PDA

View Full Version : First Finished Handmade Knife

Rampage.Maupin
10-28-2013, 8:54 PM
Hey all. I am excited to show you the first knife that I made. It is 1095 steel. 4" blade 4.5" handle. Homemade paper micarta with a handmade kydex sheath. She's a cutter. It is a hunting knife that I am giving my Dad as an early Christmas present ahead of his Colorado elk hunting trip. Let me know what you think!

More pics to follow

Rampage.Maupin
10-28-2013, 8:55 PM

Rampage.Maupin
10-28-2013, 8:56 PM

Rampage.Maupin
10-28-2013, 8:57 PM

boogak
10-28-2013, 9:04 PM
You made that yourself at home? Bad ***

Rampage.Maupin
10-28-2013, 9:06 PM
You made that yourself at home? Bad ***

Yes I did! Haha! Thanks boogak.

UberPatriot
10-28-2013, 9:11 PM
You have skill, very nice.

jeffyhog
10-28-2013, 9:11 PM
Very nice! Knife making is an art I would very much like to learn. I'm sure your Dad will love it.

Rampage.Maupin
10-28-2013, 9:12 PM
You have skill, very nice.

Thanks Patriot! I appreciate the kind words.

Rampage.Maupin
10-28-2013, 9:21 PM
Very nice! Knife making is an art I would very much like to learn. I'm sure your Dad will love it.

Thank you very much jeffy. YouTube and Bladeforums have been great resources for me, plus it helps that I have always been kind of a knife whore :D.

Blademan21
10-28-2013, 9:23 PM
Nice drop point. I like the color of the handle scales. Makes it easy to find should you drop it on the ground.
I did a bunch of neck knives with yellow shrink wrap on the handles after a customer said he had dropped his neck knife in a creek and couldn't find it.
Hope the knife brings good luck to your Dad on his hunt.

Kammunition
10-28-2013, 10:11 PM
Love the knife rampage! all the substantial parts of the knife goes into play for hunting, the point, size, and color of the handle. Things you could have done is beef the handle jimp the spine and get a more flexible steel 1095 has a high carbon level, if you don't mind me asking what's the Rockwell on it. And why the extra lanyard hole.

Rampage.Maupin
10-29-2013, 4:57 AM
Nice drop point. I like the color of the handle scales. Makes it easy to find should you drop it on the ground.
I did a bunch of neck knives with yellow shrink wrap on the handles after a customer said he had dropped his neck knife in a creek and couldn't find it.
Hope the knife brings good luck to your Dad on his hunt.

Thank you Blademan. That was the idea. Something brighter than the surrounding flora. I definitely don't want him losing the damn thing.:p

Rampage.Maupin
10-29-2013, 5:04 AM
Love the knife rampage! all the substantial parts of the knife goes into play for hunting, the point, size, and color of the handle. Things you could have done is beef the handle jimp the spine and get a more flexible steel 1095 has a high carbon level, if you don't mind me asking what's the Rockwell on it. And why the extra lanyard hole.

Thank you Kammunition. You are right on the handle. It could stand being a bit bigger. On my micarta block I tried putting shredded paper on top to give a different effect than the traditional layered. It didn't turn out very well and had pockets of resin, so I had to sand the f*** out of it to get rid of it, which is why it came out thinner. Also I was shooting for a 59-60HRC. The top one isn't a lanyard hole. Just trying to be a little different than a traditional pin. One thing is that it will decrease the weight in the handle a bit. I saw it on a Benchmade fix blade and really really liked the look.

rkt88edmo
10-29-2013, 6:52 AM
Nice work - congrats!

CSACANNONEER
10-29-2013, 7:05 AM
Awesome!

Rampage.Maupin
10-29-2013, 7:43 AM
Thanks guys

thomashoward
10-29-2013, 8:04 AM
Good job "I'll Take it" Er, I'm sure your Dad will enjoy it.

Artema
10-29-2013, 8:20 AM
Impressive for do it yourself work! I'd think it was retail if you hadn't said.

sealocan
10-29-2013, 8:30 AM
very nice work I think he will be very happy with it. I also think the additional lanyard whole could be used to make it a spear (shoelaces and a long tree branch, you know) in case loses his gun in a " boating accident "...

(Mall ninjas need to make spears all the time.)

he's a lucky guy.

Rampage.Maupin
10-29-2013, 11:55 AM
Good job "I'll Take it" Er, I'm sure your Dad will enjoy it.

You got yourself a deal I mean thank you, I hope he will.:D

Stay tuned though before too long I would love to make some pieces for others to enjoy (read: abuse).

Rampage.Maupin
10-29-2013, 11:57 AM
Impressive for do it yourself work! I'd think it was retail if you hadn't said.

Thank you Artema

Gutz
10-29-2013, 11:59 AM
Craftsmanship looks nice, not feeling the colors. Maybe if I was a hippie. :p

Good work!

Rampage.Maupin
10-29-2013, 12:01 PM
very nice work I think he will be very happy with it. I also think the additional lanyard whole could be used to make it a spear (shoelaces and a long tree branch, you know) in case loses his gun in a " boating accident "...

(Mall ninjas need to make spears all the time.)

he's a lucky guy.

Very true on the other pin hole. I hadn't thought of that. Though I gave him very specific instructions that this is only to be used for game processing. Too shiny for anything else. Ninjas or no... Haha. Thanks seal.

Rampage.Maupin
10-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Craftsmanship looks nice, not feeling the colors. Maybe if I was a hippie. :p

Good work!

Haha. Thanks Gutz. I really thought the colors made it pop, but to each his own the colors are pretty subjective. I got a whole bunch of other colors to try out though. I made a batch of black and green canvas micarta for my first attempt, but I didn't like the way I layered them so I didn't use it.

Blademan21
10-29-2013, 1:27 PM
After getting my Randall Bird & Trout, I sent it to the Randall shop and had my name lasered on the blade.
It can back with a paracord wrist thong. Gary Randall suggested I use it when working near water so if dropped it would not fall far at all. I liked it as I have used it while deep sea fishing and I sure didn't want to drop it off a boat at sea :( Keep us posted on your Dad's hunt.

Rampage.Maupin
10-29-2013, 2:35 PM
After getting my Randall Bird & Trout, I sent it to the Randall shop and had my name lasered on the blade.
It can back with a paracord wrist thong. Gary Randall suggested I use it when working near water so if dropped it would not fall far at all. I liked it as I have used it while deep sea fishing and I sure didn't want to drop it off a boat at sea :( Keep us posted on your Dad's hunt.

Yeah I was thinking about including a lanyard with it, but decided against it since it would be used primarily for field dressing. So I figured it would be one more thing to have to worry about getting grimey. Would you use a lanyard for for this purpose? If so how would you keep it simple so that it could've replaced easy? What would be your approach?

I will keep you posted. Hopefully I will have some pics to update with after his hunt.

Kammunition
10-29-2013, 5:11 PM
Thank you Kammunition. You are right on the handle. It could stand being a bit bigger. On my micarta block I tried putting shredded paper on top to give a different effect than the traditional layered. It didn't turn out very well and had pockets of resin, so I had to sand the f*** out of it to get rid of it, which is why it came out thinner. Also I was shooting for a 59-60HRC. The top one isn't a lanyard hole. Just trying to be a little different than a traditional pin. One thing is that it will decrease the weight in the handle a bit. I saw it on a Benchmade fix blade and really really liked the look.

Really professional look for a first knife nevertheless... good job on the grind forgot to mention that, also like how you got creative with a round file... use to do that on my knives as well.

Rampage.Maupin
10-29-2013, 6:30 PM
Thanks Kam. Yeah since I am doing this all by hand, I wouldn't be going anywhere without my round file.

I also posted this on Bladeforums and a couple of the guys commented on utilizing more curvature for the spine. I think I will try working that more into my designs as I develop a bit more.

Kammunition
10-29-2013, 9:13 PM
Here is my first knife it is also a skinner hopefully it can throw you some idea. I forge, never used billet unless I'm making Damascus I also like grunge too :94:http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t109/breebree19_01/image-9.jpg (http://s158.photobucket.com/user/breebree19_01/media/image-9.jpg.html)http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t109/breebree19_01/image-11.jpg (http://s158.photobucket.com/user/breebree19_01/media/image-11.jpg.html)

Rampage.Maupin
10-30-2013, 5:16 AM
I like the curvature on the blade. Wow you forged that? I haven't even dreamed of forging yet.

Blademan21
10-30-2013, 5:43 AM
Yeah I was thinking about including a lanyard with it, but decided against it since it would be used primarily for field dressing. So I figured it would be one more thing to have to worry about getting grimey. Would you use a lanyard for for this purpose? If so how would you keep it simple so that it could've replaced easy? What would be your approach?

I will keep you posted. Hopefully I will have some pics to update with after his hunt.

Randall put a laynard tube with a piece of paracord about 12" long on my Model 8. Paracord is cheap and also comes in different colors as well.I slip my wrist thru it and give it a twist. Knife stays put until I'm done. No chance of dropping it off a boat or onto the ground. Works for me anyway.
Might also be able to use the lanyard as added security of the knife on the kydex sheath.
Puma's fixed blade knives have a leather one attached to the sheath.Its pulled thru the knife's laynard tube then back over the knife handle and pulled tight for added blade retention.

Rampage.Maupin
10-30-2013, 6:20 AM
Thanks Blade

Rampage.Maupin
10-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Thanks again for stroking my ego guys!:p

DirtyDave
10-31-2013, 3:24 PM
Very cool!
Make a leather sheath and you've got a winner
I'm personally not a fan of kydex stuff. Too Tacticool for me.

shockmind
10-31-2013, 5:21 PM
Awesome looking knife... your pops will be proud!!

Mr_Dunev
10-31-2013, 7:01 PM
Maupin... I AM YOUR FATHER...

cal3gunner
11-01-2013, 8:45 AM
The knife looks great. The only thing I could think to add is having your dads name lasered on. I've worked with a few different laser companies and it's not that expensive and it really gives a personal touch to it.

Rampage.Maupin
11-01-2013, 2:56 PM
Maupin... I AM YOUR FATHER...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!

Rampage.Maupin
11-01-2013, 3:02 PM
Very cool!

If I would have had the time I would have gone this way as well. Kydex is a cheap simple way of making a sheath. Leather requires more of an investment tool wise which are not cheap from what my research has yielded.

Rampage.Maupin
11-01-2013, 3:11 PM
Very cool!

If I would have had the time an resources I would have gone this way as well. Kydex is a cheap simple way of making a sheath. Leather requires more of an investment tool wise which are not cheap from what my research has yielded.

Rampage.Maupin
11-01-2013, 3:13 PM
The knife looks great. The only thing I could think to add is having your dads name lasered on. I've worked with a few different laser companies and it's not that expensive and it really gives a personal touch to it.

I will look into this. I was wanting to come up with my own makers mark put on it, but just kinda was crunched for time.

DirtyDave
11-01-2013, 5:33 PM
If I would have had the time an resources I would have gone this way as well. Kydex is a cheap simple way of making a sheath. Leather requires more of an investment tool wise which are not cheap from what my research has yielded.

I hear that. I have yet to get into Leather Working, but will at some point.

Rampage.Maupin
11-01-2013, 6:00 PM
I hear that. I have yet to get into Leather Working, but will at some point.

One of the many side hobbies I have gotten myself into as a necessity because of knife making:D.

iflyem1
11-01-2013, 9:28 PM
I think your knife looks awesome! I'm betting your dad will love it.

Rampage.Maupin
11-02-2013, 5:51 AM
I think your knife looks awesome! I'm betting your dad will love it.

Thanks iflyem. He did indeed really appreciate it, I am just hoping it helps him get the job done if he gets the opportunity.:)

Mentiroso
08-20-2014, 6:12 PM
Great work and I'm sure your dad will cherish it.