PDA

View Full Version : The Federal Government’s Brief in the D.C. Gun Ban Case: A Glass That Is More Than Ha

Sgt Raven
01-30-2008, 1:35 PM
The Federal Government’s Brief in the D.C. Gun Ban Case: A Glass That Is More Than Half Full

by Todd F. Gaziano and Andrew Grossman
WebMemo #1775
Although some thoughtful lovers of liberty have lamented the half-empty aspects of the U.S. Solicitor General's recently-filed brief in the D.C. gun ban case (District of Columbia v. Heller), the portion that is full is legally far more significant in securing Second Amendment rights in the arena that counts most: the Supreme Court. On careful analysis, the brief's departures from sound principle are internally inconsistent and otherwise not particularly effective. Americans should recognize the importance of the government's concessions to individual liberty and ignore its predictable, bureaucratic attempt to defend existing federal laws. That is what the High Court is most likely to do.

Reason to Rejoice

read the rest here...........http://www.heritage.org/Research/LegalIssues/wm1775.cfm

jjperl
01-30-2008, 1:56 PM
Very uplifting... thanks for the post!

Python2
01-30-2008, 2:38 PM
Uplifting indeed.......good read, thanks

FortCourageArmory
01-30-2008, 3:44 PM
I hope he's right. If so, it's another nail in the coffin of the gun-grabbers.

Outlaw Josey Wales
01-30-2008, 4:42 PM
And my favorite part......

Conclusion

For constitutionalists and gun-rights advocates, the Solicitor General's brief is a big victory. It got the big question, the one that matters, right: Americans do have a right to keep and bear arms. Though the details of how the Solicitor General would like to apply that right are disappointing, the Supreme Court will likely accord that part of the brief the weight it is due: none.

Sgt Raven
01-30-2008, 4:54 PM
And my favorite part......

Conclusion

For constitutionalists and gun-rights advocates, the Solicitor General's brief is a big victory. It got the big question, the one that matters, right: Americans do have a right to keep and bear arms. Though the details of how the Solicitor General would like to apply that right are disappointing, the Supreme Court will likely accord that part of the brief the weight it is due: none.

I sure hope so. ;)