PDA

View Full Version : Gerber fighting knife, 1978. Any owners?

9x19=£OVÄ
10-19-2013, 6:39 PM
It's a mk2 made in 1978, cuz of the numbers.

I don't know much about it but it is neat looking knife and the leather sheath is new looking. Been thinking of selling/trading for another fixed blade.

Any vet out there have any military use of this knife?

Are these any good as a functional knife?

ARKLITE881South
10-19-2013, 7:38 PM
Yes, i have one.

NaClAddict
10-19-2013, 9:30 PM
Great thrower.

thospb
10-19-2013, 10:03 PM
Actually, a poor throwing knife. The blades are very hard and will break. The upside, Gerber has a great warranty. I have one, about the same vintage. Still has the original edge.

TKM
10-19-2013, 10:05 PM
Cast aluminum handle. Looks good, works bad.

The blade will crack out if you apply too much pressure. Sure surprised me back in 82.

Kammunition
10-19-2013, 10:25 PM
Hey 9x19 that Gerber knife you got is a mark 2 as far as the knife for military use it has seen plenty of use....as an issued knife not so much this knife was more of a second choice had a lot of competition with the ka-bar knife both were excepted for military use much like your tops knives company or Ontario knives company today. Your knives market today would be around 250 and up as a knife to use today I doubt It. there are other cheaper better knives out there this one just holds collector value I hope info helps

9x19=£OVÄ
10-19-2013, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the help.

roll2li
10-20-2013, 12:12 AM
Military use is stabbing. Can slash too, but that's probably not what the serrations are for. See Spyderco Civilian if you want a slasher. Length is good for reaching vital organs and key blood vessel junctions. Based off the Fairbain Sykes style fighting knives. Not good for general utility like the Ka-bar, so a lot less popular.

Other variations I've seen in use are the S/W HRTs daggers and CRKT Hissatsu. Basically a variation of a "get off me knife", e.g. close contact/rolling on ground your primary is pushed down out of the way so you can't muzzle thump or draw your secondary; grab the knife and go for the junction at the neck behind the collar bone, or sideways up through the ribs. Kick the enemy off you and return fire.

thospb
10-20-2013, 9:44 AM
The serrations are a different shape than most and are intended for cutting parachute shroud lines. They grab the shield of para cord tear it so the blade can cut through. Pretty effective.

Kurgan
10-20-2013, 9:55 AM
I have a couple of old Gerber "fighting" knives. One of these and a Mark 1 as well. Really nothing more than a novelty item IMHO. I will take my Randall #12 with a #14 grind for any serious work. If you want to end a knife fight, use a Bowie.

I do have a couple of old Gerber folders. The ones made in Oregon and made of brass with inlaid wood. I like them for camp knives and for small game and fish.

Blademan21
10-20-2013, 9:53 PM
I have a couple of old Gerber "fighting" knives. One of these and a Mark 1 as well. Really nothing more than a novelty item IMHO. I will take my Randall #12 with a #14 grind for any serious work. If you want to end a knife fight, use a Bowie.

I do have a couple of old Gerber folders. The ones made in Oregon and made of brass with inlaid wood. I like them for camp knives and for small game and fish.

Randall over the Gerber always. The Gerber Mk II berfore 1975 are what the collectors look for the most. The MK II's are junk and will not hold up to serious work. I once picked up 4 Gerber MKII blades and handles at a knife show for cheap. The blades had about a 3" tang the went into the handle. I mixed some 20 minute epoxy,dipped the blaes into the epoxy and inserted the blades into the handles. Pristo,I had 4 new Gerber MK II's. IMHO,a MK II from 1978 is not worth $250 to a collector.

GW
10-20-2013, 10:36 PM
Randall vs Gerber is an unfair comparison.
Find a Randall at that Gerber's price point. That Gerber is essentially a killing knife NOT a utility knife. Most of the Randall knife designs are field/utility knives.
Is the Randall a better knife?
IMHO Absolutely but not everyone can afford a Randall or are willing to wait 3 years for one.
Gerber is a mass-production knife company while Randall is a handmade custom shop.

And yes, I own one of those olde Mk II Gerbers along with a Mk I and a Mark I Command

I also own several Randalls as well;)
o

Brujo
10-21-2013, 2:00 PM
One on Ebay right now for less than $15

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gerber-Mark-I-vintage-knife-/231077294209

Ninask
10-21-2013, 3:49 PM
The Gerber Mk II (original) is a top of the line combat dagger, for what it is intended for it is one of the best designs, the serrations are first rate, this was a very popular knife among military personel
N

usmcspud
10-21-2013, 5:56 PM
I have an early 70's. Good for stickin'. Had Gerber etch my name and rank on it. Brittle steel.
Will never part w it.

9x19=£OVÄ
10-21-2013, 7:39 PM
One on Ebay right now for less than $15

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gerber-Mark-I-vintage-knife-/231077294209

Wrong knife brujo

Kurgan
10-23-2013, 4:22 AM
Randall vs Gerber is an unfair comparison.
Find a Randall at that Gerber's price point. That Gerber is essentially a killing knife NOT a utility knife. Most of the Randall knife designs are field/utility knives.
Is the Randall a better knife?
IMHO Absolutely but not everyone can afford a Randall or are willing to wait 3 years for one.
Gerber is a mass-production knife company while Randall is a handmade custom shop.

And yes, I own one of those olde Mk II Gerbers along with a Mk I and a Mark I Command

I also own several Randalls as well;)
oA proper Randall Bowie isn't a utility knife and daggers are only good if you intend to kill men wearing antique armor.

Expensive? Yes.

What is your life worth?

ronrichards64
10-23-2013, 5:04 AM
I have the 1982 black knife with black leather , never used just part of a collection. have the fancy wood MK11 , never used . My Randall #1 was a 4 1/2 years wait.

Blademan21
10-23-2013, 2:59 PM
I have the 1982 black knife with black leather , never used just part of a collection. have the fancy wood MK11 , never used . My Randall #1 was a 4 1/2 years wait.

Just a FYI..I bought a Randall Mod.16 Special Fighter and a Model 8 Bird&Trout form Randall dealer Tom Clinton. Waited a whole 3 days to get them. Tom passed some years ago,he was a great person to deal with. For your next Randall try a Randall dealer. Chances are if its not in their inventory they can get it in about 3-6 months.
Years ago I lucked out and found a Mod. 14 in stock at a mall in Orange County. I think it was the Brea Mall's knife shop. There was a couple buying cheap steak knives in the shop. The look on their face when I dropped $325 on the counter for the Randall was :eek: It was a bargain at that price.
It went to a USMC friend of mine. He in turn on his return from the sandbox passed it to his brother on his deployment. Its been in the field for about 8 years and going strong.

Blademan21
10-23-2013, 3:01 PM
A proper Randall Bowie isn't a utility knife and daggers are only good if you intend to kill men wearing antique armor.

Expensive? Yes.

What is your life worth?

Very well spoken.

CAL.BAR
10-23-2013, 3:14 PM
Have one as well. Remember kids, DO NOT CARRY IT in CA - it is a "dirk or dagger" and thus a felony.

Librarian
10-23-2013, 4:12 PM
Have one as well. Remember kids, DO NOT CARRY IT in CA - it is a "dirk or dagger" and thus a felony.

Do not carry it CONCEALED; open carry is usually fine (but there are local issues - see the knife laws sticky in this forum).

That's exactly why I quit carrying mine in my GHB - in the bag, at the time, was also 'concealed'.

GW
10-24-2013, 12:01 AM
A proper Randall Bowie isn't a utility knife and daggers are only good if you intend to kill men wearing antique armor.

Expensive? Yes.

What is your life worth?

If you are talking about the #12's you are right. I am talking about a #1 or #14 which are far more utilitarian.

jigenax
10-24-2013, 12:21 AM
I picked up a few Gerbers in the 80's. Thought they were awesome until I took one to a BFX in Camp Pen. Tip snapped off, blade got bent and more than once I had to borrow a KaBar from my squad mates. After that experience, my Gerbers became my letter openers.

Kurgan
10-24-2013, 4:56 AM
If you are talking about the #12's you are right. I am talking about a #1 or #14 which are far more utilitarian.I have a #14 with Border Patrol handle. It's still a serviceable fighting knife.

But my real SHTF knife is a #12 with a #14 grind. An off catalog item.

dls
10-24-2013, 6:42 AM
If I remember correctly, I think I paid around $80 new for mine in the early 80s, And I still have it along with my first Buck 110.

They now hang on the safe door with the more modern Benchmarks, Spyderco, SOG...

wjc
10-24-2013, 9:32 PM
I think I still have mine but the blade got damaged when I put it through a counter top.

Not something I'd use for general purpose use....

Ninask
11-23-2013, 9:09 AM
Its an excellent superior combat design
with an eye toward dagger technique,
excellent high quality material (originals), great balance, good looking shyte:)
I don't know where some of these posts come from
This knife was in demand in Vietnam

Blademan21
11-23-2013, 5:27 PM
Its an excellent superior combat design
with an eye toward dagger technique,
excellent high quality material (originals), great balance, good looking shyte:)
I don't know where some of these posts come from
This knife was in demand in Vietnam

Your praise of the Gerber Mark II is outdated. Yes it was popular during the Vietnam war. Mostly because it was new to the knife market,looked cool, so every young troop that thought he needed one scooped one up.
Yet is was not that well made. It had a tang of about 2 inched into the handle. Most troopers very soon found out that they were better off with a
(1) Camillus "demo knife".
(2) Ontario Air Force Survival Knife
(3) An M9 baynot
Popular in Vietnam but not so now.
Want some Vietnam knife history,Google CISO-SF-SOG knives. I know Conrad Ben Baker of CISO fame. Those were fighting knives :oji: