PDA

View Full Version : Join the Brady Campaign Today!

oaklander
01-30-2008, 3:34 PM
As a spy!!!

What I would propose is that individual Calgunners look into attending some local chapter meetings. I've already contacted the Alameda and SF chapters, and I am going to figure out when their meetings are.

I'm not saying that you need to officially "join" or heaven forbid "send money" to them - what I am saying is that it might be interesting to attend some of their meetings to see what they are up to.

I'm already on their email list - but I don't find out about their plans until after they have already started them or done them.

It would be nice to get some good intel on them. . .

:D

AngelDecoys
01-30-2008, 3:38 PM
I've always been a big fan of tapping their 'postage paid' envelopes to heavy boxes, and mailing them. Better use of their funds in my view.

JeffM
01-30-2008, 4:00 PM
I've always been a big fan of tapping their 'postage paid' envelopes to heavy boxes, and mailing them. Better use of their funds in my view.

Does that really work?

383green
01-30-2008, 4:07 PM
Postage-paid envelopes can hold an awful lot of dog hair... :reddevil:

Soldier415
01-30-2008, 4:09 PM
Postage-paid envelopes can hold an awful lot of dog hair... :reddevil:

I prefer pennies...more weight and more $$$ the post office charges them

I am a rebel

Librarian
01-30-2008, 4:38 PM
Does that really work?No, not really.

USPS calls it misuse of business reply mail (BRM), and generally discards the item submitted.

It's easier and more reliable to just send those envelopes back, either empty, or with a note like "You want WHAT!?". The cost to the receivers is the staff time to process the things. BRM postage just isn't all that much (but every little bit out of their coffers helps).

wilit
01-30-2008, 4:41 PM
I heard there's some weird initiation ceremony you have to go through before you can attend meetings. I think you have to torch a gun in half and drink the special kool-aid before they teach you the secret handshake. :D

I had actually contemplated doing this, but I have little patience for their type of lunacy.

AKman
01-30-2008, 4:46 PM
Could always join and show up to a meeting and show them your OLL.

oaklander
01-30-2008, 4:47 PM
LOL, first they "de-ball" you and make you trade in your car for a minivan!

p.s. - I've been trying to get to one of the Brady meetings for the last year - they never reply to my emails.

I'm now using a female name to see if that will work.

I heard there's some weird initiation ceremony you have to go through before you can attend meetings. I think you have to torch a gun in half and drink the special kool-aid before they teach you the secret handshake. :D

I had actually contemplated doing this, but I have little patience for their type of lunacy.

wilit
01-30-2008, 4:57 PM
LOL, first they "de-ball" you and make you trade in your car for a minivan!

p.s. - I've been trying to get to one of the Brady meetings for the last year - they never reply to my emails.

I'm now using a female name to see if that will work.

Your name sounds too conservative. Try using Shiloh Skydancer. That's sounds like an anti-gunner name. :D

otalps
01-30-2008, 5:05 PM
You could always get a hold of one of their business reply envelopes and make copies. Keep a giant stack handy to mail whenever you happen past a postbox.

oaklander
01-31-2008, 10:47 AM
OK - they finally replied after me trying for 12 months to get a hold of them. The trick was to use a female name. I guess they don't accept men?

I will let you all know what I find out. . .

Davidk
01-31-2008, 11:52 AM
Hmm,
What about Erin, Pat or Terri? :43:

Rob P.
01-31-2008, 2:39 PM
Your name sounds too conservative. Try using Shiloh Skydancer. That's sounds like an anti-gunner name. :D

How did you know his real name? Are you two related? :D

REDHORSE
01-31-2008, 2:58 PM
Hmm,
What about Erin, Pat or Terri? :43:

Also, Kim...

383green
01-31-2008, 3:07 PM
Also, Kim...

Don't forget Jessie, Jamie, and even Chris (though that will probably be assumed to be male).

I could never go undercover at a Brady meeting, though. I'm just not capable of not saying what I really think.

Fate
01-31-2008, 3:08 PM
As an aside, I received my copies of the Brady Center "Stop 2" kits a few days back. $1.99 in postage, 2 large posters, a small stack of pamphlets in English and Spanish and a 12 page "Health Care Provider Reference Manual". All in all a decent amount of printing.

I just love wasting their money.

Oooohhh and I also have a form to order more materials. :jump:

Joe
01-31-2008, 3:25 PM
http://www.vertical-visions.com/_temp/postagepaid/index2.html

Santa Cruz Armory
01-31-2008, 3:38 PM
I'd just fill the reply envelopes with pics that I cut out of my old American Rifleman magazines :D

383green
01-31-2008, 3:45 PM
I'd just fill the reply envelopes with pics that I cut out of my old American Rifleman magazines :D

It would be funny to fill them with useless old fired steel shell casings, but I don't recommend trying that in real life. They'd probably misinterpret it as some sort of terr'ist threat. :rolleyes: I'll just stick with rocks, dog hair, credit card offers, etc.

Jarhead4
01-31-2008, 4:52 PM
OK - they finally replied after me trying for 12 months to get a hold of them. The trick was to use a female name. I guess they don't accept men?

I will let you all know what I find out. . .

So does that mean that they are sexiest too?

otalps
01-31-2008, 4:57 PM

They might be sexist. I highly doubt any of them are sexy though so definitely not the sexiest by any means:D

tombinghamthegreat
01-31-2008, 5:44 PM
Could always join and show up to a meeting and show them your OLL.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lmUZGdi7Ty4

you could go undercover like this clip.

G17GUY
01-31-2008, 5:51 PM
:Dhttp://youtube.com/watch?v=lmUZGdi7Ty4

you could go undercover like this clip.

:D Do It Do IT HA AH

Jarhead4
01-31-2008, 9:11 PM
They might be sexist. I highly doubt any of them are sexy though so definitely not the sexiest by any means:D

Sorry, I was finger happy.:D

SecondAmendmentgirl
02-01-2008, 6:18 AM
May'be you can sabotauge their efforts, so California gets an A- next time

New Brady Scorecard Shows Most States Lack Common Sense Gun Restrictions

Thu Jan 31, 8:15 AM ET

To: LEGAL AFFAIRS EDITORS

Contact: Peter Hamm, +1-202-898-0792, phamm@bradymail.org, for Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence

WASHINGTON, Jan. 31 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Officials in most states have done little to keep criminals and other dangerous people from easily obtaining guns, according to the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. The new redesigned scorecards are being released today for all 50 states.

Two-thirds of all states score less than 20 points out of 100. Almost half of all states score 10 points or less out of 100.

"We make it too easy for dangerous people to get dangerous weapons. Our gun laws are so weak that, in most states, there are few or no laws to prevent gun violence," says Paul Helmke, President of the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. "This is true at the federal level as well. We need effective gun laws to curb gun violence and illegal gun trafficking."

The Brady Scorecards are designed so that states can score up to 100 points across five major categories of laws: Curbing Firearm Trafficking; Strengthening Brady Background Checks; Child Safety; Banning Military-style Assault Weapons; and making it harder to carry Guns In Public Places. The national state-by-state scores are available in complete category-by-category detail at www.bradycampaign.org.

The rankings show that most states don't have laws to effectively combat gun trafficking. States like Arizona, Kentucky, Missouri, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Utah have no laws on the books to effectively combat firearm trafficking or to prevent dangerous people from gaining easy access to guns.

The state with the strongest gun laws is California with 79 points, followed by New Jersey, Connecticut, Massachusetts, and Maryland.

California took a bold new step last year by enacting the groundbreaking Crime Gun Identification Act of 2007, to require new semi-automatic handguns to be fitted with "microstamping" technology to help law enforcement identify crime guns and apprehend armed criminals. Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger signed the legislation last session. Both New Jersey and Connecticut also enacted laws last session that curb firearm trafficking.

"While advocates and officials deserve credit for strong gun laws in states like California, New Jersey, Maryland, Massachusetts, Connecticut, and New York, even more needs to be done in these, and all, states to ensure that dangerous people don't have easy access to guns," said Helmke.

The Brady Campaign scorecards provide a new and redesigned analysis of whether states are enacting the laws needed to protect citizens from gun violence. The new scorecards also show states how their gun laws can be strengthened and their scores improved.
The categories covered by the 2007 scorecards are as follows: -- States can earn up to 35 points by taking all measures needed to "Curb Firearm Trafficking." States can fully regulate the gun dealers within their borders, limit bulk purchases of handguns, provide police certain technology to identify crime guns, and require lost or stolen guns to be reported to the police. -- States can earn up to 25 points by "Strengthening Brady Background Checks." This involves requiring background checks on all gun sales and requiring a permit in order to purchase firearms. Short of universal background checks, states can also close the gun show loophole, at least requiring background checks for all gun show sales. -- States can earn up to 20 points by "Protecting Child Safety" when it comes to guns. States can require that only childproof handguns be sold within their borders, require child safety locks to be sold with each handgun, hold adults accountable for keeping guns away from kids and teens, and require handgun purchasers to be at least 21 years of age. -- States can earn up to 10 points by "Banning Military-style Assault Weapons," as well as banning high-capacity ammunition magazines. -- States can earn up to 10 points by making it harder to carry "Guns In Public Places" (except for trained law enforcement and security) and by allowing localities to "Preserve Local Control" over municipal gun laws. This includes keeping guns out of workplaces and college campuses, not forcing law enforcement to issue concealed handgun permits on demand, not permitting "shoot first" expansions in self- defense laws, and not preventing municipalities from passing their own gun laws.

We acknowledge the research of Legal Community Against Violence on state gun laws. Their publication, "Regulating Guns in America," and website served as a basis for our analysis. For more information about Legal Community Against Violence, see www.lcav.org.

As the nation's largest, non-partisan, grassroots organization leading the fight to prevent gun violence, the Brady Campaign, with its dedicated network of Million Mom March Chapters, works to enact and enforce sensible gun laws, regulations and public policies. The Brady Campaign is devoted to creating an America free from gun violence, where all Americans are safe at home, at school, at work, and in our communities.

johnny_22
02-02-2008, 6:20 AM

By working with AM, they compare the name of the applicant with the list of gun owners at the BOF, and if there is a match, reject. A non-gunowning man would be accepted quickly, as well.

Donut
02-02-2008, 10:20 AM
Hmm... you could REALLY confuse them by sending letters using the Lorem Ipsum place holder text, coupled with pennys in the envelope.

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit, sed diam nonummy nibh euismod tincidunt ut laoreet dolore magna aliquam erat volutpat. Ut wisi enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exerci tation ullamcorper suscipit lobortis nisl ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis autem vel eum iriure dolor in hendrerit in vulputate velit esse molestie consequat, vel illum dolore eu feugiat nulla facilisis at vero eros et accumsan et iusto odio dignissim qui blandit praesent luptatum zzril delenit augue duis dolore te feugait nulla facilisi.

TKM
02-02-2008, 10:28 PM
Are there any places so light in the light in the loafer types that we could take over?

Start sending in 'you know, the NRA means well and we think that they might be right' type Brady Campaign press releases. On their own stationery.

Holocanthus
02-03-2008, 12:05 AM
I prefer pennies...more weight and more $$$ the post office charges them

I am a rebel

Do not send pennies. You are sending them Money! Instead go the the local tackle store and buy lead sinkers. Much heavier than pennies.

383green
02-03-2008, 10:36 PM
Do not send pennies. You are sending them Money! Instead go the the local tackle store and buy lead sinkers. Much heavier than pennies.

Heck, don't buy anything... send rocks! Don't even send old wheel weights... keep those and melt 'em down into bullets! ;)