PDA

View Full Version : Auto Ordnance 1911 problem

Grouch
01-28-2008, 2:38 PM
Ok so I finally got a bushing wrench and was able to disassemble and clean the Auto Ordnance 1911 I was given by my grandfather.

While I am a 1911 noob, I've field stripped and reassembled the colt 1911 without issue.

On the Auto Ordnance I've noticed now that when the slide is released forward using the slide stop, the hammer follows and then moves to a 1/2 cocked (more like 1/4 cocked) position, instead of staying in the fully cocked position. I assume the same will happen during live fire.

The hammer remains fully cocked if I release the slide slower and provide resistance with my hand.

I did not have this problem prior to my field stripping and cleaning and it functioned fine for the 50 rounds I put through it before cleaning .

What did I do?

Grouch
01-28-2008, 2:47 PM
eh I'm reading that this isn't uncommon with match weapons when th sears get worn. This was my g-pa's back up target 1911 and it has had some work done on it.

Black Majik
01-28-2008, 2:51 PM
How bad is the sear / hammer hooks?

JMB1911
01-28-2008, 2:55 PM
Sounds like the disconnector may be damaged. This would cause the hammer to fall when the slide moves forward. If your finger was on the trigger during live fire, you would go full auto with a broken disconnector. But since you're releasing the slide without your finger on the trigger, the hammer stops at the half-cock notch. Do a function test. Cock the hammer then pull the trigger. Keep your finger on the trigger and keep the trigger in its most rearward position. Pull the slide back and let it go forward with your trigger finger still holding the trigger back. The hammer should stay cocked until you release the trigger and pull it back again. If the hammer falls when the slide goes forward, then you need a new disconnector.

Grouch
01-28-2008, 3:01 PM
How bad is the sear / hammer hooks?

I've never done more than field strip it.

Grouch
01-28-2008, 3:05 PM
Do a function test. Cock the hammer then pull the trigger. Keep your finger on the trigger and keep the trigger in its most rearward position. Pull the slide back and let it go forward with your trigger finger still holding the trigger back. The hammer should stay cocked until you release the trigger and pull it back again. If the hammer falls when the slide goes forward, then you need a new disconnector.

Ok I did this, and while keeping the trigger pulled. Then pulling the slide back then releasing it forward the hammer remained fully cocked.

Grouch
01-28-2008, 3:11 PM
I'm thinking it might be something with the sear, i remember when I first fired it i had what I thought was an accidental double tap because I wasn't used to the 2mm long and super light pull of the trigger. Maybe there is an actual issue here.

which suck cause its more money.

God Bless The Mauser
01-28-2008, 3:32 PM
My SA GI 1911 will do that if the trigger is just barely pulled back, too much and it won't do it and not pulled at all it won't do it. I have never had a problem with it during live fire since it only happens with the trigger just barely pulled and I don't keep my finger on the trigger when I release the slide anyways. I have about 1500 rounds through it.

Riodog
01-28-2008, 3:35 PM
I hope you're letting the slide "slam: home without a magazine in the pistol.=>not good. The hammer will drop for multiple reasons but it sounds like light spring (you did say this was a target pistol) and the slamming of the slide going into battery. Does it do it with an empty magazine? Does it do it with a loaded magazine? I'd bet on the light spring. Probably had the hammer notch and sear worked on also(polished or stoned at the wrong angle). Try a new trigger spring and see if that cures the problem as that's the cheapest to start with.
Rio

Kruzr
01-28-2008, 3:51 PM
You need to detail strip the gun and look at the sear nose and the hammer hooks. If they don't look bad then the problem is most likely the sear spring. This is the three fingered leaf spring that sits in front of the mainspring housing. The middle finger needs more tension in your case. This keeps the disconnector where it should be and tensions the trigger bow. You need to bend this middle finger farther forward to give more tension.

dfletcher
01-28-2008, 6:54 PM
If you bought the gun new and there has been no home gunsmithing attempted, and there are no defects to the gun, I'd go with it being the 3 finger leaf spring as mentioned, maybe bent during disassembly or reassembly. Not positive which finger on the leaf spring pivots the sear to the rear, causing it to engage the hammer (pretty sure it's the far left, the middle does the disconnector) but you might try correcting the problem by slightly bending it forward. Just don't bend the far right forward, that one works on the safety.

smle-man
01-28-2008, 7:03 PM
Ok so I finally got a bushing wrench and was able to disassemble and clean the Auto Ordnance 1911 I was given by my grandfather.

While I am a 1911 noob, I've field stripped and reassembled the colt 1911 without issue.

On the Auto Ordnance I've noticed now that when the slide is released forward using the slide stop, the hammer follows and then moves to a 1/2 cocked (more like 1/4 cocked) position, instead of staying in the fully cocked position. I assume the same will happen during live fire.

The hammer remains fully cocked if I release the slide slower and provide resistance with my hand.

I did not have this problem prior to my field stripping and cleaning and it functioned fine for the 50 rounds I put through it before cleaning .

What did I do?

It may have had a trigger job done to it. I worked with a SSG in one of my Army assignments who had been an armorer on the AMU. Whenever he chambered a round in a .45 Govt model he always kept his thumb on the hammer to prevent it from following the slide home. He got into the habit from the match .45s at the AMU that had the hammer sears adjusted so lightly that the jar of the slide running home to chamber a round would cause the hammer to drop to the saftey notch (half cock). I suggest you take the pistol to a gunsmith.

Knauga
01-28-2008, 8:28 PM
If you bought the gun new and there has been no home gunsmithing attempted, and there are no defects to the gun, I'd go with it being the 3 finger leaf spring as mentioned, maybe bent during disassembly or reassembly. Not positive which finger on the leaf spring pivots the sear to the rear, causing it to engage the hammer (pretty sure it's the far left, the middle does the disconnector) but you might try correcting the problem by slightly bending it forward. Just don't bend the far right forward, that one works on the safety.

I would detail strip it, clean it and put it back together and see if it stops doing it. Also see if any broken parts fall out ;)

If it still does it after that take it to a gunsmith.

Grouch
01-28-2008, 9:49 PM
I hope you're letting the slide "slam: home without a magazine in the pistol.=>not good. The hammer will drop for multiple reasons but it sounds like light spring (you did say this was a target pistol) and the slamming of the slide going into battery. Does it do it with an empty magazine? Does it do it with a loaded magazine? I'd bet on the light spring. Probably had the hammer notch and sear worked on also(polished or stoned at the wrong angle). Try a new trigger spring and see if that cures the problem as that's the cheapest to start with.
Rio

There is always an empty mag in. I haven't tried with a loaded as right now there is no place truely safe and I haven't gone to range since I noticed the problem.

Grouch
01-28-2008, 9:52 PM
thanks for the help. I'll detail strip it and see if I can post any updates.