PDA

View Full Version : Trying to find the right rifle.

spamsucker
10-20-2013, 10:00 AM
Need to see if anyone can help find the perfect rifle for my needs. I'm looking for a factory rifle with a heavy barrel in 7mm rem mag or a ballistically very similar chambering. So far I'm not finding anything even produced that meets my needs. Am I stuck with a custom or semi-custom rifle?

I'm open to other chamberings but not that open. I want the flat shooting performance and high BC's of the 7mm and to be able to use the vast numbers of projectiles I have on hand. Some notes on that: IMO 7mm STW burns too much powder for performance achieved. I dislike .30 cal magnums in general and I'd like to stay away from .338 magnums due to projectile costs. I will be rolling and shooting hand loads only. I don't like barrel burners like 6.5-284 (yeah, 7mag isn't much better but it is better at that IMO)

Use case is exclusively for punching at steel mostly from 800-1000m with very infrequent forays out to 1 mile. Things like 7mm WSM are definitely great options.

Suggestions please.

TMB 1
10-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Remington Sendero. Buds Gun Shop.com list Sendero SF II 7mm Rem Mag for $1,123.00.

spamsucker
10-20-2013, 11:03 AM
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_57_981/products_id/97311/Remington+700+SENDERO+SF+II+7MM+REM+MAG That's just about perfect. I can't believe I missed it this morning when I was searching Bud's. Anyone got any other options? Anything not stainless?

robnletti
10-20-2013, 11:22 AM
I have one of these and I love mine. It's not as nice as the Sendero, but it's half the price and has Weatherby's Sub MOA guarantee. If you don't like synthetic stocks, you can always buy a wood stock later.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_136/products_id/73939/Weatherby+VANGUARD+S2+7MMREM

russ69
10-20-2013, 11:29 AM
7mms are so 1960s. How about a nice 6.5 Creedmore?

spamsucker
10-20-2013, 12:16 PM
6.5's are so 1894. Actually I'm a huge fan of 6.5mm but I don't know much about that particular chambering and we haven't even gotten to a rifle chambered in it that meets my needs.

6.5cm does have the long range trajectory I want but it's not exactly a common round and I'm not looking forward to trying to find 1000 rounds of brass for it. Besides, I have a heart thumping amount of 7mm projectiles on hand and a hell of a lot of 6mm but not a single 6.5mm.

I'll do a little more research on the creedmore and I'll take a minute to see what rifles are out there but so far I'm really leaning towards that sendero.

robn: The weatherby is nice but a heavy barrel is a definite requirement and that didn't have it.

I'm considering 26" barrels as a minimum for magnum cals and 24" as a minimum for short action non-magnums. I have a Savage 110 that's currently wearing a well used 7mm RM barrel and I could just re-barrel it with a 30" Lilja tube but I'd much rather have something with a smoother silkier action like a Remington 700 or Winchester M70 or anything from Browning, Tikka or Sako, Weatherby.

Hairball
10-20-2013, 1:27 PM
Here ya go...comes in 7mm

http://www.snipercentral.com/pm_sm.htm

russ69
10-20-2013, 1:31 PM
...we haven't even gotten to a rifle chambered in it that meets my needs.
http://ruger.com/products/m77MarkIITarget/specSheets/17980.html

not exactly a common round and I'm not looking forward to trying to find 1000 rounds of brass for it.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/528000/hornady-reloading-brass-65-creedmoor-box-of-50

X-NewYawker
10-20-2013, 1:42 PM
Weatherby Vanguard 7mm Rem Magnum. Get a Range Certified and guaranteed to shoot UNDER MOA. $1100

I shot one at their test range and it shot .75 for the first three shots I took.

http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/vanguard_2/rc

MAde by Howa -- the non-range certified ones are only $650 and guaranteed 1 MOA at 100 yards

robnletti
10-20-2013, 2:18 PM
robn: The weatherby is nice but a heavy barrel is a definite requirement and that didn't have it.

Sorry, I must have missed the heavy barrel requirement in your original post - must read slower:o

toby
10-20-2013, 3:50 PM
The right one is the one you have built, or if you choose Savage the one you build. Hands down.

LCpl Kutches
10-20-2013, 6:25 PM
7mm will wear out your barrel within 5000 rounds. From what I have been told, its not a great consistent shooter. But its a wonderful round.

spamsucker
10-21-2013, 1:56 PM
Here ya go...comes in 7mm

http://www.snipercentral.com/pm_sm.htm
Awesome! I hadn't ever seen them offered in 7mag. That's a strong contender if they aren't made of unobtanium. Short listed. I can't seem to find any indication of anyone carrying one but I suppose that's sorta a special order item anyway.

http://ruger.com/products/m77MarkIITarget/specSheets/17980.html

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/528000/hornady-reloading-brass-65-creedmoor-box-of-50
russ you quit that. first you make sense then you back it up. It's really annoying when other people (not me) are right and you keep doing it. Even the brass is available and pretty darned affordable.

The right one is the one you have built, or if you choose Savage the one you build. Hands down.
That brings the question, if I'm to have one built I ask myself why would I start with my Savage action when I'm looking for something altogether silkier. It's not that I'm against the idea but it's kinda the last option if the market doesn't actually make what I want, which so far there are 2 examples of in retail form with I'll grant substantial price differences.

7mm will wear out your barrel within 5000 rounds. From what I have been told, its not a great consistent shooter. But its a wonderful round.

I get pretty awesome performance as far as shot to shot consistency until heating starts to become an issue. I'd think 5K rounds would be optimistic.

The sendero I know I can get and that's a big selling point. The remington action also makes a whole world of aftermarket upgrades a simple reality as well.

So, can anyone beat the sendero for performance+price+features?

Gts408
10-21-2013, 3:14 PM
I was looking for a rifle in a 7mm rem mag too. The two rifles I look up was the savage "long range hunter 11/111" or a remington sendero sf. I went with the savage because it came with a muzzle brake that I was looking for. It had everything decent trigger, bed stock, muzzle brake. It was cheaper than the sendero, and got a lot of good reviews, so that is why I choose the savage. I used the money that I save on better glass for it. I haven't got the chance to take it to the range, haven't had time. My next choice would of been a rifle in 6.5CM but I wanted something with a little more power, that wasn't a 300wm. But if I had money to spend I would have went full custom.

russ69
10-21-2013, 10:09 PM
...russ you quit that. first you make sense then you back it up. It's really annoying when other people (not me) are right and you keep doing it. Even the brass is available and pretty darned affordable.

The 6.5 Creedmore will fly rings around the 7mm mag. The Ruger is ready to shoot right out of the box. Ruger has improved their product over the years. It would be a very good rifle until you are ready for a custom rifle.

ar15barrels
10-21-2013, 10:12 PM
7mm will wear out your barrel within 5000 rounds.

7mm magnum will wear out a barrel in about 1000 rounds.

ar15barrels
10-21-2013, 10:14 PM
I'm not looking forward to trying to find 1000 rounds of brass for it.

You only need about 200 pieces of brass to wear out a 7mm magnum barrel.
By the time you have 5-6 reloads on the brass, the brass AND the barrel will be worn out...

ar15barrels
10-21-2013, 10:19 PM
The 6.5 Creedmore will fly rings around the 7mm mag.

The 7mag will certainly hit harder on target if the primary goal is killing things with a pulse.
If it's just paper and steel, then the extra energy only helps for spotting impacts beyond 1000yds.

After about 10 rounds fired in a single range session, the 6.5 creedmoor shooter will still be rested and on-game while the 7mm magnum shooter will be getting fatigued by recoil...

TMB 1
10-21-2013, 10:42 PM
7mm magnum will wear out a barrel in about 1000 rounds.

You must be getting barrel really hot to do that?

ar15barrels
10-21-2013, 10:45 PM

I consider a barrel "worn out" when it won't shoot better than 3/4moa groups.
I typically shoot 40-60 rounds a day, once or twice a month.

A typical hunter shoots 10-20 rounds per YEAR so you don't really hear about short barrel life because they last 50 years at that usage level.
It's target shooters who wear out barrels the fastest...

spamsucker
10-22-2013, 1:26 PM
You only need about 200 pieces of brass to wear out a 7mm magnum barrel.
By the time you have 5-6 reloads on the brass, the brass AND the barrel will be worn out...
When I go for a shooting session I can easily burn 500 rounds of 7mag. I'm not a stranger to having to replace a worn out tube, it's annoying and expensive though. Those 500 round sessions with a magnum rifle last a week or more and happen about once a year. Hand loading 500 rounds one at a time to my standards is very time consuming and I have other guns to load for so it's best to have ~500 sitting ready to go and another ~500 in various states of preparation. I have other 7mag's to feed as well but those mostly eat 3-4 rounds a year at best.

The 7mag will certainly hit harder on target if the primary goal is killing things with a pulse.
If it's just paper and steel, then the extra energy only helps for spotting impacts beyond 1000yds.

After about 10 rounds fired in a single range session, the 6.5 creedmoor shooter will still be rested and on-game while the 7mm magnum shooter will be getting fatigued by recoil...
If you're trying to help russ out convincing me you're doing a fine job. Adding another chambering to the safe is the only downside on that for my purposes. I have rifles for things made of meat, this is just for steel and paper and just for >500yrds and <1500yrds.

My experience is about 1500-2000 rounds before I really have to replace a 7mag barrel on my target gun. And no it's not getting really hot. My strings are limited by barrel temperature. It affects POI really badly when they get too hot so I don't get them too hot. With my target rifle I shoot at a slow pace all day (about 75-100 rounds). When it gets hot then I take a break and pull the bolt and let it cool. My loads burn a lot of pretty slow powder in a smallish diameter tube and I don't spare the whip which equals unavoidable and relatively fast barrel wear.

I'll look into 6.5cm a little more. It's growing on me as an option.

russ69
10-22-2013, 3:45 PM
When I go for a shooting session I can easily burn 500 rounds of 7mag...

Holy crap. You are an iron man. 500 rounds? Geeze, what the hell? Do you have a friggin' 7mm mini gun or something? At a regional match I'm just trying to get off 80 good shots and I'm worn out after that. Your barrel would be worn out after three or four range trips?
I can't even imagine the powder and bullets you go through. You need a 22-250 with a fast twist so you can shoot the big 90 grain pills. You would save enough on powder and bullets to pay for the new barrels! Holy jumping Jehoshaphat.

hambam105
10-29-2013, 1:18 AM
Need to see if anyone can help find the perfect rifle for my needs.
Until you find this ultimate rifle might I suggest a ordinary Mosin Nagant in the mean time?