PDA

View Full Version : What About Body Armour?

gordoe
01-25-2008, 3:53 PM
IS IT LEGAL FOR CLEAN-RECORD, LAW ABIDDING CITIZEN TO OWN AND WEAR BODY ARMOR? I HEARD SOMEWHERE THAT IT IS, UNLESS YOU GET SEARCHED OR PATTED DOWN BY A LEO? IS THIS TRUE? IS IT LEGAL AT ALL OR JUST RESTRICTED TO LEOS AND OTHER GOVT. OFFICIALS?

Surfdog
01-25-2008, 3:58 PM
I belive it is totally legal.

Only becomes illegal if used while committing a crime.

I'm only 90% sure about this.

krby
01-25-2008, 4:01 PM
The Penal Code on this subject (specifcally PC 12370) http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/dwcl/12360.php

As long as you are not a felon and you are not in the process of committing a crime, you may possess body armor.

Soldier415
01-25-2008, 4:02 PM
IS IT LEGAL FOR CLEAN-RECORD, LAW ABIDDING CITIZEN TO OWN AND WEAR BODY ARMOR? I HEARD SOMEWHERE THAT IT IS, UNLESS YOU GET SEARCHED OR PATTED DOWN BY A LEO? IS THIS TRUE? IS IT LEGAL AT ALL OR JUST RESTRICTED TO LEOS AND OTHER GOVT. OFFICIALS?

The only thing Illegal is caps lock ;)

Patriot
01-25-2008, 4:04 PM
Is your Caps Lock key broken?

12370. (a) Any person who has been convicted of a violent felony,
as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 667.5, under the laws of the
United States, the State of California, or any other state,
government, or country, who purchases, owns, or possesses body armor,
as defined by Section 942 of Title 11 of the California Code of
Regulations, except as authorized under subdivision (b), is guilty of
a felony, punishable by imprisonment in a state prison for 16
months, or two or three years.

Federal law (http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/search/display.html?terms=body%20armor&url=/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000931----000-.html)

Librarian
01-25-2008, 4:05 PM
Sheesh, multi dupes...

California Penal Code12370. (a) Any person who has been convicted of a violent felony,
as defined in subdivision (c) of Section 667.5, under the laws of the
United States, the State of California, or any other state,
government, or country, who purchases, owns, or possesses body armor,
as defined by Section 942 of Title 11 of the California Code of
Regulations, except as authorized under subdivision (b), is guilty of
a felony, punishable by imprisonment in a state prison for 16
months, or two or three years.

That reflects Federal law - 18 USC 931 931. Prohibition on purchase, ownership, or possession of body armor by violent felons

(a) In General.— Except as provided in subsection (b), it shall be unlawful for a person to purchase, own, or possess body armor, if that person has been convicted of a felony that is—
(1) a crime of violence (as defined in section 16); or
(2) an offense under State law that would constitute a crime of violence under paragraph (1) if it occurred within the special maritime and territorial jurisdiction of the United States.

If you can own a gun, you can own and wear body armor.

I rather expect that would freak out TSA at an airport; since their regs seem to be sooper-seekrit I think I'd just try to avoid that issue.

Someplace I seem to recall seeing something about committing crimes while wearing the stuff, but I can't find it just now.

bwiese
01-25-2008, 4:06 PM
The OP may be responding to the fear-mongering by vest sellers at gunshows, who continually post that their vests "...will soon be illegal" and show a picture of DiFi.

pnkssbtz
01-25-2008, 5:02 PM
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7752/capslockor6.jpg

natedogg1777
01-25-2008, 5:13 PM
I may be mistaken, but I am under the impression that when wearing body armor, "comitting a crime" refers not just to felonies and misdimeanors, but also to infractions...in other words getting a speeding ticket while wearing body armor means insta-felony. Am I correct?

Soldier415
01-25-2008, 5:14 PM
I may be mistaken, but I am under the impression that when wearing body armor, "comitting a crime" refers not just to felonies and misdimeanors, but also to infractions...in other words getting a speeding ticket while wearing body armor means insta-felony. Am I correct?

Driving whilst wearing body armor?

Are you by chance the SGT of a 3 man rapid response tactical team at one of America's largest indoor retail areas?

:shuriken:

grammaton76
01-25-2008, 5:19 PM
Driving whilst wearing body armor?

Or, he could be going to an indoor range and not want to have to explain to all the morons that yes it's real, no I'm not wearing airsoft crap, yes it's legal, no I'm not a cop, no you don't have to be one to own it, yes I wear it because of splashbacks and/or idiots, yes I know it won't matter if it hits my head, etc.

Good concealable body armor, button-up shirt, no one needs to know. But the catch there is that you need to put it on some time, and the most convenient time is at home before you leave for the range.

KDOFisch
01-25-2008, 5:35 PM
Any time I hit an indoor range I wear a Type-II. No one's ever even noticed I'm wearing it under my shirt, and it's a good safeguard in the case of the occasional flier. At an outdoor range I don't ever really wear it.

Bulletproofme.com is a good resource- BUT BUT BUT- It's SO important to get properly fitted for a vest. One that's too loose can reduce its efficacy substantially. A $400 dollar item can really save your life, as accidents do happen.

DesertGunner
01-25-2008, 6:33 PM
Bulletproofme.com is a good resource- BUT BUT BUT- It's SO important to get properly fitted for a vest. One that's too loose can reduce its efficacy substantially. A $400 dollar item can really save your life, as accidents do happen.

Ditto - unless you get properly fitted you are in for some trouble. It is going to be REALLY uncomfortable to wear. Mine sucks while sitting down or driving, and it WAS professionally fitted by a company rep.

C.G.
01-25-2008, 8:12 PM

No. :)

tombinghamthegreat
01-25-2008, 8:18 PM
Buy body armor. Money is a little tight so i have to postpone buying it.

M. Sage
01-25-2008, 11:06 PM
The OP may be responding to the fear-mongering by vest sellers at gunshows, who continually post that their vests "...will soon be illegal" and show a picture of DiFi.

I hate sellers who use scare tactics...

They should ban pix of DiFi from being used as a marketing tool just for that reason. ;)