PDA

View Full Version : true meaning of the 2nd amendment

jamesob
01-24-2008, 9:51 PM
i was reading the 2nd amendment, and i just couldn't figure out why some people think that it give the states the right to bear arms. nowhere in the 2nd does it mention the state government. here is the real definition of the word state, i looked it up.
1. A condition or mode of being, as with regard to circumstances
2. A condition of being in a stage or form, as of structure, growth, or development
3. A mental or emotional condition
4. Informal A condition of excitement or distress.
5. Physics The condition of a physical system with regard to phase, form, composition, or structure
6. Social position or rank
and it also mention state as in government , but it is mentioned as states of the union.
now if you replace state with the words in the first definition or the second doesn't it seem real clear what it really means. i don't know if this has been brought up before but i just had to vent a little.

Piper
01-24-2008, 10:17 PM
Most of the politicians are lawyers and lawyers are notorious for spinning in their favor. Why should the constitution be any different? After all, it's just a piece of paper.:rolleyes:

adamsreeftank
01-25-2008, 12:46 AM
At the time the constitution was written, I believe a free state was interpreted to mean a free nation.

aileron
01-25-2008, 5:21 AM
At the time the constitution was written, I believe a free state was interpreted to mean a free nation.

That is correct, it is a form of art, often used at the time to mean country, nation, state, collection of people.