PDA

View Full Version : sawn in half lower legality?

psssniper
01-29-2008, 4:32 PM
Hypothetically speaking if you took, lets say a Colt AR-15 lower and cut it in half lengthwise. Then belt sanded about 1/8th off to prevent you from ever JB welding it back together. Then you mounted the left half and made a neat plaque lamenting Roberti/Roos and California. Would you be breaking any laws by owning and/or having this plaque hanging on your wall? Of course all this cutting and mounting would have occured a long time ago.

hawk1
01-29-2008, 4:34 PM
I don't think they ever had a registration period opened for half an AR lower...:p
Not to say they wouldn't try though.
Your legal.

bohoki
01-29-2008, 4:36 PM
you know i bet a 2 piece reciever could be made to work with the mag catch in place and some anti-walk hammer trigger pins

of course if you only own half there is no way it would function

Prowler
01-29-2008, 6:00 PM
Hypothetically speaking if you took, lets say a Colt AR-15 lower and cut it in half lengthwise. Then belt sanded about 1/8th off to prevent you from ever JB welding it back together. Then you mounted the left half and made a neat plaque lamenting Roberti/Roos and California. Would you be breaking any laws by owning and/or having this plaque hanging on your wall? Of course all this cutting and mounting would have occured a long time ago.

It wouldn't be a lower if someone sawed it in half. It would be a fragment of a destroyed lower...

tgriffin
01-29-2008, 6:04 PM
I think that would qualify as having been "de-milled" for the purposes of the DOJ and BATFE.

ke6guj
01-29-2008, 6:10 PM
actually for the ATF, demil for MG receivers require 3 specific cuts with a torch displacing 1/4" each cut. Would those be the same for an AR receiver?

CCWFacts
01-29-2008, 6:21 PM
Yes, I don't remember the exact specifics but to convert a receiver into a non-receiver I believe requires multiple torch cuts. If you saw a receiver in half it's still a receiver, I think.

hoffmang
01-29-2008, 7:06 PM
One does not have to comply with BATFE rules on the receiver side. The reason BATFE is so strict is that constructive possession applies to machine guns and the receiver destruction policy is really in regards to those.

There is no constructive possession of lowers. If you cut it in half you are completely safe as DOJ BoF even states that an unassembled lower - even named - is not an AW per se as the frame is not a firearm for the purposes of the AW statutes.

If you're feeling daring you could have just mounted the assembled lower in Lucite back in the day...

-Gene

GI-M1
01-29-2008, 9:50 PM
There is no constructive possession of lowers. If you cut it in half you are completely safe as DOJ BoF even states that an unassembled lower - even named - is not an AW per se as the frame is not a firearm for the purposes of the AW statutes.

Does that mean that if you shipped a Colt (a named AW receiver) into CA, put it into your sock drawer, and that's legal?? Does that also mean that if DoJ ever opens the flood gates for use someday register our OLL's that you would be able to register that 'named' receiver at the same time?

artherd
01-29-2008, 10:04 PM
The bare lower almost certainly is not an AW, witness AB2728 tried to add language to make it an AW, but NRA had that bounced.

You could mount the whole thing in resin and be pretty good to go.

PIRATE14
01-30-2008, 6:44 AM
The bare lower almost certainly is not an AW, witness AB2728 tried to add language to make it an AW, but NRA had that bounced.

You could mount the whole thing in resin and be pretty good to go.

There are conflicting DOJ memos on this issue but if it was cut in half...perfectly okay....

Memos aren't the law of course.......;)