PDA

View Full Version : Anyone own a Gerber LMF II

Ronin2
10-30-2013, 8:53 AM
Does anyone have any experience with this knife? What are your impressions and opinions?

Thanks

Full Clip
10-30-2013, 9:14 AM
I have two of them, which I got deeply discounted.
The blade is a perfect compromise in terms of dimensions and smooth/serration edge, the grip is comfortable in my hand and I like the steel butt, which has a menacing quality and actually balances the whole thing pretty nicely. I've used it to field dress deer and it was more than up to the job.
The sheath is useful, but a little cumbersome and over-complicated. I wish there was a more simple/basic alternative. Maybe I could make one from Kydex or something.
In all, a nice commercial product at a reasonable price. And you won't ever worry about ruining it from heavy use like you would some $200 blade.

till44
10-30-2013, 4:41 PM
I've beat the piss out of mine and you can barely tell. Does everything a camp knife needs to do, but don't expect a do everything knife. The blade is thick and beefy, great chopper, lousy slicer.

Rampage.Maupin
10-30-2013, 9:06 PM
I've beat the piss out of mine and you can barely tell. Does everything a camp knife needs to do, but don't expect a do everything knife. The blade is thick and beefy, great chopper, lousy slicer.

What he said... Big heavy. Not very well balanced in my opinion, very pommel heavy with the glass breaker. But, everything you would want in a chopper.

Rampage.Maupin
10-30-2013, 9:08 PM

Not bad for destroying carving pumpkins:D

Ronin2
10-30-2013, 9:18 PM
What he said... Big heavy. Not very well balanced in my opinion, very pommel heavy with the glass breaker. But, everything you would want in a chopper.

Does the glass breaker actually work? I am assuming it does and like that fearure as well as the electical insulation aspects of the design. I am looking for a survival/combat type of knife of this aprox size and shape that will be almost indestructible and hold its edge thru a lot of abuse.

As said above, I don't want to spend more than +/- $100 for the knife as I want to be able to abuse it with a clear conscience.

Rampage.Maupin
10-30-2013, 10:10 PM
For the requirements that you are listing, I would think this will work for you. You can baton wood, it has lashing holes etc. the glass breaker is HEAVY so I am assuming it would work, probably work well as a skull crusher the thing is so robust. I do really like the grip on it. It has a lot of traction, so even when your hands get sweaty, you will still have a good grip. I have heard that it is not a full tang, so keep that in mind as far as your indestructible requirement goes. All this being said, I feel very confident with it on my hip when I am in the woods.

Ronin2
10-30-2013, 10:25 PM
For the requirements that you are listing, I would think this will work for you. You can baton wood, it has lashing holes etc. the glass breaker is HEAVY so I am assuming it would work, probably work well as a skull crusher the thing is so robust. I do really like the grip on it. It has a lot of traction, so even when your hands get sweaty, you will still have a good grip. I have heard that it is not a full tang, so keep that in mind as far as your indestructible requirement goes. All this being said, I feel very confident with it on my hip when I am in the woods.

I am coming to that conclusion as well. I am not looking for "knife Valhalla" but just a good solid knife if things around me go to **** and can fuction competently as a tool as well as a weapon.

The LMF is not a full tang for electrical insulation reasons...

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k72/newportkrieger/LMF1.jpg (http://s85.photobucket.com/user/newportkrieger/media/LMF1.jpg.html)

Brujo
11-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Mine is starting to rattle a little. Where the blade and handle come together is made of plastic. Gerber has said they will replace it, but I have not sent it back yet. This started with very little use other than as a camp knife. No hard use or battening. I'm a little bummed to have a tactical knife rattle. Thinking when I replace it I might buy a Becker Companion, almost the same knife with out the gimmicks, full tang for less money.

I started a tread here about it. I did buy a Esee 5, returned it and got a Esee 4 as my general camp knife. Could not be happier. I think the process was good for me. I now realize I prefer a flat grind for a general use knife. Will even probably get an Esee 6 with the molle pouch as a SHTF tool. I still think a saber grind sharpened pry bar is a useful tool to have around which is why I want the Becker to throw in my truck, I have trouble trusting the LMF II now that mine is starting to fail with such light use.

Rampage.Maupin
11-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Mine is starting to rattle a little. Where the blade and handle come together is made of plastic. Gerber has said they will replace it, but I have not sent it back yet. This started with very little use other than as a camp knife. No hard use or battening. I'm a little bummed to have a tactical knife rattle. Thinking when I replace it I might buy a Becker Companion, almost the same knife with out the gimmicks, full tang for less money.

I started a tread here about it. I did buy a Esee 5, returned it and got a Esee 4 as my general camp knife. Could not be happier. I think the process was good for me. I now realize I prefer a flat grind for a general use knife. Will even probably get an Esee 6 with the molle pouch as a SHTF tool. I still think a saber grind sharpened pry bar is a useful tool to have around which is why I want the Becker to throw in my truck, I have trouble trusting the LMF II now that mine is starting to fail with such light use.

Hmm... That sucks. I might be lucky but mine is still real tight and solid. I have had little use as well. So of course now reading this I will have that in the back of my mind.

Hunter47
11-05-2013, 12:40 PM
My story is anecdotal but let me tell it. When two of my sons served in Iraq I bought them each a Gerber LMG II. Have a friend work at Gerber helped a lot also. One of my sons was the rear convoy machine gunner and his position required him to stand up through the Humvee and man the weapon. What is great about the design is that the sheath is designed with to be attached to Molly very easily. He had it upside down on his left breast plate for easy access (the friction fit clamp design always kept the knife in the holster until needed). If you have looked carefully at any pictures of Iraq you notice the numerous wires coming off the telephone and power poles to all the residents. Standard procedure is for the lead guys to voice to the rear facing gunner that a low wire was coming and to take avoidance action. One time they missed it and the wire came up under his helmet and started to wrap around his neck while the Humvee kept on driving. In an instant he pulled out his knife and sliced through the wire before any damage could occur. I'm damn glad I bought him that knife. Enough said.

Rampage.Maupin
11-05-2013, 4:42 PM
My story is anecdotal but let me tell it. When two of my sons served in Iraq I bought them each a Gerber LMG II. Have a friend work at Gerber helped a lot also. One of my sons was the rear convoy machine gunner and his position required him to stand up through the Humvee and man the weapon. What is great about the design is that the sheath is designed with to be attached to Molly very easily. He had it upside down on his left breast plate for easy access (the friction fit clamp design always kept the knife in the holster until needed). If you have looked carefully at any pictures of Iraq you notice the numerous wires coming off the telephone and power poles to all the residents. Standard procedure is for the lead guys to voice to the rear facing gunner that a low wire was coming and to take avoidance action. One time they missed it and the wire came up under his helmet and started to wrap around his neck while the Humvee kept on driving. In an instant he pulled out his knife and sliced through the wire before any damage could occur. I'm damn glad I bought him that knife. Enough said.

What a great story. I am happy that the knife worked out for your boys. I'm not throwing shade on the design at all. If you need a big robust knife, something closer to a chopper, then this would fit the bill well. And you would probably get a long service life from it.