View Full Version : Question on ppt legalities

10-28-2013, 3:15 PM
Hey guys, i am not as well versed in firearm legalities as many here and had a question regarding private party transfers.

I am about to do a trade with someone on armslist. He says it was bought in arizona at a gunshow, and registered it here in california recently.

My question is:
How can i know that it is currently registered in california? I assume that would show up at some point during the ppt/dros correct?
My main concern is that since we are trading, we will both transfer our firearms at the same time. If something wasnt kosher with his paperwork, what would happen? Since my paperwork has no issues, would he get my firearm still? Would i be left with a gun in limbo? Has anything like this happened to anyone before?

Thanks in advance

Edit: forgot to mention, we are both currently california residents.

10-28-2013, 3:28 PM
You don't care, because CA does not care.

Unless the gun were reported as stolen, or you come back as an ineligible person, the sale should go through with no problems.

California does not require that guns be 'registered' for ownership or possession; DROS will submit information to the State as part of the sale.

10-28-2013, 3:54 PM
Thank you for the clarification and quick reply.

10-28-2013, 4:20 PM
California does not require that guns be 'registered' for ownership or possession;

Entirely correct, however I would add the slight clarification that unlicensed CCW of a handgun that is registered is generally a misdemeanor, while the same act with a unregistered handgun is generally a felony. Not particularly applicable here, but good to be aware of.