PDA

View Full Version : Threaded Barrel on a Rim-fire rifle legal?

Justin1022
10-15-2013, 9:38 PM
Hey guys sorry if this is a stupid question, but I can't find the answer to it to save my life. I was just curious, is it legal to put a threaded barrel on my tactical 10-22 build? It DOES have an AR style grip if that changes anything. I don't necessarily have to have anything on it since it's illegal but is it legal to have just the barrel with the thread cover in case of a SHTF scenario? Thanks a lot in advance and again, my apologies if this is a stupid question.

ke6guj
10-15-2013, 9:43 PM
consult the flowchart, http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

Justin1022
10-15-2013, 10:05 PM
consult the flowchart, http://www.calguns.net/caawid/flowchart.pdf

It says AW laws do not apply to rim-fire rifles. Does that mean that a threaded barrel is legal on a rimfire rifle?

Justin1022
10-15-2013, 10:08 PM
My apologies for asking so many stupid questions

H2H
10-15-2013, 10:12 PM
they sell some versions with a flash hider so I think it's ok. regular stock though.

ke6guj
10-15-2013, 10:14 PM
It says AW laws do not apply to rim-fire rifles. Does that mean that a threaded barrel is legal on a rimfire rifle?threaded barrels are prohibited only where specifically listed. read the AW regs for yourself and you'll see when they are, and aren't, legal.

MajorSideburns
10-16-2013, 8:28 AM
threaded pistol barrels are illegal, threaded rifle barrels are legal. regardless of rimfire or centerfire or any caliber.

Spyder
10-16-2013, 2:52 PM
Flash hiders are out, if the rifle is a semi-auto centerfire rifle.
Only if it also accepts a detachable magazine. Fixed magazine semi-auto centerfire rifles are able to legally have a flash hider.

threaded pistol barrels are illegal, threaded rifle barrels are legal. regardless of rimfire or centerfire or any caliber.

Illegal to have on the handgun, yes in nearly all cases. Illegal to possess the simple barrel, not necessarily.

stix213
10-16-2013, 3:28 PM
To continue the off topic drift here, threaded barrels on detachable magazine pistols are a no no, but are fine on fixed magazine pistols.

Your little .22 rifle though is good to go with barrel threads.

CSACANNONEER
10-16-2013, 10:05 PM

Wrong. It's fine to have a threaded barrel on any handgun except for semi autos with detachable magazines. Just about every mag locked AK or AR pistol in CA legally has a flash hider on them.

Reelemup
10-16-2013, 10:10 PM
All my Dan Wesson revolvers have threads ....on both end.

fizux
10-16-2013, 10:27 PM
I just have to ask a personal question: What do you intend to attach to a 10/22 in the SHTF scenario? Do you think that a rimfire rifle is the appropriate tool in that scenario anyhow?
I imagine for many of the same reasons that led to the creation of the AR-7 "survival rifle" (except that a 10/22 doesn't float or stow easily in a cockpit).

Suppressors are in no way silent; the closest you can get are .22 bolt guns or something like a hushpuppy with an in-battery slide lock. A 10/22 with a SHTF homemade 1L soda bottle loaded with steel wool isn't going to sound like anything other than a .22 being fired from 100 yards away. I have yet to figure out why they are taboo in the PRK; quite honestly, I am surprised that California doesn't require suppressors at indoor ranges considering hearing protection / ADA / noise abatement.

vintagearms
10-16-2013, 11:16 PM
I just have to ask a personal question: What do you intend to attach to a 10/22 in the SHTF scenario? I understand if you don't want to talk about it, since the only borderline useful attachment for a rimfire rifle would be a home-brew silencer (for hunting small game, for survival if you run out of food), and even possession of a coke bottle, potato, or oil filter with intent of making it into a silencer is a federal felony.

Re-read what you wrote and tell me if that makes any sense......ok, Ill tell you. If it were a SHTF scenario then all bets would be off and you wouldn't be worrying about it being a federal felony. :p

fr33domfightr
10-23-2013, 12:36 PM
I imagine for many of the same reasons that led to the creation of the AR-7 "survival rifle" (except that a 10/22 doesn't float or stow easily in a cockpit).

Suppressors are in no way silent; the closest you can get are .22 bolt guns or something like a hushpuppy with an in-battery slide lock. A 10/22 with a SHTF homemade 1L soda bottle loaded with steel wool isn't going to sound like anything other than a .22 being fired from 100 yards away. I have yet to figure out why they are taboo in the PRK; quite honestly, I am surprised that California doesn't require suppressors at indoor ranges considering hearing protection / ADA / noise abatement.

It would seem the California Legislature wants to ensure guns make a loud noise, that can be heard from a distance. Surprised they haven't mandated making guns intentionally louder.

Regarding the noise pollution at indoor ranges: I suppose noise pollution at indoor ranges hasn't quite gotten the exposure that cigarette smoke has regarding air quality. You might think they'd be worried about employees long term hearing, just as they were for those working in restaurants that had smoking sections. I could guess that the legislature really doesn't care about your hearing, since you might be engaged in something they don't like anyway.