PDA

View Full Version : Mossberg MVP Predator

Sparks57
10-31-2013, 9:30 PM
So I'm thinking about adding to my arsenal. Currently, I have an AK47, Rossi 30-30 lever action Rio Grande, Taurus .38 revolver and Ruger 9mm P89.

I've been thinking about something that shouts beyond 200 yards. I'm trying to find a reasonably priced weapon, but something that is accurate, low maintenance, but can still "reach out touch" my target.

As a side note, I plan on purchasing a .22 Rifle for the collection. I'm telling myself it's for my son who is 11 years old, but really it's going to be part of the home arsenal. I'm pretty sold on the Marlin Semi-Auto 95, only $165 at Big 5, so my boy get's his Christmas present, and I can round out the arsenal.

Okay, back to my question. So, I've been thinking of the Ruger American Rifle 30-06. I like the feel of the gun.

But today, I was shown a Mossberg MVP Predator. Interesting gun, probably max out at 500 yards, shoots 5.56, but accepts AR magazines. Anyone have any input on the Mossberg, I really liked the bolt action, and feel of the rifle. I felt the same way about the American. I liked the AR Mag ability, and felt like I could make a medium range quasi sniper rifle out of it. I haven't shot a bolt action since I was 15 (now 46), so any input would be great.

Thanks...

bubbasks
10-31-2013, 9:51 PM
A few recent posts on it if you search. I cant say enough good things about my varminter 24". Great rifle at a great price. Most are shooting sub moa. It wont disappoint.

Nickgt40
10-31-2013, 10:34 PM
If it had a better twist rate it would be a great rifle, regardless though for what you get its definitely a good buy.

Squidward
11-01-2013, 7:57 AM
For those with an AR (or AR mags) it's a "no-brainer". Mine has had no issues at all with any make of magazine. Accuracy is very good given my abilities ( I'm a 2 MOA kind of guy :D) , with a 3x9 scope attached. Function has also been very good with many different types of .223/5.56 ammo, including steel cased.

Serious precision shooters probably won't be interested in it but for the average guy it's a good buy.

vincewarde
11-01-2013, 8:40 AM
I can't comment on the MVP from first hand experience, but do yourself a favor and buy a 10/22 instead of the Marlin. I've owned both and their is no comparison.

Divernhunter
11-01-2013, 10:12 AM
I have a 10/22 and a couple of Marlin Model 60's as well as a couple of other 22RF rifles.
I like the Marlin 60 with the tube feed over the 10/22 especially when I had to load mags for my daughter when she was young. She could load her Marlin 60 on her own. Mine are very accurate also.

The marlin MVP is a nice rifle. The Ruger American is a great little rifle but kicks pretty good from the bench since it is light. A limbsaver pad and/or a PAST shoulder recoil pad really helps tame the Ruger. A 223 at 500 yards........well? Maybe for paper punching but not hunting. If I bought a Ruger American I would get a 260rem, 7mm-08 or 308win myself.

Grumpyoldretiredcop
11-01-2013, 10:39 AM
I have the Varmint version of the MVP. It's an honest 1 MOA rifle, even in my hands (and I mark my calendar when I manage 1 MOA, it ain't often!).

Sorry I don't have any opinion of the other two rifles, having neither owned nor fired them.

bubbasks
11-01-2013, 12:07 PM
I have the Varmint version of the MVP. It's an honest 1 MOA rifle, even in my hands (and I mark my calendar when I manage 1 MOA, it ain't often!).

Sorry I don't have any opinion of the other two rifles, having neither owned nor fired them.

Shooting off a rest with reloads? Maybe mine is the exception but it shoots sub or 1 more often than not.

Only issue i have is the stock is very short for prone shooting from a bipod

smittty
11-01-2013, 5:59 PM
My Predator shoots 0.5 MOA with cheap Russian ammo. The bolt sucks but the accuracy is freakishly good.

I noticed the bolt on the Patrol model is smoother and the only difference that I can see is the black coating so I'm guessing it helps with smoothernng the bolt or they are machined better.

If was to buy over again I think I go for the Patrol with a QD scope. I love that short 16" barrel and fiber optic sights.

eqlzr
11-01-2013, 6:25 PM
I have a Mossberg MVP Patrol. Please don't buy one. They're a bit hard to find, and I wanna buy another one.

Sparks57
11-01-2013, 8:03 PM
Thanks for all of the great input. I think I may have found my Birthday present, I may have to check out the Patrol as well.
I'll also take a look at the 10/22, price will be a driver on this decision.
As a newbie to the site, I'm so impressed will all of the posters. I really appreciate your help.

davidb
11-01-2013, 9:00 PM
Thanks for all of the great input. I think I may have found my Birthday present, I may have to check out the Patrol as well.
I'll also take a look at the 10/22, price will be a driver on this decision.
As a newbie to the site, I'm so impressed will all of the posters. I really appreciate your help.

the 10/22's are nice but a lot of what you hear about them is just hype

the only logical reason i can see for getting the 10/22 is if you plan on buying an aftermarket stock and hi cap mags

the marlin 795 is a fine rifle, just as accurate as the 10/22's ive shot, my only complaint is ive seen a couple 795 front sights come loose, but thats a simple fix...also not much aftermarket available

the savage 64 is another cheap semi .22, i owned one and it was more accurate out of the box than the 10/22's and 795's ive shot...the only thing i didnt like about the savage was it is a bit of a pain to take apart and the way the bolt locks back leaves very little room to fit a bore snake

the marlin 60 mentioned above are very fun and reliable rifles as well, you cant really go wrong with any of them

smittty
11-01-2013, 9:19 PM
I have a Mossberg MVP Patrol. Please don't buy one. They're a bit hard to find, and I wanna buy another one.

Turners Oxnard, have one on the rack :eek:

bubbasks
11-01-2013, 9:54 PM
the savage 64 is another cheap semi .22, i owned one and it was more accurate out of the box than the 10/22's and 795's ive shot...the only thing i didnt like about the savage was it is a bit of a pain to take apart and the way the bolt locks back leaves very little room to fit a bore snake

I love the accuracy on my 64 but it has a habbit of eating the top of the mags with the bolt. Other then that it was well morth the 100 i paid

davidb
11-02-2013, 12:07 AM
I love the accuracy on my 64 but it has a habbit of eating the top of the mags with the bolt. Other then that it was well morth the 100 i paid

i never had that issue but now that i think about it the mags did seem to be made of a kindof soft metal

Grumpyoldretiredcop
11-02-2013, 12:51 AM
Shooting off a rest with reloads? Maybe mine is the exception but it shoots sub or 1 more often than not.

Only issue i have is the stock is very short for prone shooting from a bipod

Off the bench with a bipod, Federal bulk 55 gr. hardball. The rifle is capable, it's the operator that needs more practice.

BrokerB
11-02-2013, 10:41 PM
You should buy a mosin nagant and 2000 rounds of ammo for under $500. .556 is a mouse round.

Masterdebater
11-02-2013, 11:27 PM
got mine and love it to death, bolt is sloppy but doesnt effect the operation at all. mines one of the few (apparently) that accepts pmags just fine. but im moving to a different platform here shortly so im selling it to a buddy

smittty
11-03-2013, 4:17 PM
They take the gen 2 Pmags, you just need to sand the shoulders of the feed lips as they are a bit too thick, shoulder only not the top. The gen 3 mags fit well without modification and the short 10 rounders are especially nice.

SHEPHERD321
11-03-2013, 4:28 PM
At 46 years old your arsenal should be much larger, buy both and then add some more.

Masterdebater
11-03-2013, 8:38 PM
aye smitty, mine are the gen 3 pmags. work very great and solid

vincewarde
11-03-2013, 9:38 PM
You should buy a mosin nagant and 2000 rounds of ammo for under $500. .556 is a mouse round.

Funny thing..... I have the discovery channel on "Yukon Men". I just watched one of the guys drop a 120-150 lb. wolf in his tracks with a body shot from a 5.56. I think wolves are a bit bigger than mice.... I have also talked to more than one person who saw combat in the "sand box". While they did complain about the lack of stopping power on regards to the 9mm ball round, they had no complaints about the stopping power of the 5.56 - and one of them really liked the fact that he could carry a few hundred rounds on strippers in addition to his magazines.

I do argee with your advice though - every shooter should own a Mosin... if for no other reason, just because the ammo is so cheap. I own two - plus both a bolt gun and a semi in 5.56.

smittty
11-03-2013, 10:13 PM
Of the few MVP options I'd recommend the Patrol. I can't justify getting one as I already have the Predator but if I could do it over I'd buy the Patrol.

Rigma
11-03-2013, 10:50 PM
Of the few MVP options I'd recommend the Patrol. I can't justify getting one as I already have the Predator but if I could do it over I'd buy the Patrol.

Why the Patrol over the Predator?

Laminate stock vs Synthetic for weight (& Picatinny Rail)?

18.5" fluted Med Bull vs 16.25" Med Bull barrel?

iron sights?

Also, on the Mossberg website they show the Patrol both with a flash hider and without. Is the flash hider an "add-on" for the threaded barrel version?

Full Clip
11-03-2013, 10:57 PM
Looking for the Patrol myself.

BrokerB
11-04-2013, 10:18 AM
i should tongue in cheek the "mouse" round ..I would in no way want to be shot by it. I just like the size rounds that turn cover into concealment my self: ) I would like to add a mvp to my list, but its just farther down the line. I would like a mag fed .7.62 nato before mvp though. nothing that mvp is going to do what the basic m4forgery cant do. accuracy being minute of man is plenty over a few hundred yards

smittty
11-04-2013, 7:32 PM

iron sights?

Also, on the Mossberg website they show the Patrol both with a flash hider and without. Is the flash hider an "add-on" for the threaded barrel version?

The Patrol has a wood stock painted black. I used to think it was a synthetic of some sort but the last one I looked at one it had a scratch along the top edge of the forend and its a light colored wood.

I love the fiber optic iron sights! Use standard Weaver rings and you have a QD scope that gives you the option to use either.

16" barrel is great for 233 and the short overall length is awesome plus the flash hider protects the muzzle. It's a really great gun.

bob7122
11-04-2013, 7:38 PM
get the 10/22 it is great

and i own the mossberg mvp 20 inch barrel. bolt sucks, mine won't take thermold mags that well, but i like the feel and i still need to mess with the trigger and put it on its lightest setting.

bombadillo
11-04-2013, 7:54 PM
I own a 24" varmint model, but am a mod on mossbergmvp.com as well. I love my gun, and invite you to come check out the forum, and definitely buy one. They are one of the few guns that shoot sub moa out of the box under 1k. Along with a very few savage HBAR's, and Tikkas, the MVP is a phenomenal shooter out of the box. I get .3-.4moa with regular success out of Hornady Vmax 52-60gr ammo. Its kind of freakish really.

bombadillo
11-04-2013, 7:57 PM
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/bombadillo08/Calguns%20-%20MVP%20file/IMAG0604_zps0a03e7e0.jpg

Here are typical groups with the MVP on a decent day. Not the best by far, but decent either way.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l122/bombadillo08/Calguns%20-%20MVP%20file/20130117_165125.jpg

And the rifle itself.

Sparks57
11-04-2013, 8:06 PM
Great input, I really do appreciate it I did buy the Marlin 795 .22 over the weekend. It was on sale for $165 at Big 5.
I am still leaning towards the MVP 18.5 Predator and adding a good scope.
Probably going to have to wait a week or two, turns out guns and ammo can put a dent in the wallet,

LBDamned
11-04-2013, 8:36 PM
The Patrol has a wood stock painted black. I used to think it was a synthetic of some sort but the last one I looked at one it had a scratch along the top edge of the forend and its a light colored wood.

I love the fiber optic iron sights! Use standard Weaver rings and you have a QD scope that gives you the option to use either.

16" barrel is great for 233 and the short overall length is awesome plus the flash hider protects the muzzle. It's a really great gun.

Patrol is not wood... It's plastic.

I was wrong - confirmed wood

twolane
11-06-2013, 8:33 PM
It's threads like this that make me really impatient for the MVP in 308

Rigma
11-06-2013, 10:08 PM
Yea yea, I know it's Big 5...but 20% off a decently priced MVP has me itching.

I still wonder if I can order a replacement predator stock to drop the varmint model in...Mossberg never did answer that question I e-mailed.

I really don't want the 24" barrel, or the varmint stock...sometimes patience is hard.

I will resist this...maybe

http://images.edirect1.com/clients/Big5537/2013/11_2013nov/110613_eblast/1106_coupon.jpg

smittty
11-07-2013, 8:15 AM
Patrol is not wood... It's plastic.

It felt plastic to me too but the last one I held had a tiny chip and I could see ligh colored material under the finish that felt like wood. During shot show Mossberg said it was wood, then some articles said it was synthetic and when I first held it I would have swore it was synthetic but this last one I held had the chip and now I think it's wood.

Only way to be sure is to remove the action and take a chisel to a spot on the inside..."destructive verification".

LBDamned
11-07-2013, 8:56 AM
It felt plastic to me too but the last one I held had a tiny chip and I could see ligh colored material under the finish that felt like wood. During shot show Mossberg said it was wood, then some articles said it was synthetic and when I first held it I would have swore it was synthetic but this last one I held had the chip and now I think it's wood.

Only way to be sure is to remove the action and take a chisel to a spot on the inside..."destructive verification".

I have one. It is not wood.

I was wrong - confirmed wood

jvpark
11-09-2013, 7:08 PM

iron sights?

I have a varmint that I put up FS/T because I got a patrol. I want the iron sights, threaded barrel and shorter configuration. I love my varmint (24") and it performs outstanding but I have a .308 for longer ranges. I wanted the patrol for inside 500 yards and the patrol is the right size for it. The varmint I can go 600 with no problems, maybe longer.
At 200 yard I can get 1".

I can wait to put my Effin A brake on the patrol. The follow up shot will be soo fast.

Rigma
11-09-2013, 11:54 PM
I have a varmint that I put up FS/T because I got a patrol. I want the iron sights, threaded barrel and shorter configuration. I love my varmint (24") and it performs outstanding but I have a .308 for longer ranges. I wanted the patrol for inside 500 yards and the patrol is the right size for it. The varmint I can go 600 with no problems, maybe longer.
At 200 yard I can get 1".

I can wait to put my Effin A brake on the patrol. The follow up shot will be soo fast.

Good info, thanks. Hand loads with that sweet tunable comp? Ok, you have convinced me to be patient and wait for the patrol since I will be limited to 300 yards most of the time anyway.

Jules
11-10-2013, 8:04 AM
I just won one of these at an NRA dinner. Glad to hear it's a decent shooter right out of the box; now I can stop swiping my husband's ranch rifle for varmint hunting. Is the scope that comes on it any good?

smittty
11-10-2013, 10:19 AM
I just won one of these at an NRA dinner. Glad to hear it's a decent shooter right out of the box; now I can stop swiping my husband's ranch rifle for varmint hunting. Is the scope that comes on it any good?

No the scope and the rings suck. I recommend the Weaver Tactical 3-10x40. It has a mil-dot reticle with mil adjustments. It's a midwayusa exclusive, costs $299 and normally has free shipping. It's perfect on this rifle.

bubbasks
11-10-2013, 10:51 AM
I put a p-223 on mine. Inexpensive, works great and ranges easily

LBDamned
11-10-2013, 1:13 PM
I use Bushnell Throw Down PCL with Leupold QRW Low rings (lowest semi-quick detach I could find)...

Good scope for this rifle and the low rings keep a decent cheek weld. I prefer lever style quick detach, but none are low enough (for this setup)... the QRW are decent and relatively quick - at least no tools required, so transitioning to iron sights is pretty swift.

jvpark
11-14-2013, 9:42 PM
Good info, thanks. Hand loads with that sweet tunable comp? Ok, you have convinced me to be patient and wait for the patrol since I will be limited to 300 yards most of the time anyway.

handloads make you shoot like a pro... my 24' varmint at 100 was silly... three shot groups look like clover leafs.
55gr v-max w/ 24.5 varget...

bubbasks
11-14-2013, 10:05 PM
handloads make you shoot like a pro... my 24' varmint at 100 was silly... three shot groups look like clover leafs.
55gr v-max w/ 24.5 varget...

Try the 53gr vmax. Same result. Also likes 69gr smk. I really wanna try the 77's for grins but shop only has 500rd packs of it and the 90s

smittty
11-15-2013, 8:15 AM
I use Bushnell Throw Down PCL with Leupold QRW Low rings (lowest semi-quick detach I could find)...

Good scope for this rifle and the low rings keep a decent cheek weld. I prefer lever style quick detach, but none are low enough (for this setup)... the QRW are decent and relatively quick - at least no tools required, so transitioning to iron sights is pretty swift.

On the Patrol I would use the lowest Weaver rings at suit the size of the scope. Their rings are QD they now call them "Sure Grip Detachable" rings. They work great and are inexpensive compared to Warne and Leupold QD rings.

I would get a mil-mil scope just to make the experience just a little more interesting. Ranging with the mil dot scope is fun and with some practice you'll learn your bullet drop and how to use the reticle for hold-over. I'm really impressed with the Weaver Tactical 3-10x40. It fits perfectly both size and application wise on my Predator.

Gary13
11-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Looking at buying a Predator soon, and will probably use either a Nikon P223 or the Leupold Mark AR, in a 3-9.

smittty
11-15-2013, 2:38 PM
Looking at buying a Predator soon, and will probably use either a Nikon P223 or the Leupold Mark AR, in a 3-9.

The Leupold Mark AR is not as clear as the Weaver Grand Slam 3-10x40. I bought a Mark AR and returned it. It's a cheaper scope made to look sexy, Avoid!

Fishslayer
11-15-2013, 3:01 PM

If you're after quick followups with a bolt gun you need to look into the 6.5mm Mannlicher-Carcano. The Warren Commission found it to be the slickest most rapid firing bolt gun on the planet. Eye popping accuracy, too. ;)

I got the Varmint with 24" heavy fluted barrel and laminate stock.. Need to find a scope. A MKII Stainless Competition pistol kind of moved that back a bit. So did getting laid off. :(

Sure hope the bolt smooths out with use. My Mosins are smoother...

1859sharps
11-15-2013, 5:03 PM
So I'm thinking about adding to my arsenal. Currently, I have an AK47, Rossi 30-30 lever action Rio Grande, Taurus .38

3 guns do not make an arsenal....as such I think you NEED to buy the Mossberg :D

bombadillo
11-15-2013, 8:59 PM
I concur with that statement 1859sharps

jvpark
11-16-2013, 4:41 PM
If you're after quick followups with a bolt gun you need to look into the 6.5mm Mannlicher-Carcano. The Warren Commission found it to be the slickest most rapid firing bolt gun on the planet. Eye popping accuracy, too. ;)

I got the Varmint with 24" heavy fluted barrel and laminate stock.. Need to find a scope. A MKII Stainless Competition pistol kind of moved that back a bit. So did getting laid off. :(

Sure hope the bolt smooths out with use. My Mosins are smoother...

Primary Arms 4-14x FFP scope... loved it on my Varmint.

LBDamned
11-27-2013, 7:48 AM

you are absolutely correct, and I was entirely wrong...

more detail here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=853040