PDA

View Full Version : Marlin Lever guns QC

smokingboots
10-14-2013, 10:59 PM
Been awhile now since the whole fiasco with remlins and horrible QC so has anyone here bought one of the newer made Marlin lever actions (336 or 1895)? If so how was the quality control on it?

jeffrice6
10-15-2013, 12:00 AM
I had one of the worst examples of Marlingtons ever produced (ordered sight unseen) absolute crap! Remington sent me a completely new rifle that was every part the old Marlin. My advice, physically inspect any Marlington you wish to purchase.

Hairball
10-15-2013, 7:44 AM
I just picked up a new Marlin last week in 45-70 and the fit and finish is comparable to the other Marlins I have in the safe from the 70s and 80s. Lever action is smooth and cycles rounds excellent. I had put off purchasing a Marlin when they moved but I am happy with this one. I may even go back and order a new 30-30 before the end of the year just to have another one. I would order one and then look it over real good before you take it home.

saki302
10-15-2013, 11:58 AM
I picked up an 1895 on here awhile back- everything looks every bit as good as the old Marlins with one exception.

The screws are crap- I don't know what brittle pot metal they made them from, but they suck. Someone needs to sell a screw upgrade kit. Listening, Wild West Guns?

-Dave

smokingboots
10-15-2013, 2:36 PM
Well sounds like they improved on QC a little at least and that there are some decent made ones coming out thanks for the info guys.

smittty
10-15-2013, 10:09 PM
My recent inspection of a new 336 at Turners left me with a very bad impression. The action took literally two hands to work while supporting the gun between my legs. Absolute junk I thought to myself!

If there are reports of good ones that's great but based on what I saw it's too risky to buy sight unseen.

jeffrice6
10-16-2013, 12:20 AM
My recent inspection of a new 336 at Turners left me with a very bad impression. The action took literally two hands to work while supporting the gun between my legs. Absolute junk I thought to myself!

If there are reports of good ones that's great but based on what I saw it's too risky to buy sight unseen.

In no way pro Marlington, but as with anything, your own inspection is paramount. There are a few good ones out there, you just have to "dig through the weeds"

ivanimal
10-16-2013, 12:23 AM
My mechanic just got an 1895 in 45-70. I held it and it looks perfect. He shot it Sunday with no issues. He said it liked 350 grain hollowpoints at 100 yards YAY!

Deadwood Dick
10-24-2013, 6:53 AM
I bought a new Rem/Marlin 45-70 two years ago and am very happy with it

dfletcher
10-24-2013, 7:31 AM
I have older Marlins. The last time I looked at the newer versions was about 6 months ago and in my view quality was still poor. Lousy brown wood, not properly sealed. Poorly finished metal and uneven blue on the receiver. I think we should also consider that QC issues can run a little deeper than wood and finish. What is it we don't see that may be poorly executed? And if they can't get the screws right what about sear engagement or chamber alignment to the bore, and so on ....?

roll2li
10-24-2013, 7:45 AM
I had a newer made 1894 .357 (purchased in 2012) and it functioned very well with nice finishes. From the comments on the Marlin forums they tend to shy away from anything post takeover to about 2011.

I'm not going to wax all nostalgic about the older ones though, I have a 1953 39A with the one piece cartridge cutoff design and that rifle jammed everytime I used it. I had to get a spacer machined to keep rounds in the tube from jumping into the shell lifter but it's still not 100%.

Epaphroditus
10-24-2013, 1:48 PM
Are there serial number ranges that can indicate manf date?

nastyhabts26
10-24-2013, 2:43 PM
I bought the 1895 last year, I went into it with the expectation it would take some work to get it where I wanted it.
Total invested for the action job was $30.00 for a spring kit.
I did the smoothing of the action with help from the Marlin Forum.
It is now as smooth as silk with a great trigger.
Only other option I spent money on was a decelerator recoil pad.
Well worth the money