PDA

View Full Version : Am I limited to purchasing 5 handguns per calendar year or every 12 months?

Jumbi
10-20-2013, 10:30 PM
Am I limited to purchasing 5 handguns per calendar year or every 12 months?

ptusa
10-20-2013, 10:33 PM

Neither.

Tincon
10-20-2013, 10:41 PM
You might be thinking of limits on selling. You can buy as many handguns as you want (or your spouse allows). Although of course you are limited to one from a dealer ever 30 days.

Jumbi
10-20-2013, 10:42 PM
Are there any limits on how many I can buy per year?

One per month new from dealers?
Can I buy 100 in a year if I wanted?? Don't want to just to test the theory...

What are the limits on selling?

Yes, the real limit, in my case is my spouse ;)

baz152
10-20-2013, 10:43 PM
You can purchase as many as you want in a day, month or year but you may only DROS and take possession of one per month unless you are exempt (i.e. a police officer).

Jumbi
10-20-2013, 10:45 PM
So I can only take possession of one every 12 months? Even if some are private party transfers?

Uglyd
10-20-2013, 10:45 PM

Hahaha, I hope not. I bought that many last month.

Uglyd
10-20-2013, 10:46 PM
You can purchase as many as you want in a day, month or year but you may only DROS and take possession of one per month unless you are exempt (i.e. a police officer).

And unless it is a private party transfer. The 1 in 30 is for dealer sales only.

Jumbi
10-20-2013, 10:47 PM
OK,

I was hoping I had received some bad info as someone told me it was 5 per year only, which was news to me. Good to hear it was entirely incorrect.

SonofWWIIDI
10-20-2013, 10:52 PM
So I can only take possession of one every 12 months? Even if some are private party transfers?

No.

From the DOJ FAQ page;
Is there a limit on the number of handguns that I can own or purchase?
There is no limit to the number of handguns that you may own but you are generally limited to purchasing no more than one handgun in any 30-day period. Handgun transactions related to law enforcement, private party transfers, returns to owners, and certain other specific circumstances are exempt from the one-handgun-per-30-day purchase limit.
(Emphasis added by me.)

(Pen. Code, 27535.)

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs

Google is your friend.
:)

Jumbi
10-20-2013, 10:55 PM
Thank you for all the fast and helpful replies!
I see I came to the right place.

BumBum
10-21-2013, 1:08 PM
I think the information was derived from Governor Brown's veto message to AB 169, where he refers to a limit of an individual only being able to sell up to 5 handguns per year.

http://gov.ca.gov/docs/AB_169_2013_Veto_Message.pdf

Ed_Hazard
10-21-2013, 1:11 PM
You can also get your 03 C&R FFL and a COE and be exempt from the 1 in 30 rule.

JDay
10-21-2013, 2:42 PM

Private party sales are exempt from the 1 per 30 day limit.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

glockman19
10-21-2013, 2:55 PM

Conceivably NO, Yes you can buy 100 in a year if you can afford it.

Private party sales are exempt from the 1 per 30 day limit.
Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

BINGO...!!!

in a year you could buy 88 handguns through PPT and 0ne every 30 days that require the wait.

fizux
10-22-2013, 6:35 AM
I second the C&R + CoE exemption suggestion.

Don't forget that anyone who owns 7 guns is now considered a potential terrorist. Thankfully, I won't get back down to 7 until my estate auction.

Stewdabaker23
10-22-2013, 6:44 AM
1 new handgun from a dealer every 30 days.

As many PPT transfers as you want.

marcusrn
10-25-2013, 9:24 PM
You might be thinking of limits on selling. You can buy as many handguns as you want (or your spouse allows). Although of course you are limited to one from a dealer ever 30 days.

Indeed as many private party transfers as your spouse allows.

Librarian
10-25-2013, 10:52 PM
1 new handgun from a dealer every 30 days.

As many PPT transfers as you want.

New/used is not relevant; dealers buy used guns for resale - purchasing such a used gun would still be directly from a dealer, and subject to 1-in-30. Similarly, a person might buy several copies of a handgun, keep them New-In-Box, and sell them PPT.

Count participants: if the seller is the FFL/dealer, and the only other party is the buyer, 1-in-30. 2 parties.

If the seller is not an FFL/dealer, and the buyer is not an FFL/dealer, and a dealer is involved anyway, usually a PPT. 3 parties.

JoshuaS
10-27-2013, 12:44 AM
Of note too is that you can sell more than 5 handguns a year. You can sell a hundred.

You are limited to 5 private party transfers in which you are the seller. But in any one transaction, you might sell the same guy any number of handguns.

Of course extremely large amounts might look suspicious on other levels if done frequently. But you can imagine a guy selling a collection

SemperFi1775
10-29-2013, 9:15 AM

there's no limit on buying handguns from private parties, and 1 in 30 days from dealers' stock for non ffl or exempted types.

there's a restriction for LA city and some other that limits any handgun purchase to 1 in 30, regardless of who's selling.

atf and local pd will also be notified if someone takes possession of more than 1 handgun in 7 days.

for selling, there's a limit of less than 6 handgun transactions a year for non licensed dealers. a transaction can have more than one handgun involved, i.e. private party sale to dealers, etc...

CAGLS
11-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Just wondering if I traded handguns with someone which requires me to dros the one I'm receiving, would that be considered one sale in the 5 handgun selling limit per year?

ajclines
11-13-2013, 8:53 PM
what about if you buy a handgun on consignment? would that fall under PPT?

taperxz
11-13-2013, 9:51 PM

No not if its from an FFL's place of business.

Sputnik
11-13-2013, 10:07 PM

Consignment does not count towards the 1 in 30 rule as the dealer is acting as a third party to facilitate the sale. The dealer is not selling you the gun, just acting as intermediary between the seller and the buyer.

pyro22
11-13-2013, 10:35 PM
Consignment does not count towards the 1 in 30 rule as the dealer is acting as a third party to facilitate the sale. The dealer is not selling you the gun, just acting as intermediary between the seller and the buyer.

Wrong a consignment sale is from the dealers stock, it is already logged into the bound book, and does not require any interaction between the buyer and seller. A PPT both parties MUST be present. And the firearm can not already be in the FFL inventory .

Sputnik
11-17-2013, 6:14 PM
Wrong a consignment sale is from the dealers stock, it is already logged into the bound book, and does not require any interaction between the buyer and seller. A PPT both parties MUST be present. And the firearm can not already be in the FFL inventory .

I didn't say it was a PPT. All I'm saying is that the purchase of a consignment handgun doesn't count toward the 1 handgun in 30 days rule. I've done it; a new gun from the dealer and a used gun on consignment both in the same 30 day period (at the same shop).

tonelar
11-17-2013, 7:40 PM

Consignment handgun sales are neither "new gun" nor ppt, however they don't count into the 1 in 30 rule (and are exempt from the roster as well), unless you're in LA.

SOAR79
11-21-2013, 5:39 PM
Hahaha, I hope not. I bought that many last month.

hilarious!!

SemperFi1775
11-21-2013, 8:36 PM
Just wondering if I traded handguns with someone which requires me to dros the one I'm receiving, would that be considered one sale in the 5 handgun selling limit per year?

yes, the handgun you transferred/traded will count as 1 transaction.

SemperFi1775
11-21-2013, 8:39 PM

all guns are logged, including ppt...

dealer can transfer a consignment handgun without seller being there, since seller already signed the dros worksheet ahead of time.

SemperFi1775
11-21-2013, 8:41 PM
Consignment handgun sales are neither "new gun" nor ppt, however they don't count into the 1 in 30 rule (and are exempt from the roster as well), unless you're in LA.

consignment transfers are done as ppt in the dros system...

taperxz
11-21-2013, 9:18 PM
consignment transfers are done as ppt in the dros system...

I don't think so.

CAGLS
11-21-2013, 9:51 PM
yes, the handgun you transferred/traded will count as 1 transaction.

I thought it was only for a new purchase. This was a private party transfer.

taperxz
11-21-2013, 9:53 PM

Doesn't have to be new, just has to be in the FFL's inventory.

CAGLS
11-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Doesn't have to be new, just has to be in the FFL's inventory.
Forgive me if I'm not understanding but aren't ppt transfers unlimited? It was not consignment. Me and another CG member showed up at an FFL to trade pistols, then we started the transfer for each. I'll refer back to the Doj faq quote on post #10.

taperxz
11-21-2013, 10:38 PM
Forgive me if I'm not understanding but aren't ppt transfers unlimited? It was not consignment. Me and another CG member showed up at an FFL to trade pistols, then we started the transfer for each. I'll refer back to the Doj faq quote on post #10.

PPT is just that. Its exempt from the 1 in 30

Consignment is an FFL transfer. Not exempt from a 1 in 30

CAGLS
11-21-2013, 10:39 PM
PPT is just that. Its exempt from the 1 in 30

Consignment is an FFL transfer. Not exempt from a 1 in 30

Oh good, sorry if I was unclear it was a ftf ppt.

SemperFi1775
11-22-2013, 12:03 PM

there's no such thing as a trade in the dros system for ppt... you are either a buyer or seller...

there's no limit on buying handguns from private parties in most of ca (except for la city and its neighborhoods https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/maps.latimes.com/static/img/mapping_la/mappingla.pdf)

for selling, there's a limit of less than 6 transactions a year for unlicensed sellers... this could be 1 handgun in 5 separate transactions, or multiple handguns in 5 transactions if selling to a licensed dealer...

check out this case for busted unlicensed cops selling more than 5 "unsafe" handguns a year:

http://www.justice.gov/usao/cae/news/docs/2012/06-01-12McGowenOrder%20Affadavit.pdf