PDA

View Full Version : Marlin 30/30

MISFIRE
10-18-2013, 5:58 PM
I live in the Bay Area, S.J. and I am looking for a 336 help anyone.
Bill

Hairball
10-18-2013, 6:19 PM
You looking for new or used. Any local shop should be able to order you one if they don't have one on the rack. If the local shop tells you they can't get one, go on gun broker or another site and have one shipped to your local ffl.

LRShooter
10-18-2013, 10:03 PM
I'd search the For Sale section here or check some of the local stores for a used one.

I picked up a 1981 336 about a couple years ago that's nicer than anything I've seen made in the last 5 years.

Jester3
10-18-2013, 10:44 PM
I'd search the For Sale section here or check some of the local stores for a used one.

I picked up a 1981 336 about a couple years ago that's nicer than anything I've seen made in the last 5 years.

Yes, if you can, buy an older one! My 1979's action is smooth and even all the way. Furniture is tight to the iron, and sights are true.
From what I have heard and seen of the newer Remlin's none of the above applies, from action to fitting.
Shame you can't rent the older iron at the gun ranges to try for yourself, but you should check your local gun stores for newer models and maybe any consignments. Good luck, you'll enjoy working a lever!

44fred
10-19-2013, 8:27 AM
Misfire
Do yourself a favor and join the Marlin Owners forum. There is a great group of guys that will help with your decision. First, you want a genuine Marlin. Remington bought Marlin a few years ago and moved production. They are still having quality control issues producing their lever guns. The MO forum will tell you that as well. Join and do a search.

Hairball
10-19-2013, 4:08 PM
I just purchased one today from my LGS. It was made in 1966 and it looks like it has never been fired. Not a mark on it with no loss of color even on the muzzle. I paid 399 for it but I don't see them in this shape very often so I jumped on it.

44fred
10-21-2013, 8:42 AM
I just purchased one today from my LGS. It was made in 1966 and it looks like it has never been fired. Not a mark on it with no loss of color even on the muzzle. I paid 399 for it but I don't see them in this shape very often so I jumped on it.

Hairball
Great find! Pictures please.

Hairball
10-21-2013, 8:44 AM
Once my 10 day wait is over (next Tue.) I will get it home.

44fred
10-24-2013, 7:58 AM
I bought a beater 336 a couple years ago on gun broker for a truck gun. It was carried a lot but the bore was spotless. The wood needed some help so it became a project. Once you strip off that cheap finish and do a little sanding, you'll find some incredible wood hiding under neath. Several coats of Tru Oil and mineral spirits (50/50) and it's just beautiful. The bluing still needs help but I'm going to leave that alone.

mofugly13
10-24-2013, 9:44 AM
If you can make it up to San Mateo, go to Krausewerke Collectibles and see if Mike Krause has something for you. I would bet he does. He has a shop full of all kinds of used firearms and military collectibles. He's also great to deal with. If he doesn't have what you're looking for, you'll be glad you checked out his shop anyway.

SMarquez
10-24-2013, 10:24 AM
I bought a beater 336 a couple years ago on gun broker for a truck gun. It was carried a lot but the bore was spotless. The wood needed some help so it became a project. Once you strip off that cheap finish and do a little sanding, you'll find some incredible wood hiding under neath. Several coats of Tru Oil and mineral spirits (50/50) and it's just beautiful. The bluing still needs help but I'm going to leave that alone.
I bought a beater 20+ years ago too. Metal needs help and the wood is birch but it is slick and has a really nice trigger. It wears a Redfield peep sight and is really coo shooting it.

Bastard
10-24-2013, 10:28 AM
I think that I saw one at Imbert & Smithers not that long ago or would try SJ gun exchange