View Full Version : Build from 0% to 80% receiver

01-28-2008, 6:49 PM

One of the other threads leads me to the question, do you have to register your 80% build in CA?

I have been considering building a 1911, for no other reason than to say I did it. Was wondering what the legal requirements are, if any.

01-28-2008, 7:03 PM
There are very little legal requirements unless you want to later sell/transfer it.

CA DOJ BoF has said that building a 1911 is legal for your own use (not for sale, to expose for sale, etc.) in regards to the roster of handguns. I'm not sure Alison was on good legal footing, but the letter makes it basically impossible to be prosecuted for manufacturing an unrostered handgun.

You can self register if you'd like - which will lessen charges of concealed carry of that handgun from felony to misdemeanor.

Best practice is to place a location and serial number of manufacture in Federally compliant engraved type size on the handgun.

01-28-2008, 11:13 PM
So the felony/misdemeanor wobbler is only if I were to be dumb enough to illegaly concealed carry the thing, right?

I can still conceal it when hunting, or take it to the range like it was registered, etc. right?

Basically can I legally use it and it's no different than a store bought pistol?