PDA

View Full Version : PSA SS12G2 Premium 16'' 5.56mm 1:7 Carbine Length M4 Profile Upper

Raptor3000
10-22-2013, 7:34 AM
Hi Guys,

Planning to order this upper from PSA, please let me know how this upper is? Called PSA and they confirmed that it comes with FN barrel. is it a good deal?

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/m4-ss12g2-16-cmv-chrome-lined-stripped-railed-upper-without-bcg-or-charging-handle.html

Basically, PSA is charging $100 for the rail. Similar uppers go for like $299 without rail.

Please advice.

thanks

pitbull30
11-17-2013, 8:52 AM
Bump. I was emailed this deal today for 369. Its out of stock already, but I wondering if its a good deal. Maybe they'll post some more for Black Friday.

iTrack
11-17-2013, 9:11 AM
It's an ok deal. You still need a BCG and CH so that puts you around $500-$515.

Mossy Man
11-17-2013, 9:15 AM
I have this same upper.

Paid $399 for it.

I love it.

the MI rail is one of the slimmest FF out there

SBsasquatch
11-17-2013, 9:23 AM
+1 what itrack said.
The hand guard goes for like $150+
After that add in ch and bcg anther $150
Personally I'm waiting for their bf deals....

SDM44
11-17-2013, 9:24 AM
I bought the PTAC version (same rail/handguard) for $399 shipped with BCG & CH, and it shoots fine. Considerable lighter than my other PSA mid-length CMV upper with MOE handguard.

The only thing I noticed is that the rail diameter is very small (that's either good or bad, depending on the shooter) and the area over the gas block can get hot after some time shooting it.

Mossy Man
11-17-2013, 9:27 AM
+1 what itrack said.
The hand guard goes for like $150+
After that add in ch and bcg anther $150
Personally I'm waiting for their bf deals....

well if you consider "build it yourself" sale prices:

Blemished upper: $50
Upper Parts Kit: $20
FN Barrel: $200
MI SS12G2: $130
Low Pro Gas Block: $30
Gas Tube: $15
A2 Flash Hider: $5

That's still $450, and they put it together for you.

Still cheaper to buy this one than make it yourself with "on sale" parts.

Mossy Man
11-17-2013, 9:28 AM
I bought the PTAC version (same rail/handguard) for $399 shipped with BCG & CH, and it shoots fine. Considerable lighter than my other PSA mid-length CMV upper with MOE handguard.

The only thing I noticed is that the rail diameter is very small (that's either good or bad, depending on the shooter) and the area over the gas block can get hot after some time shooting it.

the slimness of the rail is what attracts me to the MI.

Not only that, due to the modular nature of the rail sections, you aren't also having to load up your rifle with more weight/bulk with rail covers, etc.

Slim is the way to go IMO

electric7
11-17-2013, 9:40 AM
It's a great rail, super light. The FN barrel is nice, shoots well. I would buy the upper and then get a high quality BCG. Sometimes Palmetto offers this upper with a PTAC BCG and CH. PTAC is supposed to provide low cost parts and the BCG is not something you should cut a corner on. Sometimes they offer it with a premium BCG.

Mossy Man
11-17-2013, 9:42 AM
It's a great rail, super light. The FN barrel is nice, shoots well. I would buy the upper and then get a higher quality BCG. PTAC is supposed to provide low cost parts and the BCG is not something you should cut a corner on.

the OP's link is without a BCG/CH

electric7
11-17-2013, 9:52 AM
the OP's link is without a BCG/CH

I'm just saying this because PSA often offers this upper complete with BCG and CH.

G21Shooter
11-17-2013, 10:11 AM
Its beyond me how PSA makes any money off their uppers, if they really use the parts they say they do.

For instance comparable BCM uppers cost twice as much!

Mossy Man
11-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Its beyond me how PSA makes any money off their uppers, if they really use the parts they say they do.

For instance comparable BCM uppers cost twice as much!

probably volume and good contracts

GoatLovin
11-17-2013, 10:21 AM
Bump. I was emailed this deal today for 369. Its out of stock already, but I wondering if its a good deal. Maybe they'll post some more for Black Friday.

It went on sale Thursday or Friday actually. I almost pulled the trigger on it yesterday, but I'm trying to wait for BF.

SBsasquatch
11-17-2013, 10:43 AM
very prudent point mr. Mossyman.
I need to consider that angle to.

2nd4ever
11-17-2013, 2:20 PM
I jumped on this deal - the chrome lined barrel and free float did it for me.
What's "BF" mean?

SBsasquatch
11-17-2013, 3:49 PM
"Black Friday"=Bf

infringed711
11-17-2013, 4:00 PM
It was sold out before I saw it...kinda sad

Ladyrr
11-17-2013, 4:06 PM
I have this upper and love it. The rail gets compliments all the time and others want to try it out because of how small the diameter is, Love this upper. good choice.

steveOsteezy
11-17-2013, 4:22 PM
MI sells a panel kit for the gen 2 SS. I have one on my 15" and 7" handguards. I'm ordering the SSK 12 next and will run it with Keymod panels instead. The panels help with grip and heat protection.

My 7" build
http://i.imgur.com/EG1Kc20.jpg

anothergunnut
11-17-2013, 5:55 PM
I always see PSA offering "premium" uppers. What is the difference between a standard PSA upper and a premium upper?

dtrump
11-17-2013, 7:30 PM
its a good upper. to the person who commented about ptac... none of this is ptac. but yes get a good bcg and charging handle... no you don't need a bcm gunfighter although they are nice. your good to go. people love these handguards. I considered one but I ordered a 20 inch upper from them with their slim quad rail.. the 15 inch one. but I think you will be happy with this. I will be surprised if their black Friday deals are much better. and the stock will be hard to get that day things will fly out of stock. they do on a normal day so black Friday will be even crazier. I considered waiting but the deal I got was too good to pass and I didn't want to chance getting stuck with nothing on black friday

dtrump
11-17-2013, 7:31 PM
I always see PSA offering "premium" uppers. What is the difference between a standard PSA upper and a premium upper?
i believe the premium refers to the premium bcg they sell and also the cold hammer forged barrel from FN as opposed to a normal one. i could be wrong though.

Mossy Man
11-17-2013, 7:35 PM
If i am not mistaken:

Normal CMV = 4140
Premium = 4150
CHF = Cold Hammer Forged Machinegun Steel

ItsDoug420
11-18-2013, 12:43 PM
Premium = chrome lined FN barrel

falconman515
12-24-2014, 12:03 AM
Bumping this thread since it's asking what I want to know as well.

Thinking about ordering this upper when they come in stock ... Any updates from owners out there on this bad boy? The price is amazing and a perfect start to a new build as well.

Thanks

MrPlink
12-24-2014, 2:38 AM
Bumping this for what?

You want to know if one of the most prolific small arms builders of the free world makes good barrels?
The barrels for the Scar, m16, m4, m249, m240, M2 etc etc all seem to be pretty good for the military. I'd wager one of their barrels would suit you fine as well.

The uppers themselves are put together as good as anything else.
I have a premium psa upper as well as much fancier stuff. The PSA is built just as well.

falconman515
12-24-2014, 7:32 AM
Bumping this for what?

The uppers themselves are put together as good as anything else.
I have a premium psa upper as well as much fancier stuff. The PSA is built just as well.

For exactly what you replied !!! :) ... There isn't Tons of replies here and I like to here more updated info on this upper and barrel etc. ... just good to know if the quality is still there and what users thoughts are after using this for some time. Accuracy, quality of build, does it eat most all ammo, etc. etc. etc. and in the end how happy are you with this?

So Ya .... just wanting to see if anyone else out there has this upper and barrel combo as well and what thoughts they have on it that haven't already replied here and if so what are the updated impressions a year later.

That's All !!! :D

glock17_1986
12-24-2014, 8:41 AM
I have this upper and honestly love it. Its exactly what i wanted and the wife got it for me last xmas. Its very nice and has a good weight to it. I have been meaning to see how it handles steel ammo but havebt had a chance. I love MI stuff, the panels are great, my only complaint is the panels arent aggressive in texture but its and awesome upper. Make sure you get the goodies with the upper if you get it.

I didnt get them and havent gotten any email from psa when i asked. Hopefully i can call them today and ask them about it. Although its been a year but i had no idea i was supposed to get the parts with the upper and barely found out like 3 months ago.

falconman515
12-24-2014, 9:38 AM
Ya I saw that they sometimes forget to sent the 3 panels and loctite with these uppers .. I will be sure to get that ... plus I'm gonna order from I a couple side panel sets for better grip and a 4.5" rail for my Magpul AFG2 foregrip.

Glad to hear another users of this upper and barrel is happy .. I am just about sold on it when it comes back in stock but great to hear more testimonials before I make that purchase.

Click Boom
12-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Before you get too many panels, you may just like holding it naked. Grips = width. I like to put a ladder cover over the area that my front hand goes so that the thumb can go over if I feel like it... it's good to go.

drifts1
12-24-2014, 3:23 PM
I have that exact setup, well almost, I have the M4A1barrel profile. It's a great upper, eats everything I fees it. The slim handgaurd is one of its best features, I will NOT be attaching any afg, vfg, or panels. Run it naked!