PDA

View Full Version : Here we go - Anti-gunner eBay CEO Meg Whitman looking at run for Governor

nhanson
01-25-2008, 8:24 AM
She's looking for a republican 2010 ticket.....watch out. After curtailing legal activity on eBay, what do you think she would do as Governor?

"EBay's retiring chief may run for California governor
Andrew Gombert / EPA
EBay president and CEO Meg Whitman arrives at the Allen and Company media and Technology Conference, Sun Valley, Idaho, July 13, 2007 in this file photo.
Meg Whitman, who raised funds for Romney, has been asking key Republicans about the possibilities, sources say.
By Joe Mathews, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
January 25, 2008
As she prepares to depart from EBay after a decade at the helm, Chief Executive Meg Whitman appears to be investigating a new career -- in politics.

Whitman has talked with top Republicans about the possibility of a run for California governor in 2010, according to three operatives who have had discussions with her. Whitman is said to be asking detailed questions about the logistics of a run and the effect she could have as governor, according to the sources, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to reveal the conversations".....there is more see link

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-whitman25jan25,1,1240638.story?ctrack=1&cset=true

SemiAutoSam
01-25-2008, 8:28 AM
Here are a few lists of others that also want the job.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California_gubernatorial_election,_2010

Potential candidates

Democratic Party
Phil Angelides - Former California State Treasurer
Debra Bowen - California Secretary of State
Barbara Boxer - U.S. Senator
Jerry Brown[1] - Attorney General of California, former Governor
John Garamendi - Lieutenant Governor of California
Gavin Newsom - Mayor of San Francisco
Jack O'Connell[2] - California State Superintendent of Public Instruction
Loretta Sanchez[3] - U.S. Representative, 47th District
Steve Westly - Founding executive at eBay and director of Tesla Motors, Former California State Controller
Antonio Villaraigosa - Mayor of Los Angeles

Republican Party
Tom Campbell[4][5] - Former U.S. Representative
Jeff Denham - State Senator, 12th District
Bonnie Garcia - Assemblywoman, 80th District
Duncan Hunter - U.S. Representative, 52nd District
Tom McClintock - State Senator, 19th District
Steve Poizner - California Insurance Commissioner
Bill Simon - past candidate for Governor of California, 2002
Darrell Issa - U.S. Representative, 49th District
Condoleezza Rice[6]- U.S. Secretary of State.

CCWFacts
01-25-2008, 8:45 AM
I would not read the ebay policies as predictors of what her legislative agenda would be. The CEO doesn't set those policies; they are guided by lawyers, insurance companies, etc. There is a whole long list of legal things which can't be traded on ebay.

I'm not saying she's pro-gun, but don't read her as being a Brady campaign spokeswoman based only on ebay's policies.

mecam
01-25-2008, 8:47 AM
Where's Larry Flynt on the list? I'd vote for him.:King:

nhanson
01-25-2008, 8:54 AM
I would not read the ebay policies as predictors of what her legislative agenda would be. The CEO doesn't set those policies; they are guided by lawyers, insurance companies, etc. There is a whole long list of legal things which can't be traded on ebay.

I'm not saying she's pro-gun, but don't read her as being a Brady campaign spokeswoman based only on ebay's policies.

CEO's tend to drive the folks you mention and not be entirely driven by them. Part of the ego that comes along with CEOs. Basically, CEO philosophy is backed up by the legal crowd in any corporation.

Enjoy

Steyr_223
01-25-2008, 9:46 AM
Tom McClintock for Gov!!

dfletcher
01-25-2008, 10:13 AM

I watched her last week on a CNN interview - really, a 2 hr story on EBay & its operation - and the subject of handgun sales (as in real handguns, not parts) on EBay came up and EBay's decision to not allow them pretty much from the start. The question was framed as "EBay decided against handgun sales and that ticked people off" what do you have to say about that?

Her response was they had to make a "responsible decision" but were aware that banning handgun sales could be perceived as part of "the slippery slope" of greater restrictions, she just didn't see it that way. No handgun sales didn't mean future restrictions on other gun items. This was a position she supported.

This interview was filmed before VT and we've seen the result on EBay - bans on mags, barrels and pretty much anything that helps a gun go "bang". So unless someone has specific info to the contrary, such as she's a lifelong NRA member and fought like hell against EBay restrictions, I'd presume she's just another "reasonable" CA Republican like Arnold, willing to deal away our rights.

Isn't past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior? And if she can't prevail at EBay, how's she going to win a gun fight in Sacramento?

hawk1
01-25-2008, 10:20 AM

Come on, you really don't believe that do you? CEO's surround themselves with like minded people to carry out their ideals...

If she was pro-gun and an underling brought the idea to her to ban firearms and or parts in their auction business that guy would be looking for a new job. Not just for the idea, but for the concept on how to throw away business...

petey
01-25-2008, 1:59 PM
Ebay has always been in a precarious state from a legal point of view. Every state has different rules on who can sell items like firearms, real estate, tickets to sporting or entertainment events, etc.

The sad fact is that there are attorney generals, district attorneys, and judges at the local, state, and federal levels who want to make a name for themselves. One way to do this is to go after well known companies and entities. If a judge is convinced that Ebay MIGHT be doing something illegal, or MIGHT be helping someone to do something illegal, the judge can issue an injunction, and force Ebay to shut down during the course of the investigation.

Ebay, like any other company, is in the business of making money. They have some of the best attorneys in the world on staff, who advise the CEO and other company officials of the potential risks of selling certain items. Company officials then weigh the amount of money that could be made vs. the amount of money that could be lost.

I used to work in the legal dept. at Ebay, and can tell you that the decision to ban firearms was not motivated by politics, or personal beliefs. It was a business decision to protect the company.

CCWFacts
01-25-2008, 2:17 PM
It was a business decision to protect the company.

That was what I thought. Remember the lawsuits against manufacturers? They were based on absurd legal theories. They had no chance of winning. But the manufacturers were truly scared. Remember after the "DC sniper" case, Bushmaster got sued, and settled, even though there was no legal case against them? Ebay must have been thinking about those kinds of things, and said, "we make $300,000 per year on firearm transactions, but we could have a $300,000,000 lawsuit from them. Not worth it!"

CALI-gula
01-25-2008, 8:23 PM
Say what?

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortune/fortune_archive/2004/10/18/8188091/index.htm

"Her free-market philosophy goes only so far, though. Sometimes Whitman has had to play censor of items traded on the site. "We crossed the Rubicon in 1999," she says. That's when she decided to ban firearms, alcohol, and tobacco. She also outlawed murder memorabilia less than a century old. (You can sell Lizzie Borden's ax but not Jeffrey Dahmer's refrigerator on eBay.) Trading one's virginity is not permitted, but selling a simple lunch date is. A lunch with Warren Buffett recently went for $202,000, prompting Buffett to remark to Whitman, "It's always interesting to see what your market value is in real time."

She struggled most over her decision to ban Nazi memorabilia. Three years ago Starbucks chairman Howard Schultz, an eBay director at the time, returned from a trip to Auschwitz and passionately urged Whitman to take Nazi items off the site. The debate inside the company was intense. As some execs and board members clung to eBay's libertarian ethos, Whitman recalls, "I finally said, 'Okay, I know, but I can't stand this.' " She banned all Nazi items except documents, coins, and copies of historical books like Mein Kampf. "This decision doesn't yield to analysis," she says. "It's a judgment call. There has to be one person making the decision, and it's the CEO."

Again... Say what?

She might be greatly confused: donates to a large number of Republican orgnaizations... AND Boxer, Mike Honda, John Kerry, and George Bush:

http://www.newsmeat.com/ceo_political_donations/Meg_Whitman.php

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://pages.ebay.com/aboutebay/thecompany/1999/february.html

SAN JOSE, Calif. Feb. 19, 1999 – eBayTM (NASDAQ: EBAY; www.eBay.com (http://www.ebay.com/)), the world’s leading person-to-person online trading community, today announced that it is ending user listings of all firearms and ammunition on the site. The decision was based on the determination that the Internet is not an appropriate venue for this kind of merchandise. Effective March 5, 1999, firearms will not be listed in any categories, including the "Firearms," "Antique," "Collectibles," and "Sport" categories.

"While we acknowledge the gun collectors and sports enthusiasts among our users, eBay takes its role as a responsible member of the online community very seriously," said Steve Westly, vice president of marketing and business development at eBay. "After careful consideration of the issue, we believe the process of buying and selling firearms online is sufficiently different from the offline world, and it is appropriate for us to end the user listing of firearms on eBay."

Westly added that online sellers cannot readily guarantee that buyers meet all the qualifications and comply with the laws governing firearm sales. eBay had previously raised the possibility of instituting changes to the Firearms category. After having investigated a variety of methods to ensure public safety without eliminating the firearms category, eBay concluded that, in consideration of current technology and laws, no alternative met eBay’s standards.

"We realize that the sale of firearms is a controversial issue, and our stance will spark support as well as criticism," continued Westly. "We are also sensitive to the effect that this policy may have on serious gun collectors. After thorough evaluation, we have decided to end all user listings of firearms and ammunition on eBay in the interests of our site, our users and the offline community."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

July 30, 2007 | 10:00AM PST/PT
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gif
http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/commdev/ABMattH.jpg Matt Halprin
Hello everyone…In mid-August, we will be updating our Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy to place more restrictions around gun-related items. Once these changes take effect, we will prohibit listings of any firearm part that is required for the firing of a gun. This includes items like bullet tips, brass casings and shells, barrels, slides, cylinders, magazines, firing pins, trigger assemblies, etc. Please read the Firearms, Weapons and Knives Policy (http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/firearms-weapons-knives.html) for more details on our current policy.

As you may know, eBay does not allow the listing of any items which are regulated by individual states or the federal government; however, there are still a large number of firearm-related parts that are legal and are widely available in retail stores. These items have also historically been allowed on eBay.

After learning that some items purchased on eBay may have been used in the tragedy at Virginia Tech in April 2007, we felt that revisiting our policies was not only necessary, but the right thing to do. After much consideration, the Trust & Safety policy team – along with our executive leaders at eBay Inc. – have made the decision to further restrict more of these items than federal and state regulations require.

This new update continues to encourage safety among our community members and brings our policies in the U.S. and Canada in closer alignment with our existing policies in other markets around the globe.

Sincerely,
Matt Halprin
Vice President, Trust & Safety

50 Freak
01-25-2008, 8:35 PM
Originally Posted by CCWFacts

I worked at the firm that represented eBay during the time of change of allowing guns to not allowing guns. It wasn't a decision by the lawyers or the law firm. They may have suggested it as a way to reduce liability. But ultimately it's the CEO and Board that makes the decision.

I do however remember fondly the days eBay allowed firearms. That was awesome. You could find practically anything. Gunbroker and others have slowly caught up, but the problem with their sites is they are pretty much 90% dealers hawking the same overpriced stuff. Not many are individuals cleaning out "Grandpa's old gun safe".

retired
01-25-2008, 10:21 PM
From the list posted of those who "want" the Gov.'s job, I'm already leaning toward Duncan Hunter; especially since I was for him for president, and McClintock. We'll see what happens.

M. Sage
01-25-2008, 10:56 PM
I don't know.... It doesn't seem much like a real Republican has a chance in this state, only RINOs like the Guvernator and this lady...

Then again, the Republican presidential field is pretty RINO-heavy this time 'round. I think we're in a lot of trouble here, people...