PDA

View Full Version : Man is now a felon in NYC after flying with guns.[Keenan Draughon of TN]

Elysium
10-27-2013, 8:19 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2013/10/26/us/new-york-jfk-flight-guns/index.html

To NY cerrakote means defacing a serial.

Loaded means ammo in eyeshot of weapon.

So sad.

ChaoSS
10-27-2013, 1:17 PM
"It's unusual, but it's not remarkable," Pentangelo told CNN about the case. "Luckily, no one got hurt."

Why would anyone get hurt? How is it lucky that no one gets hurt? Just because a guy had a gun that technically violated some inane law?

And someone did get hurt. The guy that just lost his gun rights over some inane technical violation, because of an overbearing government.

jarhead714
10-27-2013, 1:18 PM
He's a felon for the high capacity mags too..

morfeeis
10-27-2013, 9:35 PM
Just freaking sad, his life might be over due to an over reaching corrupt state and their screwed up laws. Way to go, i bet they saved thousands of lives by getting this super killer off the streets.

anthem
10-27-2013, 9:40 PM
He tried to check a loaded firearm. What an idiot.

And you guys are like, oh poor victim.....

Ninety
10-27-2013, 9:53 PM
Loaded by who's definition?

epilepticninja
10-27-2013, 10:12 PM
He should have been arrested for the nasty paint jobs.

morfeeis
10-27-2013, 11:40 PM

yeah cause a rifle that is locked in a case is sure to go off and cause the plane to crash. Add to that what is loaded? did he have ammo in the case and to them that = loaded? and if he left the rifle loaded then why were the magazines unloaded, that's kind of off.

njineermike
10-28-2013, 12:09 AM

Ney York defines a firearm as "loaded" when the ammunition is in the same bag as the firearm.

See:http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/04/02/pregnant-mom-arrested-in-new-york-for-unloaded-handgun-in-checked-baggage/

Your avatar fits you....

MA5177
10-28-2013, 5:09 AM
It said in the report that one rifle was loaded. If he is from North Carolina..well they roll a little different there and probably thought no big deal, sad though his life is ruined by this.

NY has super strict gun laws and no way would I ever bring a gun there, I wont even chance flying with a gun out of LAX, not worht my hastle.

ptusa
10-28-2013, 6:08 AM
He should have been arrested for the nasty paint jobs.

QFT.

ChrisC
10-28-2013, 8:39 AM
Quoted from the article:
Draughon faces two counts of criminal possession of a weapon, two counts of criminal possession of a defaced rifle and two counts of criminal possession of large-capacity magazine.

------------------

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Plus that purple paint job. What the heck were they thinking?

sd_shooter
10-28-2013, 8:57 AM
The East Coast is definitely even worse than here.

In DC you get jail time just for having some empty brass laying around:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/23/miller-dc-businessman-faces-two-years-jail-unregis/?page=all

Mark Witaschek, a successful financial adviser with no criminal record, is facing two years in prison for possession of unregistered ammunition after D.C. police raided his house looking for guns. Mr. Witaschek has never had a firearm in the city, but he is being prosecuted to the full extent of the law. The trial starts on Nov. 4.

TeddyBallgame
10-28-2013, 9:13 AM

And you guys are like, oh poor victim.....such a dangerous felon...an Out-of-Stater who probably didn't check, or, realize, that NY is not very gun friendly...and, yes, in my eyes, he is a victim...a victim of stupid laws, where, a wrong that can be corrected in about 2 minutes, instead, turns into this kind of selective prosecution...shame on NY

"It's unusual, but it's not remarkable," Pentangelo told CNN about the case. "Luckily, no one got hurt." comments like this prove just how retarded some people can become

NY must feel so much safer now, with this guy off the streets :rolleyes:

coma13
10-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Gun laws aside, the dude definitely deserved to be punished for those paint jobs!

morfeeis
10-28-2013, 5:03 PM
Quoted from the article:
Draughon faces two counts of criminal possession of a weapon, two counts of criminal possession of a defaced rifle and two counts of criminal possession of large-capacity magazine.

------------------

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Plus that purple paint job. What the heck were they thinking?
Please tell me you're joking? that old "ignorance of the law...." crap is getting old, read this (http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748704471504574438900830760842). There is almost no way to keep up with all the BS these idiots pass every year, funny how POTUS gets away with everything by claiming he didn't know..

Elysium
10-28-2013, 7:51 PM
Please tell me you're joking? that old "ignorance of the law...." crap is getting old, read this (http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052748704471504574438900830760842). There is almost no way to keep up with all the BS these idiots pass every year, funny how POTUS gets away with everything by claiming he didn't know..

:clap:

Bustercat
10-29-2013, 12:36 AM
Flew through jfk earlier this month with a k98, yellowboy, and remington 1866 without a cylinder.
No issues but a few questions (are you a collector? are you sure you aren't bringing any ammo with you? Where did you get these? Why does this mosin nagant (!) have so many serial numbers?)
Generally got the sense the TSA cops and DHS dude were not at all knowledgeable about guns or gun laws, pretty much leaving it to my confidence and knowledge of Cali laws to assess whether or not to let me thru.
They open up all your stuff right at the check in counter, ask you to pick up the firearms and show they're empty, btw. Felt pretty mickey mouse.
That was terminal 5 though.

Bobby Ricigliano
10-29-2013, 6:22 AM
"Luckily, no one got hurt."

WOW

Artema
10-29-2013, 6:39 AM
I'll have to read this when I have time, but I know NY tries to get people who even have EMERGENCY LANDINGS in their state. Scum of the universe.

Cody
10-29-2013, 7:41 AM
Story:
New York (CNN) -- A man was arrested Saturday at John F. Kennedy International Airport after checking a loaded rifle and three other illegal weapons, according to a Port Authority spokesperson.

Keenan Draughon of Clarksville, Tennessee, was arrested after he checked two handguns, two defaced rifles and two unloaded high-capacity magazines, according to Port Authority spokesperson Joseph Pentangelo.

In New York City, it is illegal to carry a handgun or possess a high-capacity magazine. Rifles and shotguns are legal to carry if unloaded with a proper permit, according to Pentangelo.
Also confiscated were two handguns, which are illegal to possess in New York, and a rifle painted silver, obscuring the serial number.
Also confiscated were two handguns, which are illegal to possess in New York, and a rifle painted silver, obscuring the serial number.

The two rifles were defaced, one with purple paint and the other with silver paint, covering the serial numbers, which is a crime, according to Pentangelo. One rifle was loaded.

Draughon, 23, was stopped and questioned at security before going through metal detectors while trying to board a flight to Charlotte, North Carolina. He had checked the weapons in gun cases at Terminal 8, according to Pentangelo.

Draughon also had a fifth weapon -- a shotgun -- that was legal to travel with, according to Pentangelo.

"It's unusual, but it's not remarkable," Pentangelo told CNN about the case. "Luckily, no one got hurt."

Draughon was in custody Saturday. CNN was unable to identify or reach an attorney.

ChrisC
10-29-2013, 8:02 AM

No I am not joking. If you are going to own a firearm in these times and go to another state, you need to know the laws. All people like this do is make gun owners look ignorant. With anything in life, you just can't do as you please. Like it or not there are laws that need to be followed or you pay the price.

If you want to stay ignorant, then go ahead, but don't cry when you break a law you didn't know because you were too lazy to check before you went to another state.

Artema
10-29-2013, 8:41 AM
No I am not joking. If you are going to own a firearm in these times and go to another state, you need to know the laws. All people like this do is make gun owners look ignorant. With anything in life, you just can't do as you please. Like it or not there are laws that need to be followed or you pay the price.

If you want to stay ignorant, then go ahead, but don't cry when you break a law you didn't know because you were too lazy to check before you went to another state.

It isn't completely unreasonable to think you can travel and sort things out at your new home. It's apparently illegal in NY. In California, for instance, a military member can bring their machine gun through the state, to their base, check it in at their armory, and THEN sort out the legalities.

ChrisC
10-29-2013, 9:08 AM
It isn't completely unreasonable to think you can travel and sort things out at your new home. It's apparently illegal in NY. In California, for instance, a military member can bring their machine gun through the state, to their base, check it in at their armory, and THEN sort out the legalities.

When I travel to any other state I check the gun laws as well as the driving laws since I tow a vehicle behind an rv. Plus I have to check the fishing and hunting regs as well. If you won't take the time to make sure your not obeying the law when you enter a state, then you will pay the price.

Why not get informed before you go, who wants to deal with the headaches of having to deal with the police if you happen to get stopped. Sounds like someone was just being lazy.

Artema
10-29-2013, 9:10 AM
When I travel to any other state I check the gun laws as well as the driving laws since I tow a vehicle behind an rv. Plus I have to check the fishing and hunting regs as well. If you won't take the time to make sure your not obeying the law when you enter a state, then you will pay the price.

Why not get informed before you go, who wants to deal with the headaches of having to deal with the police if you happen to get stopped. Sounds like someone was just being lazy.

Sounds like some state was being oppressive and violating something not to be infringed according to the highest law of the land.

kentactic
10-29-2013, 9:14 AM
Another victim of a corrupt system. He did NOT lose his right to bear arms. He merely lost the approval of a criminal organization to exercise his god given right. Clearly his original approval was very limited.

ccmc
10-29-2013, 9:23 AM
]

Maine, New Hampshire, Delaware, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida are all east coast states with much better gun laws than California. In some ways Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut are marginally better than California. That leaves New York, New Jersey and Maryland along with DC where your statement might be true.

ccmc
10-29-2013, 9:24 AM
funny how POTUS gets away with everything by claiming he didn't know..

Indeed.

ChrisC
10-29-2013, 11:04 AM
Sounds like some state was being oppressive and violating something not to be infringed according to the highest law of the land.

Even if they were, are you willing to go to bat and break the laws to fight them? I doubt it. I bet your smart enough to look into the laws of other states before you take your guns there.

Artema
10-29-2013, 11:06 AM
Even if they were, are you willing to go to bat and break the laws to fight them? I doubt it. I bet your smart enough to look into the laws of other states before you take your guns there.

So the law is designed to punish people who aren't smart? And that's just okay?

Ritchie8719
10-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Sounds like someone was just being lazy.

I check the laws too. However, there is NOTHING in the FEDERAL requirements for purchasing or owning guns that requires that one know each state's laws, unlike the requirements for FFL's. There is an amendment, and this is one country. Your excuse for the actions of a municipality is ridiculous.

hermosabeach
10-29-2013, 1:33 PM

Wow

Maybe an airline clerk could have clarified that ammo needed to be in a seperate bag.

Artema
10-29-2013, 1:41 PM
Making ridiculous definitions about ammo being near a gun means it is loaded is insane. Making statements about how it is lucky no one was hurt should be considered libelous.

chozenfew805
10-29-2013, 1:48 PM
:facepalm:

Shorthair
10-29-2013, 2:51 PM
Can't believe anyone feels sorry for this guy. Common sense in 21st Century America. The wild west was tamed a long time ago. Sometimes people who get busted for gun violations really do deserve it. And yes, unless this guy just crawled out of a cave he should have educated himself like I have done MANY times prior to traveling. The press and the govt arent the problem here, its the knuckle head with the spray painted guns at the NYC airport.

Artema
10-29-2013, 3:30 PM
Can't believe anyone feels sorry for this guy. Common sense in 21st Century America. The wild west was tamed a long time ago. Sometimes people who get busted for gun violations really do deserve it. And yes, unless this guy just crawled out of a cave he should have educated himself like I have done MANY times prior to traveling. The press and the govt arent the problem here, its the knuckle head with the spray painted guns at the NYC airport.

Cerakote is a VERY common way to touch up guns with normal wear. Old P6 that looks like hell? Some Gray and Black baked Cerakote makes it look better than new. It isn't much different than the other types of refinishing. Spray painted makes you sound like you don't know what you're talking about.

hatidua
10-29-2013, 4:12 PM

"The East Coast" isn't one state y'know ;)

Gun laws in ME/NH/NC/SC/GA/FL are quite different from CA, and all of them are on the "East Coast".

Packy14
10-29-2013, 4:29 PM

In DC you get jail time just for having some empty brass laying around:
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/oct/23/miller-dc-businessman-faces-two-years-jail-unregis/?page=all

Not all of the east coast, much of it is far better gun law wise. NY is even more retarded than CA, and that takes skill.

anbu_yoshi
10-29-2013, 4:33 PM
Ignorance of the Law is very legit. Ain't yall seen Breaking Bad? Shiz, Skyler got the IRS off of Ted.

Ritchie8719
10-29-2013, 4:35 PM
Maybe an airline clerk could have clarified that ammo needed to be in a seperate bag.

Which it does not need to be, Federally speaking, TSA speaking, and even California speaking.

morfeeis
10-29-2013, 5:30 PM

There is no way to have your rights and fly to NY, thats kind of the point of their laws. I think you're missing that part, they want to ruin your life and let word spread that we're a no gun area". even the lady that called and did all the research she could got cuffed. learn to recognize corruption when it's slapping cuffs on you or putting its' boot on your neck (sorry if that sounds harsh, i just don't have another way to say it).

arsilva32
10-29-2013, 11:10 PM

then your ok with these anti 2nd laws,and pusifide press that pee all over themselves at the mere sight of a gun? ( even ugly painted ones ) yes if he was smart he would have taken the time to know the laws where he was traveling, however the press and the government ARE the problem here, government for the anti 2nd asinine laws, press for making a small correctable issue into a huge public enemy #1 lucky no one was hurt anti firearm story.

FourT6and2
11-12-2013, 3:37 PM
Unfortunately, you can not possess a firearm in NYC without permits. That doesn't just mean carry around. It means you can't have one in your home, on your person, in a vehicle, and so on. In order to check a gun in at JFK, you need to possess it on you, right? Well that's illegal there. Even if it's cased, locked, loaded/unloaded... doesn't matter.

If you have a gun, do not fly into or out of an airport in or around NYC. Just don't. I've read numerous articles where people have been arrested for doing so. A few months ago a celebrity athlete was caught doing the same thing. A man was also arrested because his legally checked firearm was discovered when his flight had to make an emergency landing in NYC and he was arrested, even though his firearm was legally checked. The fact that he had to take possession of his bag and then recheck it meant he became a felon.

NYC = no guns. Period. I won't even drive through the city. I go around.

a1c
11-12-2013, 4:06 PM
PLEASE be more accurate when you use such titles.

The guy was arrested and charged, but NOT convicted.

He is, therefore, NOT a felon - yet.

It will be interesting to see which ones of those 3 double charges stick.

stix213
11-12-2013, 5:21 PM
Friends don't let friends travel to NYC. Boycott the whole ****ing city. **** them.

Fixmy59bug
11-12-2013, 8:34 PM
So, does that mean if I were to legally check my handguns and my AR-15 all with legal 10 round magazines, and if I were flying from California to Rhode Island with a stopover in NYC that I could be charged with a crime because they do not allow 7+ round magazines in their state?

Bobby Hated
11-12-2013, 8:41 PM
I got charged with felony weapons possession for having a pocket knife in NYC. Walking on the subway minding my own business I got stopped and frisked and they charged me with possession of a "gravity knife" for my CRKT Crawford Kasper folder.

I plead out to a Class A misdemeanor weapons possession charge at the advice of my attorney who said that according to NY law ANY folding knife can be defined as a gravity knife in NY.

I bought the knife at an upscale sporting goods store not 200 yards from where I was arrested for it a year later.

**** NYC and everyone in it!

anthonyca
11-12-2013, 8:51 PM
I got charged with felony weapons possession for having a pocket knife in NYC. Walking on the subway minding my own business I got stopped and frisked and they charged me with possession of a "gravity knife" for my CRKT Crawford Kasper folder.

I plead out to a Class A misdemeanor weapons possession charge at the advice of my attorney who said that according to NY law ANY folding knife can be defined as a gravity knife in NY.

I bought the knife at an upscale sporting goods store not 200 yards from where I was arrested for it a year later.

**** NYC and everyone in it!

I am sorry that happened to you. Anyone who believes stop and frisk is OK doesn't deserve to be an American citizen.

morfeeis
11-12-2013, 9:10 PM
Anyone who believes stop and frisk is OK doesn't deserve to be an American citizen.
This!!!

how that has not been stopped hurts my head every time i think about it. How it even got started hurts my heart.

Artema
11-13-2013, 6:07 AM
I am sorry that happened to you. Anyone who believes stop and frisk is OK doesn't deserve to be an American citizen.

Agreed!

penguin0123
11-13-2013, 7:56 AM
We all know why these laws are written.

Did you really think we want those laws observed?" said Dr. Ferris. "We want them to be broken. You'd better get it straight that it's not a bunch of boy scouts you're up against... We're after power and we mean it... There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws. Who wants a nation of law-abiding citizens? What's there in that for anyone? But just pass the kind of laws that can neither be observed nor enforced or objectively interpreted and you create a nation of law-breakers and then you cash in on guilt. Now that's the system, Mr. Reardon, that's the game, and once you understand it, you'll be much easier to deal with.

ENTHUSIAST
11-13-2013, 8:07 AM

+1 I also believe internal warrantless suspicion less checkpoints are also anti-American.

But many people here on CG do not agree unfortunately.

Gutz
11-13-2013, 8:14 AM

You ****ing democrat....

FourT6and2
11-13-2013, 10:02 AM
So, does that mean if I were to legally check my handguns and my AR-15 all with legal 10 round magazines, and if I were flying from California to Rhode Island with a stopover in NYC that I could be charged with a crime because they do not allow 7+ round magazines in their state?

Yep. If you take possession of your checked weapons while in NYC, you will get arrested. Usually you don't get your bags and recheck them while at a layover. But if extenuating circumstances cause you to have to get your bags from baggage claim and then recheck them, you will be in trouble. Sometimes NYPA (Port Authority) will check to see if anybody has (legally) checked in weapons at their departure origin location and even if you don't take possession of your weapons at your layover in NYC, they will find you in the airport and arrest you.

It's complete BS. But it has happened.

Like I said earlier, there was a case of someone who legally checked their weapons at their departure in one state and was flying to... Maine, for example... and an emergency situation caused the plane to land in NYC. Passengers were forced to stay overnight and had to pick their bags up from baggage claim. The guy was arrested. Even though extenuating circumstances forced him into illegally possessing his legally-checked firearms. No mercy.

vincewarde
11-13-2013, 5:16 PM
It is always a good idea to travel in accordance with the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986. Firearms unloaded, secured in locked case, unloaded. Ammo in another locked case. According to FOPA, if your comply with it's provisions AND the firearm is legal at both the beginning and end of your trip, LOCAL LAWS DO NOT APPLY as long as the firearms remain locked in the case. NYC, just ignores this law. If you miss a flight and must take your luggage, you will likely be arrested just BECAUSE. So, you have to post a bond, hire a lawyer and show up for the first hearing - where the case will be dismissed because of FOPA. This is why the NRA has warned gun owners for years: Never fly through any NYC airport.

Putting teeth (civil and criminal) in this provision of FOPA has been on the gun rights wishlist for a long time - and had the background check bill passed, severe civil penalties would have been enacted for these kind of violations - it was one of the things they were willing to trade to get their non-universal universal background checks.

a1c
11-14-2013, 9:08 AM
I agree it's a good idea to know the laws. In fact it's obvious this guy screwed up. At first I was tempted to blame this mostly on him.

Then I read 1. the firearm was not loaded, but that NY has a different definition (I would have read up on that, but to me that's an "honest" mistake because that is such a dumb law) and then that 2. the cerakote layer got him a serial defacing charge. That is complete BS.

I suspect some of these charges will be dropped by the DA, as they could get hairy if taken to trial. I hope this guy gets a good attorney who can maybe, maybe get him to plea to misdemeanor charges. If not, he could go to trial and see what a jury thinks. I have no idea what district that would be in and what the jury make up would be like nor what their views on the RKBA would be, so I'm really not sure that's the right course.

Regardless, may this be a lesson for the rest of us.

njineermike
11-14-2013, 9:33 AM
I agree it's a good idea to know the laws. In fact it's obvious this guy screwed up. At first I was tempted to blame this mostly on him.

Then I read 1. the firearm was not loaded, but that NY has a different definition (I would have read up on that, but to me that's an "honest" mistake because that is such a dumb law) and then that 2. the cerakote layer got him a serial defacing charge. That is complete BS.

I suspect some of these charges will be dropped by the DA, as they could get hairy if taken to trial. I hope this guy gets a good attorney who can maybe, maybe get him to plea to misdemeanor charges. If not, he could go to trial and see what a jury thinks. I have no idea what district that would be in and what the jury make up would be like nor what their views on the RKBA would be, so I'm really not sure that's the right course.

Regardless, may this be a lesson for the rest of us.

Just on principal, I avoid flying through NYC at all cost. When I was doing work in Toronto I flew in and out of Buffalo. I used connecting flights out of Minneapolis, and I didn't even have a firearm because I was going to Canada. Every time I was in NYC it sucked. I have no idea what the draw for that craphole is.

a1c
11-14-2013, 10:05 AM
Just on principal, I avoid flying through NYC at all cost. When I was doing work in Toronto I flew in and out of Buffalo. I used connecting flights out of Minneapolis, and I didn't even have a firearm because I was going to Canada. Every time I was in NYC it sucked. I have no idea what the draw for that craphole is.

Well there are a few airports I always try avoiding, and Newark/JFK are always on the list. But it's for other reasons. Then again, I rarely fly with firearms.

njineermike
11-14-2013, 10:09 AM
Well there are a few airports I always try avoiding, and Newark/JFK are always on the list. But it's for other reasons. Then again, I rarely fly with firearms.

I once spent 6 hours on the tarmac at JFK flying back from Turkey. I'd rather walk home than ever go through that again.

Volksgrenadier
11-14-2013, 10:11 AM
Anyone who believes stop and frisk is OK doesn't deserve to be an American citizen.

This +1

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lzo6o0vpay1qk9b9zo1_500.jpg