PDA

View Full Version : International Treaty

Ironballsmkinzy
10-30-2013, 12:44 PM
http://washingtonexaminer.com/ted-cruz-criticizes-doj-for-arguing-international-treaty-can-trump-the-constitution/article/2538205

thoughts

cr250chevy
10-30-2013, 12:59 PM
Another attempt to further erode our constitutional rights.

SonofWWIIDI
10-30-2013, 1:22 PM
Politicians again trying to inflate their power over the people. Even if it goes against the Constitution. Anything to increase their base of power!

rootuser
10-30-2013, 3:10 PM
It's really the DOJ overstepping their bounds. No surprise.

ja308
10-31-2013, 2:46 PM
This is exactly why democrats cannot be trusted with leadership roles !
We fought this same agenda with Clintoon who eliminated 2/3 rds of FFLs .

8 years of W Bush and we had none of this dangerous gun grabbing activity !
Even his father would never have attempted such an outrage !

robcoe
10-31-2013, 3:25 PM
I don't know the details of the current case in the article, but the Treaty Vs Constitution argument is long settled.

Reid V Covert(1957) settled this, maybe the DOJ should read up

The Court found:
"this Court has regularly and uniformly recognized the supremacy of the Constitution over a treaty,"

"No agreement with a foreign nation can confer power on the Congress, or on any other branch of Government, which is free from the restraints of the Constitution."

Apocalypsenerd
11-02-2013, 7:35 PM
That they were going to try this should have been obvious. That they are this corrupt should concern everyone.

Lucky for us, the NRA was not of the same complacent mindset as many of the folks around here. They will likely spend considerable money trying to prevent the Feds from stating that international treaties trump the constitution.

At some point, I expect those of us who value liberty to lose the political and legal fight. 10 years ago, I didn't think it would happen in our lifetimes. Unfortunately, I am concerned it is happening now. The number of people who value all liberties is dwindling.