View Full Version : Shooting in the rain?

01-24-2008, 9:04 AM
Since I have a few goodies that I ordered at the Angeles range, I was thinking of taking the rifle and shooting a bit on Friday. Has anyone ever shot in the rain? How much does 100% humidity effect trajectory? And do they allow it?

If it is allowed, it may be good practice for the meet on Saturday since it is advertised as rain or shine.

01-24-2008, 9:22 AM
Humidity in and of itself doesn't affect trajectory all that much. You'll read about it in FM23-10, and the plaster book and such, that a 20% change in humidity will give about 1 minute of difference. Its flat wrong. In fact, I think plaster fixed that in the new revised version of his book. Play with humidity on JBM and see how much it really affects things. Unless you're shooting past 1k yards, don't bother with it.

01-24-2008, 12:17 PM
Just keep your ammo dry and follow up with a good cleaning / oiling. The rain will hurt the paper targets more than your new goodies.

01-24-2008, 12:25 PM
Keep those plastic bags from your dry cleaning or those plastic seat covers from when you take your car to the shop to cover the targets and have at it.

01-24-2008, 12:31 PM
If your job means you have to shoot, by all means go an shoot in all conditions. Think about the mud on you and your shoes while you walk out to hang your targets :eek:

01-24-2008, 1:34 PM
forget about the conditions. think about all that mud over the floor.

01-24-2008, 1:55 PM
If you do choose to shot in the rain, Keep your Ammo dry as well as your Chamber.

I wouldn't bother shooting paper, & more than likely ASR wont offer paper target/stands when it rains. Steel is good enough for me.

Besides that have fun........

01-24-2008, 1:59 PM
forget about the conditions. think about all that mud over the floor.

Wash yourself off in the rain :) Action.. i'm bringing a change of clothes..

01-24-2008, 2:07 PM
better off going prone in a black, plastic bag (poncho).

Vu 308
01-24-2008, 4:36 PM
After you do get done shooting in the rain you may want to take your action out of the stock and make sure you dry and lube everything back up.

If and when I have to shoot in wet weather I tear my rifle completely down after to make sure nothing gets rusty.

Oh and my dope out to 1K is effected very lil by rain. Temp and ASL is what changes your dope.

01-24-2008, 7:35 PM
Rain doesn't effect your poi much at all and certainly not at ranges under 600. Just make sure you take care of your gear afterward.