PDA

View Full Version : Need a TRUSTED EDC Defensive Knife

janus408
10-30-2013, 10:25 AM
I am in need of an EDC Knife that I can trust without question.

I work with gang teens, and slowly the level of kid I have had work with has been escalating. Most recently, one of them in our facility for over 3 months was sentenced to 25-life for murder, an investigation that was ongoing when we got him, and the employees were not told about. So I was working with a killer that was leveling death threats like thank yous, without knowing he was already a murderer.

Even best case, the teen's family or fellow gang members have issue with us because we are trying to rehabilitate them which means removing them from gang-life.

So I already carried a knife when I was out in town, a Kershaw Blur (http://www.bladehq.com/item--Kershaw-Knives-Blur-Knife--140) that I was gifted but recently lost on a backpacking trip. I think it would have been fine, and am considering just getting another one as a replacement, but I figured I would check and see if there was something else that was more recommended.

I am in the market for something I can trust. I want some kind of spring assist, like the Kershaw had, but am looking for any advice you guys have.

Are there any companies or materials to stay away from? Any that I should gravitate towards? My optimal choice would be something like the Benchmade Infidel, but alas we cannot have it here.

It has to be 100% completely legal to carry concealed everywhere in the state. Beyond the obvious reasons, I work with law enforcement a lot and have an unregularly high probability of it being used.

So in my position, what would you opt for?

Manolito
10-30-2013, 10:41 AM
If you work with enforcement they are the ones to ask.

I carry a benchmade griptillian. Cutting someone is a primal matter and pretty messy. Get some training as to where arteries are located where the brain stem is and how to use that knowledge effectively. When you evicerate someone it takes a lot of the fight out of them.

Good luck

castgold
10-30-2013, 11:58 AM
A spring assist with a heavy blade tries to fly out of your hands, especially if they are sweaty hands. I've had an Axis lock Benchmade for about 12 years and it opens and closes with light wrist motion when I open the lock. Just consider blood borne pathogens that may be present if you choose between a knife option versus an aerosol option.

pesty3782
10-30-2013, 11:59 AM
I carry an Emerson CQC-15...The wave feature makes the blade open while pulling it out and is faster then any assist knife I have ever owned.

Tony P.

janus408
10-30-2013, 1:25 PM
if you choose between a knife option versus an aerosol option.

I cannot carry mace/pepper spray at my work. I have asked and it is not 'allowed.'

Spawn
10-30-2013, 1:29 PM
Get the Emerson foldable Karambit. Karambits are deadly for fighting. And take a look at the Spyderco Matriarch with the full Spyder Edge

Blademan21
10-30-2013, 4:17 PM
Get the Emerson foldable Karambit. Karambits are deadly for fighting. And take a look at the Spyderco Matriarch with the full Spyder Edge

I second the Spyderco Matriarch. Ferocious cutter. I have caried mine in my left front pocket for over 10yrs. at least. It is my weapon retention blade and to date has not cut anything. They are less than $100 and are well worth the price. Just remember they are not a utility knife,you shouldn't use it to cut up fruit or open boxes:oji:

till44
10-30-2013, 4:38 PM
Another vote for the karambit, with the caveat you get some decent training with it, be it a class/seminar or even videos. They offer instant deployment one handed, are devastating, and easily retained. Go with an Emerson or Fox as they come "waved"and then practice. You can get a non waved blade as well and with a little ingenuity mod the blade so it works like a waved blade.

Sam Z
10-30-2013, 5:23 PM
Spyderco Civilian Serrated
Spyderco Police Serrated
Emerson w/ wave feature (take your pick)
ZT (take your pick)
Strider (take your pick)

polarbear06
10-30-2013, 6:34 PM
Any of James Williams designed folders @CRKT. They cut well, but stabbing is where it makes its money. The locking mechanisms on all of them are also extremely strong.

http://www.crkt.com/jameswilliams

Stay away from "American tanto" point blades, they don't penetrate or cut very well - they just look cool. I'd also stay away from any serrations, they tend to catch on loose clothing; which rules out the spyderco matriarch. And in regards to the karambit, yes great cutter but just realize you are limiting yourself to a cutting weapon.

Blademan21
10-30-2013, 9:28 PM
[QUOTE=polarbear06;12658912]http://www.crkt.com/jameswilliams
I'd also stay away from any serrations, they tend to catch on loose clothing; which rules out the spyderco matriarch. QUOTE]

:rofl2: you are so funny!

Mister BLASTEE
10-30-2013, 9:52 PM
Cold Steel Talwar with full serrations. ;)

polarbear06
10-30-2013, 9:59 PM
[QUOTE=polarbear06;12658912]http://www.crkt.com/jameswilliams
I'd also stay away from any serrations, they tend to catch on loose clothing; which rules out the spyderco matriarch. QUOTE]

:rofl2: you are so funny!

Well buddy, if you know of any hawkbill knife kills, feel free to share. 238 years of fighting and guess what Marines are taught today? It aint ninja slashing crap, bro.

Tripper
10-30-2013, 10:37 PM
I cannot carry mace/pepper spray at my work. I have asked and it is not 'allowed.'

But a defensive knife is OK

I carry benchmade bone collector model
T2 blade and axis lock

Tripper
10-30-2013, 10:44 PM
Due to a couple posts above, I just looked at the matriarch series, I'll have to consider one of those, I think I might get one for my wife, she may like that better than her crkt

Tripper
10-30-2013, 10:47 PM
I second the Spyderco Matriarch. Ferocious cutter. I have caried mine in my left front pocket for over 10yrs. at least. It is my weapon retention blade and to date has not cut anything. They are less than $100 and are well worth the price. Just remember they are not a utility knife,you shouldn't use it to cut up fruit or open boxes:oji:

Oh dang
I'm always cutting fruit and opening boxes with mine, and cutting fruit and boxes is what my wife uses her folder for quite often as well

castgold
10-30-2013, 11:41 PM

Understood. Would a flashlight be worth carrying with a folding blade in your circumstances? It can have multiple functions, including ranged deterrence. I carry a SureFire Fury with the Benchmade.

North Bay Guy
10-30-2013, 11:48 PM
I carry a Benchmade Griptilian 551 http://www.benchmade.com/products/551

janus408
10-31-2013, 1:00 AM
Any fixed blade such as the ka bar tdi 2"-3" blade comes with an awesome sheath with belt clip.

I have to have a folder so I can conceal. I cannot walk into work with a large fixed blade on my belt.

I am looking up all of these suggestions, thanks for the help guys. So many damn options I am going to have a hard time deciding, but you are definitely helping narrow the field.

Ninask
10-31-2013, 1:11 AM
Cold Steel Espada
one of 3 sizes
N

Oliver_Charles
10-31-2013, 1:15 AM

JWHuey
10-31-2013, 6:07 AM
I think you had a great edc knife already. Get another one.
Kershaw Blur s30v.

Mr. Magoo
10-31-2013, 6:14 AM
Sounds like you have Good Cause IMO...

Blademan21
10-31-2013, 7:55 AM
[QUOTE=Blademan21;12660540]

Well buddy, if you know of any hawkbill knife kills, feel free to share. 238 years of fighting and guess what Marines are taught today? It aint ninja slashing crap, bro.

You got it wrong..I'm not your Buddy nor am I your Bro ;) You missed the point Bear,serrations can and will cut to the bone. Its not a stabber per say but a ripper. My comment was about the reason I carry my Spyderco in my left front pocket. Its to insure I don't have my handgun snached from my holster. We will have to agree to disagree.

Tripper
10-31-2013, 8:21 AM
I'm just curious if you can carry a knife in your situation
I would guess an environment that does not allow spray would be hard pressed to allow a knife
Ask if you can get tazer trained

janus408
10-31-2013, 8:57 AM
No Thomas A Swift Electric Rifle for me.

The knife is not 'allowed' but it is not prohibited explicitly. We have a kitchen and a large locked cabinet that has various non-butter knives, since it is a 24hr facility, which I have access to. So there are knives on the site, and because of that there is no stipulation in our licensing regarding knives.

There are stipulations for firearms, Tasers, mace/pepper spray and 'blunt weapons.'

frankm
10-31-2013, 9:11 AM
Here's a test someone told me about. Try different knives. Manipulate it open with one hand with your eyes closed. Pick which one fits you best. I picked the Mini-Griptillian.

ExtremeX
10-31-2013, 10:23 AM

This... Just make sure you know how to use it.

vi7TPa1eQ8w

cal3gunner
10-31-2013, 3:31 PM
I recommend the Benchmade 710. This knife is awesome. It's easy to
conceal, super strong, easy to open and close with one hand and looks great.
I have had one for ten years and it works just a good as when I bought it. I have two friends with them and they are pretty hard on them.

Benchmade has the best customer service and warranty. You can send it back and they will sharpen it, replace the springs and make sure it's good as new all for the cost of shipping.

874q2iFsvb8

Meety Peety
10-31-2013, 4:31 PM
Personally, I think without any specific training or experience, you'll be better off selecting your EDC knife based on what feels the best in your hand rather than trying to select a specific style of blade based upon it's "intended use" (For example a "combat knife"). The Karambit looks like a devastating weapon, however I am extremely confident with my EDC spear point, and I am also confident in saying that I would be clueless to the proper use of a Karambit without training. While one knife may prove to be superior to one user, it could be a liability to another. Stick with what you are most comfortable using and if used properly, it will get the job done.

As far as quality goes, I personally rely on two different knives. A ZT301 and a CRKT MK16 (The smaller one). The CRKT is my go to knife, and I carry it almost exclusively. Quality is decent and edge retention is not great, but it's very easy to sharpen. I can shave with it after less than 5 minutes on a sharpmaker.. so I don't mind tuning it up once or twice a month. If I lose it or a co-worker borrows it (This happens a lot) and does something stupid with it.. I can buy another one for $20 at Big 5. I do have to adjust the main stud often, it works itself lose while in my pocket. This is not a problem as it is intended to be adjusted with your thumb - however in a self defense situation this is obviously not acceptable.

The ZT is a fantastic quality knife, and mine is still in "like new" condition. This is because I rarely ever carry it because I can't bring myself to use it. I am not the guy who carries a knife that never gets used, I use my knife several times every single day - no joke. A lot of this has to do with my job and my hobbies, and if I wasn't someone that used a knife so damn often, I would carry the ZT hands down. I'm just frugal and can't bring myself to use an expensive knife as a tool. If you are looking for an occasional use / defense carry.. ZT is probably right up your alley.

Tripper
10-31-2013, 5:02 PM
No Thomas A Swift Electric Rifle for me.

The knife is not 'allowed' but it is not prohibited explicitly. We have a kitchen and a large locked cabinet that has various non-butter knives, since it is a 24hr facility, which I have access to. So there are knives on the site, and because of that there is no stipulation in our licensing regarding knives.

There are stipulations for firearms, Tasers, mace/pepper spray and 'blunt weapons.'

You sure it's not 'no weapons'
I'm just concerned you might jeopardize the safety of the facility, thus getting yourself in serious trouble

till44
10-31-2013, 9:25 PM
I still say a karambit with training is one of the best options for a defensive knife. Understand the idea behind the karambit is not to kill your attacker via stabbing. History and experience will show even attackers with lethal wounds via stabbing can still fight on for several minutes. The karambit is designed to mechanically defeat the threat, cut the muscles and tendons attacking you and they'll no longer be a threat.

I'd double check your company's knife policy to be on the safe side. In the mean time look at a quality flashlight like the Surefire Fury or possibly a "tactical" pen. Both make great improvised kubotans/impact weapons.

janus408
10-31-2013, 10:11 PM
The largest threat I have is bumping into former 'clients' out in the public.

This is where I spend the most time, so even work were to see me with the knife and tell me not to bring it in the facility, the EDC would still get carried, everyday, and left in my car when I go into work.

I don't want to go on debating my workplace policy, it's not pertinent to the question of which knife I should carry.

I am finding the Karambits alluring, but I am also heavily considering the S30V Blur and some of the ZTs. The MK16 also seems promising.

desertexplore
10-31-2013, 10:19 PM
FWIW- I am not an knife expert, but like 5-11 knifes. But my EDC does not have power assist when opening. Hope this helps.

Tripper
11-01-2013, 7:53 AM
The largest threat I have is bumping into former 'clients' out in the public.

This is where I spend the most time, so even work were to see me with the knife and tell me not to bring it in the facility, the EDC would still get carried, everyday, and left in my car when I go into work.

I don't want to go on debating my workplace policy, it's not pertinent to the question of which knife I should carry.

I am finding the Karambits alluring, but I am also heavily considering the S30V Blur and some of the ZTs. The MK16 also seems promising.

It IS pertinent to which knife you should carry because, you want a knife 'implied' to be for defensive use at work, if you are not suppose to carry a knife the correct knife to carry is none at all

If you work in a adult or juvenile detention facility, it is likely not allowed, and doing so puts others at risk.

You are much better off debating the policies with us here as opposed to after you get caught with a knife you shouldn't have in a workplace that it is dangerous to do so, you could lose your job for serious violation which puts lives at risk which could result in immediate termination which unions cant even fight very effectively, or could even go to jail for it at some facilities.

You should really check your policy first.

krisjon
11-01-2013, 11:16 PM
ZT 350
Bombproof quality
Fast, speed assist opening
Solid grip G10 scales
Holds a really good edge
Has a thickness and tip that could pierce an oil drum
Around $100 these days

Mjollnir
11-02-2013, 12:23 PM
A bunch of great responses here! Honestly knowing how to use it is tops. That being said I'm currently really enjoying the Kershaw rake with composite blade of D2 steel edge. Nice and solid with good heft and grippy scales. A real puncher or slasher! Flipper for quick positive deployment, and a nice finger groove/"hilt" that will protect your hand if need arises to perforate someone.

rkt88edmo
11-02-2013, 12:28 PM
Keep it simple and don't break the bank.

I'd choose a spyderco waved delica.

But the griptilian is a good choice as well and I am sure any other number of knives from Spyderco, BM, Kershaw would suit.

But the waved delica is a great choice IMO, I'd prefer the wave to a spring assist.

What county are you in?

Mjollnir
11-02-2013, 1:22 PM
Amazon has the kershaw rake for like 70.00 !

WHITE MAMBA
11-02-2013, 3:57 PM
Keep it simple and don't break the bank.

I'd choose a spyderco waved delica.

But the griptilian is a good choice as well and I am sure any other number of knives from Spyderco, BM, Kershaw would suit.

But the waved delica is a great choice IMO, I'd prefer the wave to a spring assist.

What county are you in?

+1 on the delica. The thin blade profile and shape are alot better than thicker tactical style knives at slipping through flesh

skilletboy
11-02-2013, 8:32 PM
I'm no knife expert but I carry a SOG trident. I like the size and weight of it. It's my EDC.

dcmartin
11-05-2013, 11:06 AM
Janus408:
Wow, there are couple of well educated responses and some I would really have to weigh out Lol..

Ok, these are merely suggestions but before you seriously consider a blade to save you from imminent doom please Please PLEASE get some training! Or go ahead and get your blade but hopefully you'll make an effort to get some training :oji:

Weapons retention is a HUGE part of any training regimen, If you can't hold on to your primary defensive weapon.... you are (possibly) done. If your opponent gets a hold of your primary defensive weapon, you are very done...game over.

I would suggest you stay away from Karambits unless you get the proper training... The Karambit is usually held in reverse grip which puts you much closer to your assailant. Not a problem if your assailant doesn't have a sharp implement but if he does per chance, you would want to distance yourself.

Hold a big kitchen knife in reverse grip (like you would an ice pick) and motion downward with it. Your angle of entry will be from top to bottom which by default puts you closer to your assailant. If you hold the same knife in regular (non ice pick) fashion and you poke.... you create a bit of distance. Ice pick grip wouldn't matter so much but if your assailant is armed (with a shiv perhaps) you don't want to be closer to him than have to be. Think of a boxer with a 25" reach vs a boxer with a 20" reach.

Perps, wether kids or not are survivalists... They notice their surroundings with an astonishing level of detail. If you had a pocket clip showing, they would know to come prepared. Do you think you are the only one who notices what's going on around you? They are (can be) prepping as much as you are. Don't give them any reason to prep.

You would most likely have to carry IWB (inside waist band) you need a thin profile knife like a Kershaw leek or Skyline or something thin along those lines.

I would opt for an assisted opener but it's your call. I do love my waved blades Emerson, Spyderco, HEST but again, in your situation I would be concerned about the pocket clip showing.

Practice practice practice.... You have to be able to deploy quickly and consistently. Please don't think that just because you have a blade on your person you are any safer. It's a tool at your disposal, that's all..... how and how efficiently you choose to use it is up to you.

Please remember that if you use your blade in self defense and someone gets hurt or worse, you will be the center of an ongoing crime investigation. You have every right to defend yourself but unfortunately there can also be consequences.

Think about something improvised like a Zebra F-701 pen. Hey it's a pen man, he just happened to walk sideways into it... It's cheap, Stainless Steel and can probably poke thru a 1" piece of lumber :D.
A mace pen is also a good option, like this one http://www.cheaperthandirt.net/product/58340?utm_source=GoogleShopping&utm_medium=organic&gclid=CM-vr7CmzroCFeo9QgodvmsAtQ#

Sorry for the lengthy response, best of luck whichever route you decide to take.

ElvenSoul
11-05-2013, 11:08 AM
Case Russlock

blazeaglory
11-07-2013, 8:15 PM
You sure it's not 'no weapons'
I'm just concerned you might jeopardize the safety of the facility, thus getting yourself in serious trouble

I was thinking the same thing...

There is a reason why prison guards dont carry weapons on their person when on the "inside"...

Not to be rude, but If your worried about one of the kids killing you, maybe you should find another line of work? I mean, that is in the job description correct?

Either way, I like the Kershaw you had originally and then lost. I would go with that knife.

slider76
11-08-2013, 7:51 PM
OP, take this for what it's worth, but if your primary threat is people outside of your facility, if you harbor the thought that a knife is all you need, you're living in a fantasy land. If you were trying to break up my family by pulling my cousin away from my gang, I might try to beat you up to teach you a lesson, or I might be a total sociopath and shoot you when I found you. The major problem is that you won't know what my decision is until after the fact. What are you willing to do? What are you prepared to do? It seems like your awareness may be at an elevated level, but it seems like the other pieces are missing. Get some training. Whatever you end up deciding to carry, as long as the pokey side inserts in the bg, you're good to go. Finally, consider the likelihood that the most likely scenario you would be facing would be multiple targets closing on you from at least two directions.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)