PDA

View Full Version : Maryland House Judiciary Committee Holds Public Hearing on "Shall Issue" Legislation

Paladin
01-25-2008, 9:54 PM
No Action Taken on Maryland Right-to-Carry Reform Bill

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Please Continue Checking Your Email and www.NRAILA.org for Updates!

On Tuesday, January 22, the Maryland House Judiciary Committee held a public hearing on House Bill 2, legislation that would make Maryland a “shall-issue” Right-to-Carry state. No action was taken on HB2, only a discussion.

Sponsored by State Delegate Daniel Riley (D-34A), HB2 seeks to remove language from existing Maryland code requiring that the Secretary of State Police “find a person has good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun...”

NRA-ILA will continue to monitor this important legislation and alert NRA members in Maryland as to when to expect a vote in the House Judiciary Committee. Please check your email and www.NRAILA.org for updates on this bill.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=3395

My GUESS (wish?) is that in 2008 to '10, 3 or more of IO, DE, MD, RI and WI will go "Shall Issue." (WI depends upon how pro-RKBA people did in the legislature in '06 and will do in '08 since they'll have to override a guaranteed veto by Gov. Doyle.) My GUESS is that CA will be among the last battleground states (from W to E: HI, CA, IL, NY, NJ, and MA (and Wash DC)). The sooner the NRA tips over those first 5 states, the sooner and better equipped they'll be to take on the battleground states, incl CA.

(With John Lennon's Imagine playing in the background) Imagine an ALL RED AMERICA! Imagine the impact on that map (i.e., on the nation) if just CA went "Shall Issue." If that doesn't fire you up and motivate you to take action, nothing will.

http://www.nraila.org/images/rtcmaplg.jpg

hoffmang
01-25-2008, 9:57 PM
Please continue to be realistic about what can and can't get through the California Legislature. Right now most of the California counties are actually shall issue with easier qualification hurdles than most shall issue states.

Otherwise, excellent news around the US.

-Gene

Paladin
01-25-2008, 10:25 PM
Please continue to be realistic about what can and can't get through the California Legislature. Right now most of the California counties are actually shall issue with easier qualification hurdles than most shall issue states.

Otherwise, excellent news around the US.

-GeneYou should note I did NOT specify a time for introducing legislation in Sacto. Frankly, I'm expecting we will need to build up an army of "Shall Issue" activists over the next 4 to 6 years before we will be ready to even consider introducing legislation. Even that is sooner than I would prefer (given the size of the task), but I believe the political fallout of TBJ and other lawsuits will force our hand in roughly that time period. Thus, I try to motivate and encourage everyone to get fired up and intentionally build up our numbers so that when events force our hand, we will be ready. To do otherwise is to be negligent, IMO.

So, if you're going to be forced into a battle, I say you might as well be well prepared and enthusiastic! :D

Paladin
01-25-2008, 11:04 PM
You should note I did NOT specify a time for introducing legislation in Sacto. Frankly, I'm expecting we will need to build up an army of "Shall Issue" activists over the next 4 to 6 years before we will be ready to even consider introducing legislation. Even that is sooner than I would prefer (given the size of the task), but I believe the political fallout of TBJ and other lawsuits will force our hand in roughly that time period.My reasons for thinking a CCW fight in Sacto will be forced upon us can be found at: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=69879

Paladin
01-25-2008, 11:06 PM
To all: Be sure to post this info in the first posting of this thread on the various national forums you belong to so that Maryland residents who are not NRA members (or at least not get the NRA-ILA emails) might get on board and take their state to Shall Issue.