PDA

View Full Version : Question

Asset_USACA
01-24-2008, 6:38 PM
Quick question. A local LEO wants to sell me a Colt AR. There is no modifications that makes this AR cal legal. The rifle was obtained by letter from his department. So question is can I legally purchase as is and keep it that way, because it was purchased by letter and is already on record? Or there is no way I can purchase the assault rifle?

AngelDecoys
01-24-2008, 6:47 PM
If you're Law Enforcement, maybe. My guess is you're not LE as your asking the question. I don't have a clear answer for you (I'm not an OLL guy though I thought LE was exempt) however, even if it is legal for you to buy it, my guess is that the AW law could be enforced on you for having it regardless of how you acquired it.

Welcome to California!

If it were me, I'd go to the section on this forum on OLL's, find an FFL, purchase one, and build a compliant CA legal rifle.

You'll find some people on this forum spend hours sifting through information specifically OLL related becoming cyber experts. Someone else here will have a better answer. (Sorry, wish I had a better answer).

DrjonesUSA
01-24-2008, 6:52 PM
Quick question. A local LEO wants to sell me a Colt AR. There is no modifications that makes this AR cal legal. The rifle was obtained by letter from his department. So question is can I legally purchase as is and keep it that way, because it was purchased by letter and is already on record? Or there is no way I can purchase the assault rifle?

It is probably not legal and as such, you probably cannot purchase it.

There are very few Colts that are not on the list of banned-by-name "assault weapons". I put that term in quotes because there is no such thing as an "assault weapon" but I digress....

Check the list here: http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/infobuls/kaslist.pdf

If it does happen to be a Colt that is not on the list, it is legal to transfer provided it does not have a detachable mag. If it has a detachable mag it cannot have a pistol grip.

You see, pistol grips are responsible for the deaths of newborn human and seal babies, as well as countless puppies and kittens, so the state of CA, in all its wisdom and glory, took the bold and commendable move of ensuring these pistol grips do not harm any more cute, cuddly and fuzzy aminals.

Bow before your masters.

hawk1
01-24-2008, 7:22 PM
NO! Run fast, very fast. It's a trap...:eek:

http://catmas.com/images/2007/07/its-a-trap.jpg

ohsmily
01-24-2008, 7:53 PM
I don't have a clear answer for you however, even if it is legal for you to buy it, my guess is that the AW law could be enforced on you for having it regardless of how you acquired it.

HUH? I agree, you don't have a clear answer.

The issue is whether or not it is a listed by name receiver. There is only ONE off list Colt model and it is unlikely that this particular rifle is one of those. It is most likely a listed AW and thus, regardless of configuration, is considered an assault weapon in CA.

If the gun he wants to sell you is not on a listed receiver, then configure it so that it is legal under CA law, and then have him PPT it to you.

Ech0Sierra
01-24-2008, 7:55 PM
Don't take the bait.
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2007/03/its-a-trap.jpg

ohsmily
01-24-2008, 8:13 PM
i wonder if some of those colt that the leo's are buying are full auto recievers. i know some departments get m16s from the military and some departments allows their officers to buy their firearms when they retire.just a thought

Even if they are, you still need to put FA fire control components to get them to run. Doing so would be a nasty felony if you were to be caught.

USN CHIEF
01-24-2008, 8:16 PM
I guess we will be reading the post here tomorrow "SACRAMENTO MAN ARRESTED FOR BUYING AW FROM THE PO PO" :eek: :kest:

Asset_USACA
01-24-2008, 9:04 PM
LOL, yeah. Thanks for the help fellas. Was just curious.

MudCamper
01-24-2008, 10:30 PM
If it is a named assault weapon, then no. If it is not on any of the lists, then yes only if it is configured correctly.

See: http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.html but answer the first question NO for yourself.

SemiAutoSam
01-24-2008, 10:47 PM
This is the Colt that Smiley is talking about FYI.

http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j184/mag-lock/colt3nj.jpg

HUH? I agree, you don't have a clear answer.

The issue is whether or not it is a listed by name receiver. There is only ONE off list Colt model and it is unlikely that this particular rifle is one of those. It is most likely a listed AW and thus, regardless of configuration, is considered an assault weapon in CA.

If the gun he wants to sell you is not on a listed receiver, then configure it so that it is legal under CA law, and then have him PPT it to you.

Piper
01-24-2008, 11:24 PM

Short answer, no.

Long answer, if he wants to strip all of the parts off of it, sell those to you
and keep the lower receiver, I don't see a problem, so long as it isn't FA.

formerTexan
01-25-2008, 12:14 AM
A couple of "routes" you can go:
1. Become a LEO in a department that is know to be willing to do "letters" for acquiring AWs, like say, the CA DOJ (see Iggy's example :) )
2. Apply for a permit from the CA DOJ

3. Move out of California, join the military, buy the rifle from your LEO friend, and pray that you get assigned to a base in CA close to your current home. Then you can apply for a Military AW Permit that is pretty much "shall issue". You must become a resident of another state before you sign up though.

#1 probably has a greater chance of success than #2 though. I don't know of any "regular joes" getting an AW permit from the CA DOJ. #3, well, throws too much to "lady luck" to be workable. I threw it in for kicks :)

mk19
01-25-2008, 1:44 AM
Dont fall for the trap, run away as fast as you can, dont trust the popo. buy an OLL live happy life out of prison system :)

formerTexan
01-25-2008, 1:53 AM
Dont fall for the trap, run away as fast as you can, dont trust the popo. buy an OLL live happy life out of prison system :)

Yes, run away, but aren't some of you curious on what the guy's face at a gun shop would be when the said LEO and OP walk-in with the rifle and said, "hey, can you process a PPT for this rifle?" :43:

762cavalier
01-25-2008, 10:17 AM
"RUN FORREST, RUUUUUNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!

supersonic
02-12-2008, 5:01 PM
A couple of "routes" you can go:
1. Become a LEO in a department that is know to be willing to do "letters" for acquiring AWs, like say, the CA DOJ (see Iggy's example :) )
2. Apply for a permit from the CA DOJ

3. Move out of California, join the military, buy the rifle from your LEO friend, and pray that you get assigned to a base in CA close to your current home. Then you can apply for a Military AW Permit that is pretty much "shall issue". You must become a resident of another state before you sign up though.

#1 probably has a greater chance of success than #2 though. I don't know of any "regular joes" getting an AW permit from the CA DOJ. #3, well, throws too much to "lady luck" to be workable. I threw it in for kicks :)

You forgot the most obvious: move 1 or more states over, then walk into a gun shop that is a Colt dealer.:D

hawk1
02-12-2008, 5:26 PM
You forgot the most obvious: move 1 or more states over, then walk into a gun shop that is a Colt dealer.:D

Yep, and one better, go to a state that allows full auto and buy one of those! People are so beat down with Kalifornia firearms laws that they forget about the free states just next door.