PDA

View Full Version : Definition of forward pistol grip & "pistol style grasp"

Creeping Incrementalism
01-30-2008, 4:26 PM
This picture got me wondering:
http://www.brandonblog.com/00blog0capt.bag10608191222.jpg

Does anyone know the official published definition of "forward pistol grip"?

978.20 (c) says
http://caag.state.ca.us/firearms/regs/sb23.pdf
“forward pistol grip” means a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp forward of the trigger.

DOJ comments state that:

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/regs/fsor.pdf#xml=http://search.doj.ca.gov:8004/AGSearch/isysquery/90ac4ccb-183e-4e94-ac47-c5e471295f1a/1/hilite/The The proposed definition originally noticed to the public defined a forward pistol grip as “anyprotrusion in front of the trigger that is designed or intended to grasp and control the firearm.” As a result of public comment during the initial comment period (December 31, 1999 through February 28, 2000), the department determined the term “any protrusion” appeared to lack clarity in that it could include many shooting accessories or parts of the firearm that may be used to grasp and control the firearm, but could not be considered forward pistol grips, such as sling swivels, bipods and monopods, palm rests, etc. The definition was therefore revised by replacing “any protrusion” with “a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp.”

I tried searching for the Grip Pod on this site, and could only find comments that "this has already been discussed and it not legal." However, I could not find where this was discusses. Since monopods are okay, how can you say that some allow for a "pistol style grip, and others don't? And is an upside down carry handing mounted on the handguard okay, since I don't think one would try to grasp it as they would a pistol?

http://www.mountsplus.com/images-product/ar-15-grip_pod.JPG

Jicko
01-30-2008, 4:32 PM
The definition was therefore revised by replacing “any protrusion” with “a grip that allows for a pistol style grasp.”

Since grip-pod allows for a "pistol style grasp", therefore it is NOT legal.

Whatever you BOLDed is not in the PC or CCR, and doesn't say that monopod is OK. If your monopod allow "pistol style grasp", it is likely to be NOT ok.

Afterall, just the "forward pistol grip" really doesn't give u much benefit.

fun2none
01-30-2008, 4:45 PM
If the OLL AR is using a maglock and 10-round magazine, is not the forward pistol grip legality a moot point ?

sloguy
01-30-2008, 4:49 PM
off topic, but, whats the benefit of a carry handle down there?

sloguy
01-30-2008, 4:49 PM
If the OLL AR is using a maglock and 10-round magazine, is not the forward pistol grip legality a moot point ?

correct.

Josh3239
01-30-2008, 4:51 PM

Mag locked guns get evil features.

I am guessing so he carry it or get a better grasp on the rifle while he is shooting :rolleyes:

bohoki
01-30-2008, 6:01 PM
hmm if you use a monster man grip build can you add another monster man grip to the front handguard?

Josh3239
01-30-2008, 6:23 PM
If a MonsterMan grip isn't a pistol grip on the back of the rifle, it won't be a pistol grip on the front of the rifle. In other words yes.

Sgt Raven
01-30-2008, 6:56 PM

If you look at the top of his rifle, he doesn't have BUIS on it. So the carry handle is in case his scope goes TU. He'll just have to swap them out. ;)

Fate
01-30-2008, 8:01 PM
hmm if you use a monster man grip build can you add another monster man grip to the front handguard?

That's just crazy talk! (who's gonna post pics first?...LOL)

sloguy
01-30-2008, 8:20 PM
If you look at the top of his rifle, he doesn't have BUIS on it. So the carry handle is in case his scope goes TU. He'll just have to swap them out. ;)

seriously, kudos. i hadnt thought of that. funny how strange things come together and make perfect sense when a minute earlier they seemed silly.

Army
01-31-2008, 12:41 AM
He has it there so as to not lose it. Amazing how easy it is to drop that handle right where you KNOW it is....and not be able to find it later.

I had mine on the left side, so as to hang the rifle nicely on a wall peg........ok, so I don't get out much on this tour :)

Sgt Raven
01-31-2008, 6:11 AM
He has it there so as to not lose it. Amazing how easy it is to drop that handle right where you KNOW it is....and not be able to find it later.

I had mine on the left side, so as to hang the rifle nicely on a wall peg........ok, so I don't get out much on this tour :)

Come on Army. tell the truth. You have yours on the left side,

so you can shoot Gansta style............. :p

MikeWilliamson
02-01-2008, 5:23 AM
Come on Army. tell the truth. You have yours on the left side,

so you can shoot Gansta style............. :p

:D

It also works as a ramp-type rest for prone shooting. Hadn't thought of it, but not a bad idea.