PDA

View Full Version : Possible CCW avenue?

Bishop
01-23-2008, 11:38 PM
Some Sheriffs don't approve CCWs for self-defense without a specific ongoing threat.

If one were gay, could one expect to be threatened by hate crimes on a regular basis?

If one were turned down and was later attacked, it could result in a nasty lawsuit.

Just thinking out loud. ;)

Bishop
01-23-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm just thinking of making CCW denial more politically incorrect, and reminding people what descressionary CCW approval has always been about; descrimination.

yellowfin
01-24-2008, 9:14 AM
Good thinking. What is needed is for such to be made public. There isn't much significant public pro CCW pressure. Right now it's completely under wraps and they can get away with it pretty much at will. Nobody is making a public villain out of anti CCW LEO's where clearly they should. Personally I think someone with a preference for letting someone die than defend themselves is nothing less than a sociopath at best and at most realistic an accomplice to murder.

Piper
01-24-2008, 9:23 AM
Make CCW a huge woman's issue and watch it take off.

Recently, I've been watching the news and PD's are having "Taser Parties", showing women how to use a taser and introducing designer tasers to women. But as everyone here knows, you have to get within 15 feet of the badguy to hit them with the darts as opposed to 25 yards or more with a bullet. Translate that into the amount of time it takes for a badguy to attack at 15 feet versus 25 yards along with physical ability of a woman to fend off an attack and you have a valid arguement for CCW.

Paladin
01-24-2008, 10:13 AM
Make CCW a huge woman's issue and watch it take off.

Recently, I've been watching the news and PD's are having "Taser Parties", showing women how to use a taser and introducing designer tasers to women. But as everyone here knows, you have to get within 15 feet of the badguy to hit them with the darts as opposed to 25 yards or more with a bullet. Translate that into the amount of time it takes for a badguy to attack at 15 feet versus 25 yards along with physical ability of a woman to fend off an attack and you have a valid arguement for CCW.Plus, how many shots do Tasers have, one? two? What does she do if she misses? What does she do if there are 2 or more BGs?

Piper
01-24-2008, 10:19 AM
Plus, how many shots do Tasers have, one? two? What does she do if she misses? What does she do if there are 2 or more BGs?

PRECISELY ! Like pepper spray in the 90's, tasers are just the latest way of diverting attention away from right to carry. Police know that they can't protect everyone from the badguys, but they refuse to OFFICIALLY condone CCW by citizens for self defense.

Rivers
01-24-2008, 11:11 AM
The "gay" argument would have far more weight in gay-hostile areas than in gay-friendly areas like SF and LA. Remember, the basic standard is determining what makes YOU a more likely victim than the population at large. If your argument is that you have a common element to a significant portion of the population in your area, that won't fly.

I'd like to see some breakdowns by race, showing the disparity between local demographics and the issuance of CCW permits. Then bring THAT up to the local politicians "of color" who do such a wonderful job of supporting their constituents' causes.

Use any legal means to document how the system is broken in order to replace it with a universally fair system.

Piper
01-24-2008, 11:23 AM
The "gay" argument would have far more weight in gay-hostile areas than in gay-friendly areas like SF and LA. Remember, the basic standard is determining what makes YOU a more likely victim than the population at large. If your argument is that you have a common element to a significant portion of the population in your area, that won't fly.

I'd like to see some breakdowns by race, showing the disparity between local demographics and the issuance of CCW permits. Then bring THAT up to the local politicians "of color" who do such a wonderful job of supporting their constituents' causes.

Use any legal means to document how the system is broken in order to replace it with a universally fair system.

IMO bringing it up as a woman's issue touches every corner of the debate. It hits the feminists who want to empower women, it hits the gay/lesbian community for obvious reasons, and it could get racial backing because we all have sisters, daughters, wives, mothers, aunts and grandmothers. Everything else is just a stones throw from being integrated later.

1911su16b870
01-24-2008, 12:26 PM
Make CCW a huge woman's issue and watch it take off...

A big +1 on that idea. Lets face it...Sam Colt can make all women equal :)