View Full Version : Registering a hand Gun in CA brought from out of state

01-27-2008, 2:23 PM
Here is the situation. I just got talking to a fellow Sailor that got stationed here in CA about a year ago. He was under the impression that Hand Guns/Rifles were not supposed to be registered with the local PD (Which I told him that it was correct). However, I know that he was supposed to have registered his Hand Guns with the DOJ before or after a certain period of time after he got to CA. Like I said, he got here a little over a year ago, can he still register them Hand Guns with the DOJ? He does have the receipt to show that he purchased the Hand Guns when he was stationed outside of CA. Thanks in advance to any help...

01-27-2008, 2:33 PM
DOJ tends to ignore where the handgun came from and just accept the registrations.

01-27-2008, 4:55 PM
2)(A) On or after January 1, 1998, within 60 days of bringing a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person into this state, a personal handgun importer shall do one of the following:
(i) Forward by prepaid mail or deliver in person to the Department of Justice, a report prescribed by the department including information concerning that individual and a description of the firearm in question.

(B) Paragraphs (2) and (3) shall not apply to a person who reports his or her ownership of a pistol, revolver, or other firearm capable of being concealed upon the person after the applicable grace period specified in paragraph (2) or (3) expires if evidence of that violation arises only as the result of the person submitting the report described in paragraph (2) or (3).

If I'm reading that correctly, you can't get in trouble for ratting yourself off.

01-27-2008, 6:23 PM
If I'm reading that correctly, you can't get in trouble for ratting yourself off.

Thanks Dump..

01-27-2008, 6:28 PM

You are correct and that was what I was remembering.

01-27-2008, 11:45 PM
This is a letter I got from CA DOJ regarding a similar question:

Mr. RegularLT1,

This is in response to your recent correspondence to the Bureau of Firearms, regarding the transportation and registration of your handguns. You may transport the handguns into California, and then register them to you in California using a New Resident Handgun Ownership Report. This form is available on the Bureau of Firearms public website at www.ag.ca.gov/firearms, under Forms and Publications. You must file this form with the Department of Justice within 60 days of bringing the firearms into the state. You must transport the firearms as checked baggage, unloaded and in a hard locking case with a key or combination lock, or in accordance with airline security requirements.

You do not need to go through a firearms dealer. Make sure the weapons are not classified as assault weapons (threaded barrel) or have greater than a 10-round magazine capacity.
I hope this information is helpful to you. If you have any further questions or need further assistance, please contact the Bureau of Firearms at (916) 263-4887, or via e-mail.

Brent George
Staff Services Analyst
Training, Information, and Compliance Section
Bureau of Firearms
Division of Law Enforcement
California Department of Justice
(916) 263 - 4868

>>> "Regular@LT1.com" <Regular@LT1.com> 5/11/2007 11:34 AM >>>
Name: RegularLT1
Phone Number:
Email: Regular@LT1.com

Message: Greetings. I have moved here from out of state (Texas) about 6 months ago. I have 2 handguns,a .22 and 9mm auto, that I left with my Mom. I am flying there soon and would like to bring the pistols back with me. What procedure should I follow to legally transport these firearms? Please note that all normal ownership qualifications are met, such as magazine capacity, not on any ban lists, etc.

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication with its contents may contain
confidential and/or legally privileged information. It is solely for the
use of the intended recipient(s). Unauthorized interception, review, use
or disclosure is prohibited and may violate applicable laws including
the Electronic Communications Privacy Act. If you are not the intended
recipient, please contact the sender and destroy all copies of the