PDA

View Full Version : With Thompson out, Tom McClintock leans to Ron Paul

tombinghamthegreat
01-25-2008, 7:11 PM
http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/washington/2008/01/with-fred-thomp.html

With Thompson out, Tom McClintock leans to Ron Paul
With Fred Thompson out of the presidential race, who's a self-respecting conservative to go for? Could it be, maybe, perhaps, a certain Republican-libertarian from Texas?

That's one question perplexing California state Sen. Tom McClintock, possibly the second-most-famous California Republican currently in office after Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger.

McClintock created a stir two months when he endorsed Thompson’s presidential candidacy. Having run for governor, lieutenant governor and state controller, McClintock has shown that while he has not won a statewide contest, he can win GOP primaries, which conservatives tend to dominate. So heading into the Feb. 5 primary, McClintock’s endorsement is seen as important in California.

Now McClintock is mulling his choices. And it comes down to the basics: "Who will respect our Constitution, defend our borders, and reduce the burdens of government on our people?" McClintock said Thursday in Sacramento as the Senate wrapped up its week. "If I were to vote today, I probably would be casting a vote for Ron Paul. I’m not voting today."

Why Paul?

"I do believe he will respect our Constitu-" McClintock said, then stopped midthought. "I don’t want to go too far. I am still looking."

Why not former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney? "I want somebody with a consistent record," McClintock said. "I want someone who didn’t have to go through a political epiphany the day before he announced his candidacy."

-- Dan Morain

Contact Tom McClintock tell him to support Ron Paul.
http://republican.sen.ca.gov/web/mcclintock/

scootergmc
01-25-2008, 9:34 PM
I called Tom and told him to run.

AKman
01-25-2008, 9:39 PM
Its looking like the election is boiling down to the same old choice. Do I shoot my left foot or my right foot. I thought the last two elections were a choice between two pathetic losers. They look pretty good by comparison. Hillbillary, Osama Obama, Pretty Boy Edwards, McPain, Huckaloogie, Romulan, Gigalo-iani? I've met bums on freeway off-ramps that could do a better job.

I like Ron Paul and have even donated $$$ to his campaign (something I have always refused to do). The system is rigged and the media won't even mention his name. I just don't think he has a chance.

SemiAutoSam
01-25-2008, 9:57 PM
I found this at Senator McClintock web page that the OP linked to.

If anyone should have become the governor when Davis was shown the door it was this man.
He really sounds like a protector of our liberties and that's a rare trait in California.

Have a read here
http://republican.sen.ca.gov/web/mcclintock/article_detail.asp?PID=189

retired
01-25-2008, 10:15 PM
I voted for McClintock for Gov. and for Lt. Gov. this last time and I'm more of a moderate conservative if such a thing can exist. I didn't agree with one or two of his views IIRC, but overall, I thought he was the right person. Arnold has proven I was correct IMO.

And I'm one of those dastardly decline to state people the Repubs won't let vote in the primary this time.

AKman
01-25-2008, 10:27 PM
+1 on McClintock. Unfortunately its hard to compete with the Terminator in a state full of morons.

ghettoshecky
01-25-2008, 11:44 PM
To this day I always said Ahnold was a carpetbagger... I really think McClintock should've won

tombinghamthegreat
01-26-2008, 12:36 AM
To this day I always said Ahnold was a carpetbagger... I really think McClintock should've won

Me too but i was too young to vote then. Maybe he may run again, he's got my vote. Also i have emailed McClintock several times about gun bills and about my legal trouble when my family defend themselves from an attacker with firearms. He personally responsed to the emails. May not sound like a lot but it ment a lot when the rest of the legal system was either iqnoring us or threat us with pressing firearm charges.I t was an empty threat DA made when my dad called them incompendent and threaten to make them look bad in the papers for using a minor(me a while back when i was 11) in a case.

here is a qoute that i have on myspace and facebook.
“The right is absolute … government has no authority to forbid me from owning a firearm … the debate is not about guns. It is about freedom.” - Cal. State Sen. Tom McClintock, 6/9/2001

FreedomIsNotFree
01-26-2008, 1:52 AM
McClintock is a statesmen...one of the few we have left in government.

Ford8N
01-26-2008, 5:16 AM
I like McClintock and voted for him too. But he will never win state wide because he keeps on harping about abortion. That is a deal killer in this state.

Soldier415
01-26-2008, 7:48 AM
I have met and talked with McClintock extensively and as some have said aboe, he truly is one of the last statesmen. Not to mention the man is a fiscal GENIUS and consistenly fights (and wins) to put more money back into the pockets of those that earn it here in this State.

Remember how those exhorbitant vehicle license fees went away a while back?

Thank Tom McClintock for that.

Charliegone
01-26-2008, 2:38 PM
I have met and talked with McClintock extensively and as some have said aboe, he truly is one of the last statesmen. Not to mention the man is a fiscal GENIUS and consistenly fights (and wins) to put more money back into the pockets of those that earn it here in this State.

Remember how those exhorbitant vehicle license fees went away a while back?

Thank Tom McClintock for that.

Too bad some people in this state do not realize that, BLAME the Republicans!:rolleyes:

Knauga
01-26-2008, 3:54 PM
I like McClintock and voted for him too. But he will never win state wide because he keeps on harping about abortion. That is a deal killer in this state.

Tom was very good about dealing with the abortion issue during his run last time, he said that basically the wording to Roe V Wade is part of the California constitution and while he's opposed to abortion, it isn't something he can change. Of course the other candidates dumped on him about his "extreme views".

I'd vote for Tom faster than I'd vote for Fred and I was all for Fred.

G17GUY
01-26-2008, 5:35 PM
I'd vote for Tom faster than I'd vote for Fred and I was all for Fred.

:chris:Welcome to the team!

mblat
01-26-2008, 9:14 PM
That is exactly why McClintock never won and will never win any major office in CA.

just4fun63
01-27-2008, 4:14 PM
McClintock is a statesmen...one of the few we have left in government.

I sure wish we had him now not the Governator what a RINO

SchooBaka
01-27-2008, 5:30 PM
I voted for McClintock when gray was ousted. It's too bad there were so many starstruck voters out there.
It's good to hear he's backing Paul.

tombinghamthegreat
01-27-2008, 6:09 PM
I voted for McClintock when gray was ousted. It's too bad there were so many starstruck voters out there.
It's good to hear he's backing Paul.

Do you think he will make a offical statement with RP at his side after the republican debates in Simi Valley this wednesday?

SchooBaka
01-28-2008, 4:02 PM
That would sure be nice.
I guess it would depend on if he's got the time to travel to socal for the debates.