PDA

View Full Version : ATF not really coming after owners with technical violations

berg
11-03-2013, 9:00 AM
Saw this in today's San Francisco Chronicle
http://www.sfgate.com/nation/article/How-the-NRA-became-ATF-s-biggest-enemy-4950703.php

...Neal Knox, was instrumental in turning the National Rifle Association into a sharp-edged political organization. "There was a sense of outrage - 'It could have been you or me.' "

What followed was a cascade of horror stories involving agents bursting through the doors of law-abiding gun owners, often for nothing more than possessing weapons in technical violation of gun laws.

... they energized a militant wing of the NRA that seized control of the group in 1977, a takeover that forever changed the way the nation's chief enforcer of gun laws does its job.

ATF got the message - investigations of criminal gangs and "straw purchasers" who buy guns for them are OK [to go after]; investigations of nonviolent gun owners and dealers, not so much.

CWDraco
11-03-2013, 9:33 AM
Pre-90 and Post-90 BATFE are not the same. I remember when you really did have to fear the ATF kicking your door in for paperwork errors. No joking around. They really did this type of stuff.

desert dog
11-03-2013, 8:45 PM
Pre-90 and Post-90 BATFE are not the same. I remember when you really did have to fear the ATF kicking your door in for paperwork errors. No joking around. They really did this type of stuff.

Yep I remember those days. We really thought confiscation was on the horizon. The NRA did a great job of putting it in check.

QQQ
11-04-2013, 7:28 AM
Didn't Waco happen in '93?

CWDraco
11-04-2013, 7:30 AM
I remember one article where a neighbor found out this guy was an FFL and just SUGGESTED to the ATF that he was selling guns out of his garage. He saw him give a gun to a guy who then drove away.

How did the ATF investigate this claim... 20 man dynamic entry team. No one was home, the guy was at his gun store working. They busted the front door down, cut open his safes, took all the guns and left a note on his front door frame to contact them about why they did it. No phone calls, or contact at the place of business. His home was left like that, with no front door, the whole day with ammo and all the other contents of his safes just laying on the floor.

CWDraco
11-04-2013, 7:31 AM
Didn't Waco happen in '93?

I actually think that was the straw that forced the camel to change the way it did business.

Ninask
11-04-2013, 9:29 AM
I remember one article where a neighbor found out this guy was an FFL and just SUGGESTED to the ATF that he was selling guns out of his garage. He saw him give a gun to a guy who then drove away.

How did the ATF investigate this claim... 20 man dynamic entry team. No one was home, the guy was at his gun store working. They busted the front door down, cut open his safes, took all the guns and left a note on his front door frame to contact them about why they did it. No phone calls, or contact at the place of business. His home was left like that, with no front door, the whole day with ammo and all the other contents of his safes just laying on the floor.

This is hard to believe
N

1859sharps
11-04-2013, 9:38 AM
This is hard to believe
N

not if you remember the 80's and most of the 90's. From what I understand things were even worse pre 1986. but I am too young to remember that period. But I remember the late 80's and 90's and things were pretty bad.

Shorthair
11-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Best to be home if they enforce a warrant. Doesn't matter if they are looking for a bag of weed or a truck load of machine guns. They will leave the place trashed and the door wide open when they leave. Don't understand why they are allowed to do this but........

jdberger
11-09-2013, 8:58 PM
This is hard to believe
N

Google Lawmaster Raid

berg
11-10-2013, 7:58 AM
I should probably point out that this article is only talking about the BATFE (federal) and not about the California Department of Justice Firearms Division. The DOJ may be better funded and more motivated to get otherwise law abiding people who wouldn't necessarily be committing crimes who have firearms illegally configured (either intentionally or through ignorance).

Ronin2
11-10-2013, 8:15 AM
Looks like we can all THANK THE NRA for the improvement in how the BATF does its job!!!