamble of the treaty specifically "reaffirm[ s] the sovereign right of any State to regulate and control conventional arms exclusively within its territory, pursuant to its own legal or constitutional system."

The U.S. is already in compliance with the treaty—U.S. export control laws are among the most stringent in the world. However, weak export controls in other countries, as well as insufficient regulation of non-governmental arms brokers and weak management of weapons stockpiles, undermine U.S. efforts to keep weapons out of the hands of terrorists, war criminals, and human rights abusers. This lack of standardized international export control regulations allows weapons to flow unabated around the world, fueling conflict and instability and facilitating the deaths of millions of innocent civilians.

The treaty seeks to address these concerns and contains many of the basic elements needed for effective regulation of the global arms trade. It requires all nations to adopt basic regulations and approval processes for the flow of weapons across international borders, establishes common international standards that must be met before arms transfers are authorized, and requires annual reporting of such transfers.

I believe that this treaty will help save American lives by keeping weapons out of the hands of terrorists and insurgents who may target U.S. troops and personnel abroad. It will help lessen the need for costly military interventions by denying arms to violent groups who create instability and failed states. Indeed, the treaty will strengthen U.S. leadership in stopping genocides and other mass atrocities by preventing arms from reaching war criminals and human rights abusers in the first place.

I understand that you have concerns regarding this treaty; however, I want to reiterate that this treaty only governs the international arms trade and does not have any authority over domestic gun ownership and regulation.

Once again, thank you for writing, and I hope that you will continue to keep me informed about issues of importance to you. Should you have any further comments or questions, please feel free to contact my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 224-3841, or visit my website at www.feinstein.senate.gov . Best regards.

Sincerely yours,

Dianne Feinstein
United States Senator

baggss
11-04-2013, 6:38 AM
Interesting reply. Too bad she's lying through her teeth when she says it will have no impact on US "domestic ownership and regulation of our guns". Then again maybe she knows it won't make it through the Senate with a 2/3 majority any time soon...

ElvenSoul
11-04-2013, 6:48 AM
No authority...hahahabababaha I guess Americans are that stupid!

socom2shooter
11-04-2013, 5:42 PM
Hmm interesting she even replyed. Are you sure it was actually her?

Helpful_Cub
11-04-2013, 6:49 PM

It was probably one of her staffers. But yes, it is definitely from her office.

surplus-addict
11-04-2013, 7:14 PM

....Do you REALLY think she could even spell that well, let alone take 10 minutes out of her tyranny planning schedule to write a single reply?

She's an "important" person, she won't do that for us peasants.

It was obviously a copy and paste letter one of her interns sent.

hadjin
11-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Regardless of non ratification by the US Senate, it is not something the Liberals have an ability to pass right now anyway, and yet they will still benefit by it's adoption by other signers.

Many countries have agreed to comply with the Treaty, as such it WILL impact us because they will restrict cross boarder ammunition and gun imports TO the USA.

RMP91
11-08-2013, 11:07 AM
Many countries have agreed to comply with the Treaty, as such it WILL impact us because they will restrict cross border ammunition and gun imports TO the USA.

I don't think so...

Do you seriously think they'd want to eliminate a good chunk of their import/export revenue by banning exportation of guns, ammo, magazines and parts to one of their biggest civilian markets (The USA) just because some little treaty said so?

Follow the money... It's always been about the money.

fr33domfightr
11-08-2013, 11:19 AM
Regardless of non ratification by the US Senate, it is not something the Liberals have an ability to pass right now anyway, and yet they will still benefit by it's adoption by other signers.

Many countries have agreed to comply with the Treaty, as such it WILL impact us because they will restrict cross boarder ammunition and gun imports TO the USA.

From her reply: "The treaty only establishes standards for the export, import, and international transfer of conventional weapons."

She's talking about conventional weapons. Does she mean nonmilitary weapons or ??

As you stated, the IMPORTS could get blocked.

SonofWWIIDI
11-08-2013, 11:37 AM
Dear constituent,

You are a backwards, inbred, low IQ piece of dirt. We'll make all the decisions for you, just shut up and accept the new world order we are creating, for your benefit. We'll tell you what's good for you, and you'll go along with it...or else.

Now, go back to work so you can pay your taxes and support your overlords and the wonderful people who choose not to work.

Obey!!

Up yours,
Difi!

That's how it reads to me.

PhillyGunner
11-08-2013, 11:42 AM
From her reply: "The treaty only establishes standards for the export, import, and international transfer of conventional weapons."

She's talking about conventional weapons. Does she mean nonmilitary weapons or ??

I assume she means all conventional weapons... non-NBC (Nuclear Biological Chemical)... but we know what happens when we make assumptions... and that the good Senator has a habit of talking about how things should be applied to 'We, the People' more than 'We, the United States'... like 'some surveillance is necessary... because as the Chair of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, I know they aren't surveilling ME!' :rolleyes:

hadjin
11-08-2013, 12:35 PM

Yes, she means "conventional weapons" items. INfact, I read a few provisions maybe two months ago, and my recollecion is that it specifically included ammunition.

The USA provides all kind of international assistance (funding, aid, trade, etc) to countries, and is never shy about rewarding behavior from those countries that they feel benefits an administrations goals or aims.

I suspect restricting firearms related imports due to the Treaty is something they will fully embrace; afterall, they've already indicated they intend to stop future reimportation of our very own US built surplus Garands.

hardlyworking
11-08-2013, 6:29 PM
Yup, she's waving her hands and saying "oh you poor confused citizen, there's nothing to worry about"... meanwhile she's praying SCOTUS supports DOJ's position in Bond vs US and she can go after PPT's as Federal Small Arms Treaty violations.

Epaphroditus
11-08-2013, 6:45 PM
Every gun I buy is one less in the hands of a terrorist, war criminal or human rights abuser. Just trying to do my part for world peace.

wjc
11-09-2013, 4:14 PM
It's a form letter, OP.

She sent me the same one. She isn't interested in the opinions of her constituents...just her Statist agenda.

Jester3
11-09-2013, 4:25 PM

Worst news ever for all the wonderful shipments of military surplus coming into our country.

ja308
11-22-2013, 6:30 PM
Seems she should be interested in preventing bad govts from acquiring arms.

Bet those terrorists will sure be stifled by this treaty ! Flat out gun grabbing liar !