PDA

View Full Version : Fireman gun perks?

vandal
01-29-2008, 10:36 AM
What are the firearm-related exemptions that firemen can take advantage of?

hawk1
01-29-2008, 10:38 AM
I don't think they have any. Do any positions in the fire department have peace officer standings?

Soldier415
01-29-2008, 10:38 AM

They get lots of hose...;)

troyus
01-29-2008, 10:40 AM
The water cannon.

bear93445
01-29-2008, 10:41 AM
Concealed carry water cannon...Just don't wet yourself!
:jump:

vandal
01-29-2008, 10:42 AM
I know it is not technically firearms-related but as an example my understanding is that auto knives are okay for firemen. I thought firemen could order guns direct but I could be totally off.

scootergmc
01-29-2008, 10:45 AM

Arson investigators are armed peace officers (LEO), and have those exemptions...

There are no firearm related exemptions for firefighters.

DesertGunner
01-29-2008, 3:50 PM
Except for investigators, why would you even think there would or should be exemptions for firemen?

grywlfbg
01-29-2008, 3:55 PM
The only thing I could think of is it could help you get a CCW as you could become friends w/ the Police Chief/Sheriff who are the ones who decide who gets CCWs. My assumption is that cops would view firemen as "good people" and give you a leg up for that.

But I don't know of anything codified.

bluestaterebel
01-29-2008, 4:06 PM
They get lots of hose...;)
:rofl2:

p7m8jg
01-29-2008, 4:24 PM
+1 for Arson investigators but IRRC its only while they're "on-duty", I'd have to do a reading from the Book of Penal to be sure...

metalhead357
01-29-2008, 6:43 PM
exemptions?

Maybe from the wife...who else can go out rock hard & ready, get into HOT situations and come home tired and wet (and smelly) and still get some?:p

tyrist
01-29-2008, 7:24 PM
Arson investigators have full time Peace Officer status I believe.

MustangO4
01-29-2008, 7:41 PM
Under the PC (12301 I think) firemen, like cops and .mil can, if they can get "the boss" to sign off on it, can get SBR, SBS, AOW and Destructive Device. Now, how the dept will justify you getting a 20mm Lahti cannon, I dunno, but it's in there.

LECTRIKHED
01-29-2008, 9:05 PM
There are no exemptions for firefighters. Same thing for paramedics. You are a civilian. (Police are also but don't think they are.) No special treatment by the legislature. You cannot buy hicaps or anything else. No off list handguns.

Arson investigators are LEO. They get the standard LEO benefits. Firefighters are not LEO.

I think it is sad that some people including some LEO think they are more entitled to own firearms than normal citizens.

bohoki
01-29-2008, 9:28 PM
all i know is that their fringe benefit of ammo turned in by little old ladies

bohoki
01-29-2008, 9:33 PM
There are no exemptions for firefighters. Same thing for paramedics. You are a civilian. (Police are also but don't think they are.) No special treatment by the legislature. You cannot buy hicaps or anything else. No off list handguns.

Arson investigators are LEO. They get the standard LEO benefits. Firefighters are not LEO.

I think it is sad that some people including some LEO think they are more entitled to own firearms than normal citizens.

does anybody know where it says in the law that only law enforcement can buy high capacity magazines

the law says that you can only sell them if you have a permit but does that part of the law specify that only law enforcement officers can be your only customer?

sorry i'm lazy and cant find the law that says that

jamesob
01-29-2008, 9:51 PM
it might make it a little easier to get a ccw if your local sheriff issues them out. most of the cdf around my place have ccw.

Hopi
01-29-2008, 10:02 PM
does anybody know where it says in the law that only law enforcement can buy high capacity magazines

the law says that you can only sell them if you have a permit but does that part of the law specify that only law enforcement officers can be your only customer?

sorry i'm lazy and cant find the law that says that

I don't believe that it is illegal to buy standard capacity (10+) magazines. Only the manufacture, importation, lending, and/or sale of these magazines is controlled and illegal for non-permitees/non-LEO.

Stanze
01-29-2008, 10:06 PM
I think GLOCK may offer their law-enforcement discount to EMTs and Fire Fighters also.

Librarian
01-29-2008, 10:11 PM

sorry i'm lazy and cant find the law that says thatIt's an exception to 12020
12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
(19) The sale of, giving of, lending of, importation into this state of, or purchase of, any large-capacity magazine to or by any federal, state, county, city and county, or city agency that is charged with the enforcement of any law, for use by agency employees in the discharge of their official duties whether on or off duty, and where the use is authorized by the agency and is within the course and scope of their duties.
(20) The sale to, lending to, transfer to, purchase by, receipt of, or importation into this state of, a large-capacity magazine by a sworn peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of his or her duties.
(21) The sale or purchase of any large-capacity magazine to or by a person licensed pursuant to Section 12071.
[ and so on, out to exception 30 ]

SemiAutoSam
01-29-2008, 10:16 PM
Firefighters are Sworn Officers.

I didn't say they were LE Officers but they are Officers non the less.

I have family and friends that have worked for LACOFD for the last 40 years.

Ill ask them or their dept head.

Does the law state the Officers must be LEO or just sworn officers ?

Clarify this and there might be a angle.

ETA: With a little google search I am OTO that a Firefighter is not a Sworn Peace Officer.

jamesob
01-30-2008, 12:07 PM
THERE NOT LE BUT THEY ARE UNDER THE LAW PUBLIC SAFETY AND DO HAVE SEPERATE POWERS UNDER THE LAW

Soldier415
01-30-2008, 12:31 PM
THERE NOT LE BUT THEY ARE UNDER THE LAW PUBLIC SAFETY AND DO HAVE SEPERATE POWERS UNDER THE LAW

And apparently those powers include unrestricted use of Caps Lock ;) :p

homerm14
01-30-2008, 12:52 PM

Really? I'm fairly sure that I'm a civilian (even though I'm a sworn peace officer).
Some cities have public saftey officers, who spend part of there time as police officers, and part of there time as firefighters.

nhanson
01-30-2008, 1:35 PM
I'm not LEO or fire dept however, in Kern Co. being a fireman/Paramedic is justification for a CCW as I'm told by active and retire fire dept/paramedic folks I shoot with. Don't know what the policy is for OTJ carry in Kern but, many do as I understand it!

Enjoy

DesertGunner
01-30-2008, 5:20 PM
"sworn officers" plainly does NOT refer to firefighters, and it would be downright stupid for a firefighter who is not a LEO to try and get away with something under that provision. Everyone knows it refers to cops.

bohoki
01-30-2008, 7:28 PM
"sworn officers" plainly does NOT refer to firefighters, and it would be downright stupid for a firefighter who is not a LEO to try and get away with something under that provision. Everyone knows it refers to cops.

well obviously everybody doesn't know or this discussion wouldnt be happening

the law doesn't ban the buying of hi-cap magazines

and from the

It's an exception to 12020
Quote:
12020. (a) Any person in this state who does any of the following is punishable by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year or in the state prison:
(2) Commencing January 1, 2000, manufactures or causes to be manufactured, imports into the state, keeps for sale, or offers or exposes for sale, or who gives, or lends, any large-capacity magazine.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to any of the following:
(19) The sale of, giving of, lending of, importation into this state of, or purchase of, any large-capacity magazine to or by any federal, state, county, city and county, or city agency that is charged with the enforcement of any law, for use by agency employees in the discharge of their official duties whether on or off duty, and where the use is authorized by the agency and is within the course and scope of their duties.
(20) The sale to, lending to, transfer to, purchase by, receipt of, or importation into this state of, a large-capacity magazine by a sworn peace officer as defined in Chapter 4.5 (commencing with Section 830) of Title 3 of Part 2 who is authorized to carry a firearm in the course and scope of his or her duties.
(21) The sale or purchase of any large-capacity magazine to or by a person licensed pursuant to Section 12071.
[ and so on, out to exception 30 ]
01-29-2008 10:06 PM

it confuses me becuase you need to have a hi-cap sales permit to sell but "leo people" are exempt so why even have the permit to sell system?

unless they intended to make it illegal for joe civillian to sell his hi capacity magazines to a law enforcement officers

LECTRIKHED
01-30-2008, 8:51 PM
Really? I'm fairly sure that I'm a civilian (even though I'm a sworn peace officer).
Some cities have public saftey officers, who spend part of there time as police officers, and part of there time as firefighters.

The comment was not directed at you personally or every police officer. Many LEOs do not consider themselves civilians. I'm glad that you sound like one of the good ones out there.

What bothers me are people who hold police, or firefighter jobs and think they are somehow special and should be allowed to own guns that others aren't. They don't get it, they are normal civilians equal to the rest of us. Doctors save more lives than police and firefighters combined, but they do not have the same attitude.

scootergmc
01-30-2008, 9:03 PM
The comment was not directed at you personally or every police officer. Many LEOs do not consider themselves civilians. I'm glad that you sound like one of the good ones out there.

What bothers me are people who hold police, or firefighter jobs and think they are somehow special and should be allowed to own guns that others aren't. They don't get it, they are normal civilians equal to the rest of us. Doctors save more lives than police and firefighters combined, but they do not have the same attitude.

And doctors probably kill more people too... :eek:

mymonkeyman
01-31-2008, 12:19 AM
The key is to aim for the top:

Cal. Penal Code Sec. 820.3:
"The following persons are peace officers . . . (e) The State Fire Marshal and assistant or deputy state fire marshals appointed pursuant to Section 13103 of the Health and Safety Code, provided that the primary duty of these peace officers shall be the enforcement of the law as that duty is set forth in Section 13104 of that code."

Better than those dentist police:
"(a) Persons employed by the Division of Investigation of the Department of Consumer Affairs and investigators of the Medical Board of California and the Board of Dental Examiners, who are designated by the Director of Consumer Affairs, provided that the primary duty of these peace officers shall be the enforcement of the law as that duty is set forth in Section 160 of the Business and professions Code."

Hopi
01-31-2008, 12:10 PM

We have a winner!

DesertGunner
01-31-2008, 3:55 PM
And doctors probably kill more people too... :eek:

They kill far more people (http://www.atla.org/pressroom/facts/health/iomsummary.aspx).

gloxter
01-31-2008, 6:39 PM
Many Fire Marshalls carry. I know of a few.

As far as exemptions for fire personnell outside of the Fire Marshall position, and sometimes, Arson Investigators, I don't know of any.

That being said, sheriffs in the more rural counties are likely more apt to grant a CCW to fire personnel that live in their jurisdiction simply based on the fact that they have undergone EXTENSIVE pre-employment testing; i.e. 1600 question psychological exams, one-on-one interviews with M.D.s following the tests, voice stress analyzer and/or standard lie detector tests, thorough background investigations from law enforcement, extensive character reference checks, credit checks, the list goes on.

Does that entitle me to a CCW? I'd say no. But do you think it would be easier for a CLEO to grant one if I did show "good cause" (whatever the hell that is)? Absolutely!

And yes, we are allowed to carry automatic knives while on duty. I saw the code in PD's book one day when I asked before carrying the knife. (Smart move, huh?) The stupid thing, is that I can't legally bring my CCW onto FD property because of policy...and I can't carry my knife out onto public property off duty, or transport it in my vehicle because it would make me a felon. I don't get it.

This state cracks me up.

pieeater
01-31-2008, 8:58 PM

I have 3 friends that our Doctors, super nice people.That being said some of the most elitist *****s I have met have been doctors. Talk about a god complex.

metalhead357
01-31-2008, 9:49 PM
They kill far more people (http://www.atla.org/pressroom/facts/health/iomsummary.aspx).

and hence my sig line...........

SemiAutoSam
01-31-2008, 10:06 PM
Not to mention that but they push poison as well thanks to Rockefeller and his oil.

Have you ever seen the Drug reps in the doctors offices ? Lossa money in selling pharmaceuticals.

http://www.angelfire.com/az/sthurston/drug_story.html