PDA

View Full Version : Spartan Precision 6.5cm *Loaner*

Vu 308
10-17-2013, 9:58 AM
Ill start shooting once I get a rifle built.
or I wish I can try it out without spending thousands of dollars.
or I want to build a rifle but have no idea where to start.

Most of us in this sport have all heard one or all of these statements at one time or another. Lets face it; getting started in the tactical precision rifle game isnt easy as some of the other shooting sports out there. It can be hardware intensive, technical, and just expensive.

With the support from some very generous sponsors, NCPPRC will now be able to allow new shooters to try things out before making the plunge into the Tactical/Practical Long Range shooting sport.

Marc Soulie of Spartan Precision Rifles donated rifle #18 of 25 from the 2012 Snipers Hide Rife build. Being chambered in 6.5cm, new shooters will not get beat up behind the rifle, and in the wind as much. The rifle is well balanced and handles very well for shooters big and small, men or women.

The specs on the rifle are as follows:

Chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor
Manner T6A Stock w/full adjustments
Custom Marked Bighorn Tactical Action (short action)
20MOA Base
Bartlein Barrel in a Light Varmint Contour
Surgeon DBM (AICS Magazines)
Timney Trigger

What is a great rifle without good glass? Vortex Optics took care of that part by donating a Vortex Razor HD 5-20 EBR-3 scope with rings, and all the goodies. The EBR3 reticle is an effective and is easy to use for new shooters. They also get started off on the right foot with a mil/mil based system.

To truly make this a turnkey package, Mike Cecil with CSTactical donated a Harris 6-9 Bipod w/ KMW Pod-Loc, Redman rear bag, TAB Sling, American Defense bipod adaptor, and a AICS 10 round magazine.

How will this program work? Simple.

A person that would like to shoot one of our LR Practice sessions on the first Saturday of the month @ Sacramento Valley Shooting Center can contact our club at info@ncpprc.com to reserve the rifle. This will be on a first come, first serve basis starting in January 2014.

The only thing a shooter will have to pay for is the ammo they shoot. Cost is 25.00 per 20 rounds of Hornady 140gn AMAX 6.5cm. If the shooter has their own Hornady 140gn Amax ammo, no problem, but it has to be factory Hornady ammo.

****You must be 18 years old or older, and can legally possess a firearm*****

One of our club members will be assigned to help the new shooter out, and get them squared away once they are on the firing line. Drop data and help will be provided from 200yards to 1000yards.

Many thanks to our generous sponsors for their donation and continued efforts in growing our sport. Without their help, none of this would have been possible.

Marc Soulie Spartan Precision Rifles
http://www.spartanrifles.com/

Vortex Optics
http://www.vortexoptics.com/

Mike Cecil CS Tactical
http://cstactical.com/

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/NCPPRCPHOTOS/DSC01828.jpg (http://s920.photobucket.com/user/NCPPRCPHOTOS/media/DSC01828.jpg.html)

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/NCPPRCPHOTOS/DSC01826.jpg (http://s920.photobucket.com/user/NCPPRCPHOTOS/media/DSC01826.jpg.html)

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/NCPPRCPHOTOS/DSC01820.jpg (http://s920.photobucket.com/user/NCPPRCPHOTOS/media/DSC01820.jpg.html)

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/NCPPRCPHOTOS/DSC01813.jpg (http://s920.photobucket.com/user/NCPPRCPHOTOS/media/DSC01813.jpg.html)

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/NCPPRCPHOTOS/DSC01812.jpg (http://s920.photobucket.com/user/NCPPRCPHOTOS/media/DSC01812.jpg.html)

Exodus343
10-17-2013, 10:46 AM
why can't you be in Los Angeles?!?!!

I'd be all over this!

PolishMike
10-17-2013, 10:48 AM
Awesome. Marc just built a 6.5 for me and I shot it for the first time yesterday. AWESOME rifle.

PS - Mike is cool too ;)

Cypriss32
10-17-2013, 11:03 AM
That's awesome!

Vu 308
10-17-2013, 3:18 PM

I'd be all over this!

It's only fuel. :D

mattt
10-17-2013, 11:56 PM
Great idea to get new shooters into the sport.

Wnick308
10-19-2013, 10:20 AM
Very nice rifle, that'll be a fun to shoot on practice days.

Sent 2700 feet per second.

shooterbill
10-19-2013, 4:12 PM
Great idea. Beautiful rifle.

postal
10-19-2013, 5:17 PM
But..... But..... But...... It's not a GAP!!!!!:26::26:

That's freekin awesome..... Great job all the donations getting that thing together to get people started in the sport!

Well done!

russ69
10-19-2013, 7:53 PM
Ill start shooting once I get a rifle built.
or I wish I can try it out without spending thousands of dollars.
or I want to build a rifle but have no idea where to start.

That's a great program and I hope you help get some new shooters started but the real problem with getting people started in competition is that very few people want to compete anymore. I'm not sure of the real underlying issue but a lot of kids have not grown up in competition and they are reluctant to do any sport where you have to use a skill set to win a prize or get a score. Pure competition is just not embraced by the younger generations. I hope I'm wrong but that seems to be the trend.

09cs
10-19-2013, 8:14 PM

I'd be all over this!

^That!

mattt
10-19-2013, 8:18 PM
Russ you are on to something.Once you compete and win it is something you crave to do again.Something in our dna caveman stuff .Winner lives to fight another day.:chris:

KillZone45
10-21-2013, 1:52 AM
Very nice! I too wish this was closer to SoCal.

Flintlock Tom
10-21-2013, 9:21 AM
Sounds like a wonderful program, but...6.5cm? I'm sure you meant 6.5mm.
Or, maybe you intentionally got it wrong to drag in the "Correction Nazis?"

Iloveguns
10-21-2013, 9:45 AM
Sounds like a wonderful program, but...6.5cm? I'm sure you meant 6.5mm.

6.5 Creedmoor

deadcoyote
10-21-2013, 9:51 AM
I wish it was really 6.5cm, that would be incredible.

postal
10-21-2013, 12:20 PM
That's a great program and I hope you help get some new shooters started but the real problem with getting people started in competition is that very few people want to compete anymore. I'm not sure of the real underlying issue but a lot of kids have not grown up in competition and they are reluctant to do any sport where you have to use a skill set to win a prize or get a score. Pure competition is just not embraced by the younger generations. I hope I'm wrong but that seems to be the trend.

And now almost all kids competitions, everyone gets a trophy... and they're all "winners"...

cabinetguy
10-21-2013, 12:47 PM
That sounds like an awesome asset to get people involved. Kudos to the sponsors that provided the rifle and parts.

Vu 308
10-22-2013, 7:32 AM
It is a 6.5 Creedmoor, or 6.5CM

Why not a 308win? Recoil of a 308win is a lil much for female shooters, and 308win match ammo cost more than 6.5CM.

Performance is way better in the wind with a 6.5CM than a 308win as well. This particular rig has free barrel jobs for life (NCPPRC supplies barrels), so it's no big deal on the shorter barrel life running the 6.5CM.

Postal, yes, it is not a GAP, but I am sure he would of taken care of us as well. George and GAP has always been good to our club as he has donated over $35,000 in rifles to our TBRC events over the years.

Vu 308
10-22-2013, 7:45 AM

Russ,

I agree to a certain extent. What we have noticed over the years is that most people want to compete, but are afraid for being "that guy, or gal" that screws up or finishes last.

NCPPRC has prided ourselves in helping new shooters get started over the years, and we do our best to get them started on the right foot. That being said, there has to be a want and drive on the newbies end too.

We have a fun group and I think most that have shot with us for a while will agree it's all about having fun. The competition is stiff out here and we do keep on pushing each other to get better and better each year.

To be fair to the younger generations, precision rifle competition is not a cheap sport. You have to have some disposal income to play the game. It is not like something like IDPA where you can go buy a 500.00 glock, a few hundred in accessories and go compete.

I think it would be safe to say that the average in our sport would be mid 30s to late 30s.

Even with the cost of things going up this year in components, and stuff being almost impossible to get, we have ran 620 competitors through our events in 2013, and still have 2 more matches left to go this year.

Vu

Vu 308
10-22-2013, 7:53 AM
I wish it was really 6.5cm, that would be incredible.

Wish granted bud...it's a 6.5CM.

Vu 308
10-22-2013, 7:55 AM
And now almost all kids competitions, everyone gets a trophy... and they're all "winners"...

Not with us. LOL.

There is no award for trying here, and only give out match winner awards for our monthly events. No 2nd, no 3rd, no I had a personal best trophies.

What you do get is a rash of crap for sucking if you are not new :D

Bhobbs
10-22-2013, 8:37 AM
Wish granted bud...it's a 6.5CM.

I think he means 6.5 centimeters, as a joke.

deadcoyote
10-22-2013, 9:35 AM
I think he means 6.5 centimeters, as a joke.

Yes, I was saying it would be entertaining if I got to shoot a rifle with a 6.5 centimeter bore.

Flintlock Tom
10-22-2013, 12:35 PM
6.5 Creedmoor

Ahh! Now I'm smarter than I was yesterday. Thank you.

russ69
10-22-2013, 4:01 PM
Russ,

I agree to a certain extent. What we have noticed over the years is that most people want to compete, but are afraid for being "that guy, or gal" that screws up or finishes last.

NCPPRC has prided ourselves in helping new shooters get started over the years, and we do our best to get them started on the right foot. That being said, there has to be a want and drive on the newbies end too.

We have a fun group and I think most that have shot with us for a while will agree it's all about having fun. The competition is stiff out here and we do keep on pushing each other to get better and better each year.

To be fair to the younger generations, precision rifle competition is not a cheap sport. You have to have some disposal income to play the game. It is not like something like IDPA where you can go buy a 500.00 glock, a few hundred in accessories and go compete.

I think it would be safe to say that the average in our sport would be mid 30s to late 30s.

Even with the cost of things going up this year in components, and stuff being almost impossible to get, we have ran 620 competitors through our events in 2013, and still have 2 more matches left to go this year.

Vu

I think you have a good grasp on it. We are seeing the same thing in highpower and motorsports. The cost is a major factor and the other is the wide number of other things to do nowadays. Back in the day, you shot bullseye or highpower, that was about it. The kids now have the computer games, and about a bazillion other sports to try. The shooting sports are not in the limelight.

Californio
10-22-2013, 4:30 PM
I use a 6.5CM hunting rifle for coastal deer,pig,yote, etc. It is a great round and shoots well, the no-lead that I have to use in a light carry package. One of these days I am going to spring for a precision rifle in 6.5CM.

snorky
10-22-2013, 6:46 PM
This is awesome. I've wanted to build a precision gun for a while now, but as has been mentioned above, it's not cheap.

I'd love to head up to Sac Valley to get behind that gun. Too bad January is so far away...

dskit
10-23-2013, 5:24 PM
;)One of our club members will be assigned to help the new shooter out, and get them squared away once they are on the firing line. Drop data and help will be provided from 200yards to 1000yards.

I think everyone is mising this gem - not only do you get to use a rifle, but some of the best shooters in in the county will be providing guidance.

Hardware is one thing, it's the software that's valuable.

But I heard somewhere that a 260 is way better than a creedmore.;)

ar15barrels
10-24-2013, 12:08 AM

Rabblerouser.

desert dog
10-24-2013, 11:09 AM
That is a dream build right there! I would have to wait a year just to get some of the components to build that right now!

I love the 6.5cm. And absolutely LOVE the 140gr Amax production ammo Hornady is putting out for a reasonable price. I can order it from Midway for less than a box of 308 match ammo!

Vu 308
10-24-2013, 11:43 AM

You dyam right it is, Team 260 (Jacob and I) have 6 wins so far this year. That is 1/3 of our monthly events my friend.

PS...did you get that bottle of Knob Creek for me yet?

:)

Vu 308
11-13-2013, 7:23 AM
Rounds 13-16 fired.
Ammo: Hornady 140gn AMAX 6.5CM

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/NCPPRCPHOTOS/20131111_161245.jpg (http://s920.photobucket.com/user/NCPPRCPHOTOS/media/20131111_161245.jpg.html)

http://i920.photobucket.com/albums/ad41/NCPPRCPHOTOS/20131111_161217.jpg (http://s920.photobucket.com/user/NCPPRCPHOTOS/media/20131111_161217.jpg.html)

D Miller
11-13-2013, 9:31 AM
That's awesome, I got to check out the rifle when I was up there in September. What a great way to get some one interested into precision shooting and show them the ropes.

We are trying to do something similar here for new shooters in Vegas. Have the rifle done, also a 6.5cm, but need glass and a bipod yet.

Vu 308
11-13-2013, 10:03 AM
Dane,

Give Mike Cecil a call, he might be able to help out with a project like that to help promote the sport out in Vegas.

Vu

mortimer1
11-29-2013, 7:06 PM
Can't wait till January!!

mortimer1
02-10-2014, 12:33 AM
Has anybody taken out this bad boy? I know Marc borrowed it and did very well with it but just curious if any rookies got to take it out and learn a thing or two?
Hopefully real soon I'll get a shot at it..

Brian

Vu 308
02-10-2014, 10:53 AM
We are getting spun up for it. Just has been a busy few months due to TBRC and LR Clinic reg.

Loaner has been scheduled the clinic in April and probably next months practice.

Vu

mortimer1
02-10-2014, 11:48 PM
Thank you sir!

We are getting spun up for it. Just has been a busy few months due to TBRC and LR Clinic reg.

Loaner has been scheduled the clinic in April and probably next months practice.

Vu

JMP
02-12-2014, 2:36 PM

Hogwash. They are very serious when it comes to video games.

Exodus343
02-27-2014, 9:56 AM
Agreed, it's hogwash
I have the passion and ambition to compete in my local matches
But no income to supplement my gear

Iloveguns
02-27-2014, 10:06 AM
Hogwash^^ What more do you need? You have a perfectly good setup to start shooting matches!!

Cypriss32
02-27-2014, 10:17 AM

This is just not true. I have A LOT of friends that own guns and enjoy shooting. Many would LOVE to be competitive. It really boils down to this: We (user 30) are getting killed in jobs, a lot of my friend got laid off and have to settle for part time work. It costs money to go shooting, 308 factory ammo is $30.00 for 20 rounds. Bullets powder and primers are tough to get unless you are a hawk or stocked up (I have plenty). As things in the job sector pick up, I bet more and more people get in different competitions. It really boils down to money....

Cypriss32
02-27-2014, 10:18 AM
Hogwash^^ What more do you need? You have a perfectly good setup to start shooting matches!!

Possibly no ammo? Maybe no powder, bullets or primers?

Exodus343
02-27-2014, 10:28 AM

too many wants lol :(

:hide:

dskit
02-27-2014, 10:30 AM
It costs at least $3-5,000 to dive into this sport and be competitive. When I was in my 20's, that just wasn't even a remote possibilty.

Yes, "kids these days" are being raised to suck out all thier competitive drive, but until they start administering testosterone limiting drugs, the drive will be in most men, in one form or another. Video games seems to be the primary outlet.

Exodus343
02-28-2014, 6:37 AM
I'd rather send bullets downrange screaming at 2500-2700 fps than "quickscope" someone in a video game lol

osis32
02-28-2014, 9:33 AM
will this be available for the april 13th clinic or just the 12th?