PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to national CCW reciprocity bill?

Paladin
10-16-2013, 5:06 AM
Title pretty much says it all. I've heard about it for years now. How close did it get to being passed last session?

What do its odds look like for this session?

dustoff31
10-18-2013, 8:44 AM
Last session I believe it failed by only one vote.

This time around, the House passed the bill and sent it to the Senate, where Harry Reid allowed it lay in committee with no action.

Chances of it going anywhere? About the same as a fart in a windstorm.

SWalt
10-18-2013, 8:49 AM
Last session I believe it failed by only one vote.

This time around, the House passed the bill and sent it to the Senate, where Harry Reid allowed it lay in committee with no action.

Chances of it going anywhere? About the same as a fart in a windstorm.

Not to mention Obama actually signing it. No way no how after newtown.

M. D. Van Norman
10-18-2013, 2:57 PM
Which is ironic in the extreme. :(

wchutt
10-27-2013, 8:24 AM
Need to stoop and play the game, put it as a rider on a must sign bill.

Calzona
10-28-2013, 1:30 PM

This is why it is essential that a republican be the next POTUS. I have never been involved in the election process, with the exception of actually voting, but this time is going to be different.

This country might be able to handle another Democratic presidential term, but I don't think it can handle two. We're at the breaking point.

Our rights, our liberties, what it means to be American... All these things are going to change if we don't put an end to it now.

Every single person on this board should do everything they can to prevent another democratic president. THEN do 10% more. Without out this effort I fear the USA I grew up in will not be the same one my two-year old will grow up in.

ChrisC
10-28-2013, 2:15 PM
This is why it is essential that a republican be the next POTUS. I have never been involved in the election process, with the exception of actually voting, but this time is going to be different.

This country might be able to handle another Democratic presidential term, but I don't think it can handle two. We're at the breaking point.

Our rights, our liberties, what it means to be American... All these things are going to change if we don't put an end to it now.

Every single person on this board should do everything they can to prevent another democratic president. THEN do 10% more. Without out this effort I fear the USA I grew up in will not be the same one my two-year old will grow up in.

Let's take a look at the liberties and freedoms that were taken away by just the last republican president. Never mind going back into history, lets just stay current.

So you like how the last republican gave us the TSA and the Patriot Act just to name a few. Bush took away more of our freedoms then Obama has. So yeah, lets just vote by party and not by who would be the better candidate. That has never done us wrong before.:facepalm:

ccmc
10-29-2013, 8:44 AM
Let's take a look at the liberties and freedoms that were taken away by just the last republican president. Never mind going back into history, lets just stay current.

So you like how the last republican gave us the TSA and the Patriot Act just to name a few. Bush took away more of our freedoms then Obama has. So yeah, lets just vote by party and not by who would be the better candidate. That has never done us wrong before.:facepalm:

I'm pretty sure if Bush had been presented with a national reciprocity bill he would have signed it just like he signed shall issue into law while governor of Texas. That's the subject of this thread.

OTOH I haven't seen Obama getting rid of the Patriot Act (which was passed by overwhelming majorities in both houses of Congress IIRC) nor the TSA. Bush did let the federal AWB signed by Clinton expire.

ChrisC
10-29-2013, 10:03 AM
I'm pretty sure if Bush had been presented with a national reciprocity bill he would have signed it just like he signed shall issue into law while governor of Texas. That's the subject of this thread.

OTOH I haven't seen Obama getting rid of the Patriot Act (which was passed by overwhelming majorities in both houses of Congress IIRC) nor the TSA. Bush did let the federal AWB signed by Clinton expire.

Bush had stated that if an updated AWB came to his desk, that he would sign it. And you have no idea if Bush would have signed the national reciprocity bill, he did sign one allowing off duty officers to carry across the United States.

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/guncontrol/a/Civil-Liberties-Under-George-W-Bush.htm

Bush stated his support for the ban during the 2000 presidential campaign but stopped short of pledging to sign an extension.

As the 2004 expiration date neared, however, the Bush administration signaled its willingness to sign legislation that either extended the ban or made it permanent. “[Bush] supports reauthorization of the current law,” White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters in 2003, as debate over the gun ban began to heat up.

Bush’s position on the ban represented a break from the National Rifle Association, which had been one of his administration’s staunchest allies. But the September 2004 deadline for renewing the ban came and went without an extension making it to the president’s desk, as the Republican-led Congress declined to take up the matter. The result was criticism on Bush from both sides: the gun owners who felt betrayed and the gun ban proponents who felt he did not do enough to pressure Congress into passing the AWB extension.

“There are a lot of gun owners who worked hard to put President Bush into office, and there are a lot of gun owners who feel betrayed by him,” keepandbeararms.com publisher Angel Shamaya told the New York Times. “In a secret deal, [Bush] chose his powerful friends in the gun lobby over the police officers and families he promised to protect,” said U.S. Sen. John Kerry, Bush’s opponent in the looming 2004 presidential election.

--------------------

Your knowledge on Bush and his feelings toward guns is way off base. Look at what he said, then come back to me about how much of a gun advocate he really is.

NoJoke
10-29-2013, 3:49 PM

We have one very ODD president. What he says on camera and what he DOES off camera are almost polar opposites. What's the significance here? Most would assume he'd be anti-ccw yet he now desperately needs political backing. Could this actually get signed knowing his track record and political desperation?

...maybe???? :D

stag6.8
10-29-2013, 4:20 PM

correction...this is why we need a republican controlled SENATE...remember....the house passed it ...the democrat controlled SENATE are the ones who stopped the thune bill.

ccmc
10-30-2013, 10:33 AM
Bush had stated that if an updated AWB came to his desk, that he would sign it. And you have no idea if Bush would have signed the national reciprocity bill, he did sign one allowing off duty officers to carry across the United States.

http://civilliberty.about.com/od/guncontrol/a/Civil-Liberties-Under-George-W-Bush.htm

Bush stated his support for the ban during the 2000 presidential campaign but stopped short of pledging to sign an extension.

As the 2004 expiration date neared, however, the Bush administration signaled its willingness to sign legislation that either extended the ban or made it permanent. “[Bush] supports reauthorization of the current law,” White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters in 2003, as debate over the gun ban began to heat up.

Bush’s position on the ban represented a break from the National Rifle Association, which had been one of his administration’s staunchest allies. But the September 2004 deadline for renewing the ban came and went without an extension making it to the president’s desk, as the Republican-led Congress declined to take up the matter. The result was criticism on Bush from both sides: the gun owners who felt betrayed and the gun ban proponents who felt he did not do enough to pressure Congress into passing the AWB extension.

“There are a lot of gun owners who worked hard to put President Bush into office, and there are a lot of gun owners who feel betrayed by him,” keepandbeararms.com publisher Angel Shamaya told the New York Times. “In a secret deal, [Bush] chose his powerful friends in the gun lobby over the police officers and families he promised to protect,” said U.S. Sen. John Kerry, Bush’s opponent in the looming 2004 presidential election.

--------------------

Your knowledge on Bush and his feelings toward guns is way off base. Look at what he said, then come back to me about how much of a gun advocate he really is.

I think I'd still trust Bush over Obama when it comes to signing a national reciprocity bill. YMMV.

ChrisC
10-30-2013, 11:31 AM
I think I'd still trust Bush over Obama when it comes to signing a national reciprocity bill. YMMV.

Bush did sign a national reciprocity law, it allows off duty officers to carry concealed no matter what state they are in. So Bush had the chance but decided us common folk didn't deserve it. So trust Bush all you want.

mag360
10-31-2013, 7:00 PM
The awb also expired and was not renewed under bush. Their were no major anti gun pushes and the antis only made progress in california all 8 years.