PDA

View Full Version : Shipping M-1 Carbine magazine to CA

cpy911
10-31-2013, 11:05 PM
I sold a new in wrap M1 carbine to a guy in CA. I am in OR. I don't know if this holds 10 or 15 rounds, but everyone on Ebay is calling them 10 rounders probably to get around their rules. IF it is really 15 rounds, can I legally ship to CA?

Thanks.

Librarian
10-31-2013, 11:22 PM
I sold a new in wrap M1 carbine to a guy in CA. I am in OR. I don't know if this holds 10 or 15 rounds, but everyone on Ebay is calling them 10 rounders probably to get around their rules. IF it is really 15 rounds, can I legally ship to CA?

Thanks.

No.

You might skate; the buyer would be in trouble, if detected.

Importing large-capacity magazines - 11 rounds and more - is illegal, unless the client/customer is verifiably exempt; that is almost all LEO.

cpy911
10-31-2013, 11:26 PM
Could the magazine or another magazine be broken down into individual parts and shipped to CA as parts kit? I read something about these being spare parts and it is up to the buyer in CA to assemble the parts according to local laws. Could he build a magazine from these parts so it is 10 or less round capacity legally?

Librarian
11-01-2013, 12:33 AM
If the transaction is complete before Jan 1, 2014, yes.

After that, new law is in effect that appears to ban that practice, though the details are still unclear.

Librarian
11-01-2013, 12:34 AM

After that, new law is in effect that appears to ban that practice, though the details are still unclear.

cpy911
11-01-2013, 10:39 AM
Understood. Thanks.

cpy911
11-05-2013, 2:26 PM
So, the original ebay ad that I sold the item noted it was sealed in package.

I emailed the buyer numerous times asking if it was ok to amend the sale by taking the magazine apart and converting it to a rebuild kit. I never heard back.
I then called a business number to the shop that the magazine is supposed to ship to and got the manager at the shop and says he takes mail for the buyer and takes it accross the street to his hangar. I told him to tell his buddy to check his email.

I finally got tired and sent an ultimatum to respond back or I amend the ad as a rebuild kit. Never heard anything. So I write a CYA letter affixed to the bag of parts in the box stating that he is to use the magazine "parts" legally or ship the whole thing back before opening the main bag of parts.

Sometimes I sense a sting on this. Not sure. I have seriously covered myself with documentation, pictures, files, emails, everything. The packing slip now has the original in wrap amended to say rebuild kit only. The buyer might be frustrated that his new magazine is a rebuild kit, but he should have got back with me.

If I don't ship it, I am out Ebay fees and have already had this happen to a guy in a banned city in IL.

I am certain I am legal and if they guy is LE it will be interesting. Anyhow, it will be an adventure.

Looks like this will all go away as an issue or option Jan 2014. Your CA laws are very interesting...a prelude of what is to come in my state here in OR...hopefully not. It is a good warning of the anti 2A insanity that is out there though.

Understood. Thanks.

stix213
11-05-2013, 2:55 PM
Looks like this will all go away as an issue or option Jan 2014. Your CA laws are very interesting...a prelude of what is to come in my state here in OR...hopefully not. It is a good warning of the anti 2A insanity that is out there though.

Maybe or maybe not. There is a new ban on magazine "conversion kits" that goes into effect in january. The assumption is that this targets disassembled magazines commonly referred to as rebuild or repair kits, as with all gun laws written by people who only know guns based on what they see in the movies, the actual definition in the penal code doesn't make much sense and doesn't seem to exactly apply to rebuild kits with a layman's reading of it. It will likely take the courts to decide if/when someone gets charged as to what the hell they put in the code.

cpy911
11-05-2013, 4:15 PM
San Fran Sicko is suing these guys for selling rebuild kits!
They are in TX? WTF?

https://www.exilemachine.net/shop/pages/help-us-fight-the-san-francisco-lawsuit-39.html?zenid=7ihrioaj1nnk9npbj5624tg105

rambutan316
11-06-2013, 12:42 PM
I would disassemble before shipping just to be on the safe side.