PDA

View Full Version : SoCal Milpitas/BWO Party Poll

Kestryll
01-26-2008, 5:04 PM
Okay, the party last Thurs. was fantastic!
Now we need to do it again for those down South who didn't make it up to the Bay area. And a few from up North who want to come as well!

So hit the poll and then let us know if there is a restaurant or hotel with a hall and food service that you can think of that would fit our needs.

You can vote for multiple options in the poll, like 'yes/no' AND your preferred price range.

I'm looking in to a few here in the L.A. area to see what is available.

otalps
01-26-2008, 5:18 PM
This place is on the West Side and does have a back room that they use at times for parties and such. The food is pretty good and they have a full bar. Might work...

http://www.billingsleysrestaurant.com/

Matt C
01-26-2008, 6:29 PM
I'm in!

Hopi
01-26-2008, 6:32 PM
I'm in!

I'm in!

tankerman
01-26-2008, 6:32 PM
Where are the majority of the Socal members located? Ventura,LA,OC,SD,SB,Riverside?

SemiAutoSam
01-26-2008, 6:39 PM
Kest
The Prime Rib at that site you linked to looks real good.

Very tempting.

Ill be watching this thread and see how far off this meet may be and maybe we could set up a live web cam for those that wont be able to make the meet.

CALI-gula
01-26-2008, 6:40 PM
This place is on the West Side and does have a back room that they use at times for parties and such. The food is pretty good and they have a full bar. Might work...

http://www.billingsleysrestaurant.com/

Well, this place is not a restaurant - but it is just up the street from the place you mentioned (Billingsleys) and could be an after dinner hang-out. I wanted to mention it as it seemed rather fitting - for any Calguns occasion.

http://www.arsenalbar.com/

VeryCoolCat
01-26-2008, 6:43 PM
It'd be nice to meet some calgunners. The only people who've I've met weren't regulars here just occasional visitors.

otalps
01-26-2008, 6:54 PM
Well, this place is not a restaurant - but it is just up the street from the place you mentioned (Billingsleys) and could be an after dinner hang-out. I wanted to mention it as it seemed rather fitting - for any Calguns occasion.

http://www.arsenalbar.com/

Yeah, The Arsenal rocks. They did use to serve a killer steak. Not sure if they still do haven't been there in a few years.

gn3hz3ku1*
01-26-2008, 7:24 PM
masonic temples have cheap rent.... we can get a hall together?

USN CHIEF
01-26-2008, 7:37 PM
I am definately in... I suggest we do it in "Adelitas" in TJ and we can eat the bacon wrapped hot dogs:43: No but seriuosly, LA or Hollywood would be fine with me...

capo
01-26-2008, 7:49 PM
in.

double_action
01-26-2008, 8:22 PM
I'm in.

ivanimal
01-26-2008, 9:01 PM
Are you kidding me! I have 7 seat belts in my car and they will all be used. Lets go south!:jump:

redneckshootist
01-26-2008, 9:12 PM
Im in I got family in anahiam so I can get free room and board:D

jdberger
01-26-2008, 9:33 PM
I was talking with Gene the other nite, and this is really easy to do - the only issue is that people have to commit to coming.

Most of us were pretty suprised to see how many people showed up to the NorCal event. Us NorCal folks are dependably flaky.

If folks were interested, this could be done in a hotel ballroom, 10-top tables and everything with a rubber-chicken dinner (maybe something more exciting)...but there would have to be a firm committment of at least 50 people at about $50 each.

If interested, I can do some further research.

USN CHIEF
01-26-2008, 9:39 PM
I am in with what ever the cost is... And I like your idea JDberger

bwiese
01-26-2008, 10:05 PM
LA area suggestions (I have not been to either of the 1st two, but legendary status propagates northwards):

Lawry's Prime Rib, Beverly Hills...

http://www.lawrysonline.com/theprimerib_beverlyhills_gen_info.asp

Fogo de Chao, home of the "meatsicle":
http://www.fogodechao.com/locations/beverlyHillsCA.htm

Or, Fleming's steakhouses in Woodland Hills, El Segundo or Newport Beach (there's one out in Rancho Cucamonga too...) At least some locations offer 'private dining' with rooms of 30-60 seats but I expect with Calgunner ingenuity we can pack more in a room. Expect, without wine, a prix fixe dinner of salad + meat/side + dessert to run at least $60-$70/head.

http://www.flemingssteakhouse.com/locator.asp

I can testify that the one in Palo Alto is scrumptious.

Kestryll
01-26-2008, 10:57 PM
Nice choices Bill, I looked at Flemings earlier in the day.
Lawry's looks nice but a bit pricey.
To be frank I'm a tad concerned that if things get too far above the 40-45 per person mark we might start pricing some people out of the event. That is why I set a price range question in the poll. I know several calgunners down this way are students at the many various colleges around.

Two places I saw that piqued my interest since they are also hotels were these ones:
Airtel Plaza
http://www.airtelplaza.com/default.asp
Not too bad but a bit away from Burbank airport.

Sportsman's Lodge
http://www.slhotel.com/
Good pricing on the 'Build it yourself ' buffet, close to the airport and in a decent area, Studio City. This one looks cool just for the name. ;)
Here are the buffet menus: http://www.slhotel.com/menu_dinner.pdf
Scroll down to the Studio City Buffet
My choices would be these:
Salads: Mixed Garden Green Salad, Classic Caesar Salad, Marinated Artichoke Salad, Tri-Color Rotelli Shrimp Salad and Chinese Chicken Salad.

Entree: Roasted Tri-Tip With a Cabernet Demi-Glace, Garlic and Herb Grilled Pork Loin and Grilled Soy Ginger Salmon.

Accompaniments: Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Wild and Long Grain Rice and Seasonal Fresh Vegetables.

Desserts: Assorted Pastry Display and Fruit Salad. (Dessert is kind of weak but we could probably get them to switch out for something like Triamisu and Cannolis.)

This Buffet come in around 25-30 per person.

bigkahuna04
01-26-2008, 11:44 PM
Sportsman's Lodge....

I've attended several conferences there in the past few years - good food...good parking and the facilities can accomodate a fairly good size group.

If I get enough notice...I know I can arrange my work schedule ...so count me in.

krby
01-27-2008, 6:10 AM
Sportsman's Lodge....

...good parking.

I used to live in "the Valley" sort of near Sportsman's lodge. The "good parking" shouldn't be dismissed. 30 cars showing up to a place in L.A is a tough problem. The places in San Fernando Valley will likely have better/more parking on average.

I would be in for this trip, hopefully it's a few weeks down the road as now is a bit packed.

SemiAutoSam
01-27-2008, 8:19 AM
Isn't there still an Airport in the City of Burbank still?

Well I wont be able to fly into that Airport but many others could.

I am in, of course.

Kest, that steak joint in Rancho Koo Koo Munga would be a great choice.

IMHO it would be best to hold this event somewhere outside the City limits of Los Angeles.

It would certainly spare the Northern boys from the headache of flying into LAX. They could fly into the Ontario Airport and get a great room without a million people crowding them at all times.

Just a thought.

Anywho...I'm in wherever it happens.

Kestryll
01-27-2008, 8:46 AM
Sportsman's Lodge is 15 minutes from Burbank Airport, that's where matt and i flew out of to go up north last week.

tankerman
01-27-2008, 9:14 AM
Long Beach also has a very easy to use airport. OC/John Wayne is nice but expensive to fly into.

A weekend mabe be easiest, Socal members are so spread out and week day traffic is just so brutal.

Some place off the 210 maybe near Pasadena might be good. Gives easy access for folks from Riverside/San Berdo (since the 210 now goes all the way through), LA County and OC. Plenty of other freeway choices

Richie Rich
01-27-2008, 9:41 AM
I would be in provided it was on a weekend and not in Los Angeles proper.

O.C, Long Beach, San Bern, Riverside, San Diego are all cool by me.... Anywhere but LA. Just hate going anywhere near that place.

(no offense intended to any Calguns members who live in LA)

Should we send Iggy and Allison formal invitations?

brassburnz
01-27-2008, 9:53 AM
Long Beach also has a very easy to use airport. OC/John Wayne is nice but expensive to fly into.

A weekend mabe be easiest, Socal members are so spread out and week day traffic is just so brutal.

Some place off the 210 maybe near Pasadena might be good. Gives easy access for folks from Riverside/San Berdo (since the 210 now goes all the way through), LA County and OC. Plenty of other freeway choices

+1 on the weekend. I've had dealings with several Calgunners, and they were from Ventura, Riverside, San Bernadino, San Diego, Orange County, and all over Los Angeles county. Assuming you want to start dinner at 7:00, there's no way people counld get to a central location during rush hour traffic during the week.

Stormfeather
01-27-2008, 10:51 AM
I'm in!

uh. . . I would hope so!

VeryCoolCat
01-27-2008, 11:35 AM
Fogo de Chao, home of the "meatsicle":
http://www.fogodechao.com/locations/beverlyHillsCA.htm

Oh my god that place is heaven, all the damn meat you can eat... the INCREDIBLE cheese filled bread (ya doesn't sound that great but DAMN), fillet mignon, rack of lamb, all kinds of damn expensive meat... all on a buffet.

Place costs $65 bucks though :(

phobos512
01-27-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm in...Primary concern for me is going to be work schedule, because if I'm out of town then obviously it's no good.

As long as I have advanced notice I think I'll probably get me a free room at a nearby Holiday Inn so that the fiancee and step son can come and we'll be good to go.

:D

DSA_FAL
01-27-2008, 12:06 PM
I'd suggest somewhere in the Anaheim area since it's in the center of SoCal. It would be pretty easy to get to for people in SD and in the IE areas. I'm sure the restaurants in west LA are nice but they are a long drive for the people in San Diego.

I also think that Anaheim probably has lots of facilities that could host an event like this because they see conventions all the time.

Technical Ted
01-27-2008, 4:43 PM
I also think that Anaheim probably has lots of facilities that could host an event like this because they see conventions all the time.
"Matt, What are you going to do now that you're exonerated?"

"I'm going to Disneyland!"

Black Majik
01-27-2008, 5:21 PM
I'm in

hoffmang
01-27-2008, 6:27 PM
Something near Burbank, Long Beach, or Orange County airport please. I know the TMLLP guys are closer to Long Beach/OC.

Our venue was pretty good but a little cramped so a bit more room to mingle would be key - and maybe a place to say a couple of words from too.

-Gene

tankerman
01-27-2008, 6:40 PM
Something near Burbank, Long Beach, or Orange County airport please. I know the TMLLP guys are closer to Long Beach/OC.

Our venue was pretty good but a little cramped so a bit more room to mingle would be key - and maybe a place to say a couple of words from too.

-Gene
Well the NRA members council meets (not sure if they still do) at http://www.jtschmids.com/ in Anaheim. I believe the owner was sympatethic to the cause. They do have banquet rooms.

Maybe the NRA Members Coucil could help arrange the faciltiy?

jmlivingston
01-27-2008, 6:55 PM
I would think central OC should be able to accomodate most of the LA group, the San Diego guys can shoot up the I-5 and the Inland Empire crowd can come on over via the 91.

Assuming date/time/location work for me, I'm in!

John

high_revs
01-27-2008, 10:43 PM
i voted, but there's a soCal Milpitas?

I voted thinking so bay Milpitas. LOL

GTKrockeTT
01-27-2008, 11:21 PM
tagging for the date/time/venue...

blackberg
01-28-2008, 12:05 AM
i voted, but there's a soCal Milpitas?

I voted thinking so bay Milpitas. LOL

umm... the South Bay is in SoCal:D

Im In,

Long Beach/OC is probably better for most, stay away from north of the 105 and traffic is decent

Spiggy
01-28-2008, 12:18 AM
I'm about mid OC? dunno. My travelability is severely limited by my inability to navigate. :P

artherd
01-28-2008, 12:33 AM
Looks like a pretty good choice.

Considering his last post, it would certainly be good for Gene (and probably Bill and Ben) if he (they) intends to fly into John Wayne International Airport.

I'll gas it up!
http://cdglobal.net/gun/CALGUNS-PLANE.jpg

Hopi
01-28-2008, 10:13 AM
Ben, please stop making me covet and lust after your possessions! ;)

But, if you want to, you can land it in my backyard!

Wait a minute....isn't that the secret east-coast rendezvous spot for the Church of Scientology? Who are you really?:TFH::D

pnkssbtz
01-28-2008, 11:43 AM
I'm all for Anaheim (A tad biased).

But there are some good places in Burbank and I know of one I like in LB (555 on Oceanside).

artherd
01-28-2008, 4:29 PM
Check the upper left, the calguns.net g5 is already there, I'M IN YOUR HOUSE, GOIN THRU UR STUFF!

;)

Ben, please stop making me covet and lust after your possessions! ;)

But, if you want to, you can land it in my backyard!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c142/solascriptura1984/travoltapilotREX_468x502.jpg

Matt C
01-28-2008, 4:32 PM
Long Beach would be really good, I'm sure some TMLLP folks will stop by if it's close.

USN CHIEF
01-28-2008, 5:35 PM
If we hold in at Long Beach, I'll take one of the aircraft carriers...:eek: and then we can :party:!

RRangel
01-28-2008, 5:55 PM
That's good.

http://www.consolefan.com/spit.gif

I'll gas it up!
http://cdglobal.net/gun/CALGUNS-PLANE.jpg

drawn
01-28-2008, 8:12 PM
There is always one of the many Gun Club Houses. Inlands even has a working kitchen and may be an easier drive for the San Diego area.
http://www.inlandfishandgame.com/pro_shop_at_inland.htm

artherd
01-28-2008, 10:03 PM
Guys, this couldn't be LESS 'off-topic' how about a move to 2a or "current legal cases" subforum?

Addax
01-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Well, count me in. What are the dates that are being looked at?

I want to make sure I am in town...

I am cool with which ever location you guys pick out.

redneckshootist
01-29-2008, 9:42 AM
I think we need to start talking dates. I need to plan at least a month in advance since Im in norcal and will have to request time off work. Time off is pretty easy to get since Im in managment, but I still need to let the owner know.

383green
01-29-2008, 3:19 PM
I live in Riverside and work in Irvine. It can be hard for me to get into the LA area on a weekday, so I'd prefer a weekend. I sure hope I'll be able to make it to this, because I'd like to meet any of the NorCal Calgunners who can make it! I went to the earlier little Matt party at the BBQ place in Pasadena (?), and that was my first chance to meet any other Calgunners.

DedEye
01-29-2008, 3:29 PM
I'm definitely in, just need to know when and where.

tiki
02-05-2008, 9:29 AM
I would definitely try to make it. I would need a weekend since I will have to fly down there.

USN CHIEF
02-05-2008, 4:07 PM
Did we ever decide when and where this was going to take place?

Liberty1
02-05-2008, 5:28 PM
I think we should reserve a space at East LA College and bring in a caterer!:D

Matt C
02-05-2008, 5:47 PM

LOL, that would be pretty funny.

Kestryll
02-06-2008, 11:59 AM
Okay, it looks like there is some interest... :D

Sorry about dropping the ball on this, I was out of action with the flu for the last week.

We have three airports that can work for our Northern friends, Burbank, Long Beach and Orange County.

Orange County (John Wayne) Airport has JT Schmid’s about 15 miles away, roughly 25-45 minutes depending on traffic. It looks very nice and has hosted NRA events before. Price range looks to be a bit in the upper range, think $60+ per person based on menu.

Long Beach Airport is fairly central, I'm not familiar with the Long Beach area and haven't seen too much in the 'suggested restaurant' dept. so I'm not sure what's around there. Any LB locals have suggestions and info?

Burbank (Bob Hope) Airport has Sportsman's Lodge about 8 miles away, roughly 15- 25 minutes depending on traffic. It also looks nice and hosts parties and events and has a hotel right on site. Price range is moderate, think $25-$45 per person.

Remember we will potentially have people coming in from as far away as San Diego and Santa Barbara and further north.

Hopefully we'll get some input from the Long Beach Calgunners so we can have a full set of options to choose from.

Matt C
02-06-2008, 4:34 PM
Right by TMLLP is the Rockbottom Brewery (http://www.rockbottom.com/RockBottomWeb/RBR/index.aspx?PageName=/RockBottomWeb/Controls/Party/DisplayPartyItem.ascx&SectionName=Root.LocationFinder.LocationResults.Lo cationDetails.Parties&SiteID=10000) Seating for 60 for dinner (reserved party/group), great beer, and good food. Cost should be under $30 for dinner and 3 beers, Lunch and 1 beer is usually under $15.

Okay, it looks like there is some interest... :D

Sorry about dropping the ball on this, I was out of action with the flu for the last week.

We have three airports that can work for our Northern friends, Burbank, Long Beach and Orange County.

Orange County (John Wayne) Airport has JT Schmid’s about 15 miles away, roughly 25-45 minutes depending on traffic. It looks very nice and has hosted NRA events before. Price range looks to be a bit in the upper range, think $60+ per person based on menu.

Long Beach Airport is fairly central, I'm not familiar with the Long Beach area and haven't seen too much in the 'suggested restaurant' dept. so I'm not sure what's around there. Any LB locals have suggestions and info?

Burbank (Bob Hope) Airport has Sportsman's Lodge about 8 miles away, roughly 15- 25 minutes depending on traffic. It also looks nice and hosts parties and events and has a hotel right on site. Price range is moderate, think $25-$45 per person.

Remember we will potentially have people coming in from as far away as San Diego and Santa Barbara and further north.

Hopefully we'll get some input from the Long Beach Calgunners so we can have a full set of options to choose from.

artherd
02-06-2008, 10:58 PM

FOR THE WIN. Seriously.

Liberty Rules
02-07-2008, 11:30 AM
I've been to the Rockbottom Brewery in Bethesda, Maryland more times than I can count. They have great beer brewed on the premises and REALLY good food. The food is superb, and not just for a brewery. The Buffalo fajitas are killer. I haven't been to the one in Long Beach so I didn't know about the space, but BWO's post says they can accomodate 60. Sometimes, they have hand pulled ale (aka cask conditioned) for those of you who really like your beer. When I go to Maryland for a couple weeks, I usually hit Rockbottom two or three times. I highly recommend it.

As long as I'm not out of town on the date everyone picks, I plan to attend.

p.s. It's kind of a pain to drive to Rancho Cucamonga or anywhere else in San Bernardino or Riverside Counties. The freeways inevitably get snarled up and it's about 70 miles from the Westside. The only thing out there worth seeing (other than the dirt people) is there is a Bass Pro Shop in Ontario.

Right by TMLLP is the Rockbottom Brewery (http://www.rockbottom.com/RockBottomWeb/RBR/index.aspx?PageName=/RockBottomWeb/Controls/Party/DisplayPartyItem.ascx&SectionName=Root.LocationFinder.LocationResults.Lo cationDetails.Parties&SiteID=10000) Seating for 60 for dinner (reserved party/group), great beer, and good food. Cost should be under $30 for dinner and 3 beers, Lunch and 1 beer is usually under $15.

Smokeybehr
02-07-2008, 12:18 PM
I've been to the Rockbottom Brewery in Bethesda, Maryland more times than I can count. They have great beer brewed on the premises and REALLY good food. The food is superb, and not just for a brewery. The Buffalo fajitas are killer. I haven't been to the one in Long Beach so I didn't know about the space, but BWO's post says they can accomodate 60. Sometimes, they have hand pulled ale (aka cask conditioned) for those of you who really like your beer. When I go to Maryland for a couple weeks, I usually hit Rockbottom two or three times. I highly recommend it.

As long as I'm not out of town on the date everyone picks, I plan to attend.

p.s. It's kind of a pain to drive to Rancho Cucamonga or anywhere else in San Bernardino or Riverside Counties. The freeways inevitably get snarled up and it's about 70 miles from the Westside. The only thing out there worth seeing (other than the dirt people) is there is a Bass Pro Shop in Ontario.

We had a RockBottom here in Fresno for a long time before they went out and one of the local restauranteurs bought it and kept it a brewpub. The food at RB was most excellent, and I took quite a few dates there for dinner and beverages.

64Chevy
02-13-2008, 4:19 PM
Consider the Bahooka.
http://www.geocities.com/bahookarestaurant/welcome.htm
Corner of Lower Azusa Road. and Rosemead Blvd.
(605 Lower Azusa exit, go west) or
(210 exit south on Rosemead) or
(10 exit Rosmead go north).

Reasonable and good ribs.
Flotsom and jetsom galore!!
64Chevy

1911_sfca
02-13-2008, 6:11 PM
What's going on with this? Did Kestryll get the flu again? :confused:

Kestryll
02-18-2008, 2:33 PM
*crossposted from the OT version of this thread.*

Okay, it's time to move forward with this.

I have counted up the posts giving opinions on where to hold it and looked at the various venues. By the look of it Burbank has a solid lead and a clear majority. Also It makes arranging things easier because i can actually get there to deal with things! ;)

So, after looking at the various venues it looks like Sportsman's Lodge in the Burbank area is it. It has the advantage of also being a hotel for those from up North as well.

To give time for people to clear their schedules and make arrangements I would suggest the weekend of March 15-16. Saturday night or Sunday night is the only real concern at that point, for travel Saturday might work better and leave the option for a Sunday morning run up the road for a shoot at Angeles as well! :D

So, chime in and let me know if that weekend works!

hoffmang
02-18-2008, 3:31 PM
March 15-16 would be pretty bad. Arguments in Heller are on the 18th which means I'm flying on the 17th and that's a lot of nights away from the family.

How about the next weekend?

-Gene

Kestryll
02-18-2008, 3:56 PM
Oh, that's a good point, didn't think of the Heller arguments.

Okay we'll try March 22-23rd instead.

hoffmang
02-18-2008, 4:03 PM
Is the 22-23rd Easter weekend?

-Gene

jmlivingston
02-18-2008, 4:12 PM
St. Patty's day is the 17th, Easter is the 23rd. What about Saturday the 8th?

Matt C
02-18-2008, 5:05 PM
St. Patty's day is the 17th, Easter is the 23rd. What about Saturday the 8th?

8th/9th of March is no good for me, I have muster duty...

Kestryll
02-19-2008, 8:58 AM
Who told you people you could have lives, holidays and plans!?!?! :D

Okay, how about March 29th-30th?

savageevo
02-19-2008, 9:07 AM
hey guys Im in. has anybody thought about doing the party in the Palm Springs area. This is where a lot of vacationers go. Its about two hours everywhere in southern ca.

bigkahuna04
02-22-2008, 10:28 PM
Who told you people you could have lives, holidays and plans!?!?! :D

Okay, how about March 29th-30th?

aaarrrrgghhh....the 29th is my daughter's B-Day and the beginning of Spring Break...we haven't made any firm plans to go out of town...but if I can't join you guys for dinner...I might be able to make it later...

can't please everybody........... I'll pencil it in my calender to stay in town for the Saturday.

thomasanelson
02-27-2008, 12:23 PM
Sportsman's Lodge is good. I have been there for several events and they are reasonably priced. I think they have even hosted NRA and Hollywood shooters events.

WolfMansDad
02-27-2008, 7:39 PM
For what it's worth, I have a commitment for the entire week of the 17th through the 23rd. Also, something may come up suddenly after that, with increasing probability into the first week of April.

Sooner is better than later for me.

compsoftstation
07-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Is this an open carry get together?

TKM
07-11-2009, 6:13 AM
I don't know if the open carry thing was going on way back when this occurred.

Maybe someone who attended will know.

artherd
07-12-2009, 4:05 PM
This was a year ago - and NO.