PDA

View Full Version : War Trophies......

sonofeugene
10-14-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm hoping I can get some current information here or at least a redirect to where I can find it......

I have three old handguns that I inherited from my father who was a WWII vet. Two of them he brought back with him from France and the third he purchased via mail order back in '48 when he lived in San Francisco. For the two he brought back from France, I have the original paper from the US Army stating that the two were legit war trophies. For the one he purchased, I have the original receipt and various telegrams discussing the price and condition of the weapon. In other words, I have more than enough documentation to prove provenence.

Here's my question: Is there anything I am required to do in order to keep and perhaps shoot these weapons?

Thanks much!

TRICKSTER
10-14-2013, 12:09 PM
See this thread.
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=594106

sonofeugene
10-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Thanks for that. So it would appear that I'd have to register them within 30 days of taking posession of them. However, my father died in 1979 and I just packed them up and put them away and have only recently pulled them out. Considering this, where do you think I sit?

Thanks again!

sonofeugene
10-14-2013, 2:55 PM
Well, that would be nifty. I think I recall something quite a number of years ago about registering handguns but I didn't pay any attention to it. I'd sure hate to give up my father's Luger as he went to the trouble of crafting some very custom grips for it, the likes of which I've never seen before. (He kept the originals and I have those as well.)

sonofeugene
10-14-2013, 2:56 PM
'Any way of contacting "Librarian" to ask?

sealocan
10-14-2013, 4:22 PM
I am NOT a lawyer but I also believe they were passed you way back when it was legal to transfer between Inter family father, mother to son or daughter was legal without any kind of registration. so you may be grandfathered in on those pistols. I could be wrong.

a great way to get some information about current gun laws (written in layman's terms) in California is the...
" Calguns foundation " information pages.just do a search and you should find it.the answer you are seeking may be there.

we would all love to see some photos, if you get a chance to do that, especially those custom grips.

retired
10-14-2013, 5:02 PM
I've pm'd Librarian, so he should be by as soon as he is able.

Librarian
10-14-2013, 5:05 PM
Ghosts cruise through the forum ...

Inheriting in 1979 is far beyond a statute of limitation if any misdemeanor might have been committed (that's usually 3 years). I don't think there was any crime, though.

Registration is not a requirement to own or use a handgun, or any other gun.

And, the question isn't really a LEO topic (though you might get offers to buy ... ) so moving the thread to the 2A forum.

sonofeugene
10-14-2013, 5:49 PM
Thanks much for your feedback. I'll have to do some more searching. But, like you, I'm thinking it's grandfathered.

Here's a photo of the Luger:

gotshotgun?
10-14-2013, 5:55 PM
Whats with that grip? :eek:

jpscoot_21
10-14-2013, 6:37 PM
That looks like it fell out of a big bag of candy!

sealocan
10-14-2013, 6:48 PM
you are definitely right those grips do have...

" the likes of which I've never seen before."

you can tell there's craftsmanship in the manufacture and polishing of their unique design, but I think the colors would make General Patton roll over in his grave.

I use to see that on old bayonets with chipped or broken grips, someone would have taken some early type of plastic and grind it down and then polished it to a smooth finish.
that was back when you have to make your own things and not just order them from Amazon ( mass produced in China) for your tactical tactigun.
your Dad did his own work,nice.

and if I'm not mistaken Adolf had a set just like those. :-)

postal
10-14-2013, 6:59 PM
WOAH!!!!!!! ...well you did say he lived in san fragcisco.... First set of gay pride grips I've ever seen....:devil2:

Sorry OP.... couldnt.... resist.......

sonofeugene
10-15-2013, 12:00 AM
No problem. I always thought they were pretty cool considering the state of plastics back in '48. I wouldn't have done that, but I guess Lugers weren't all that special back then. He also made a set of clear grips for a WWI 7.65 mm Izarra he also had.

fizux
10-15-2013, 5:35 AM
Not quite the right color order to be a German flag...

No registration system existed back in 1979, so you complied with the law back at "put them away..."

Eljay
10-15-2013, 7:57 AM
Here's my question: Is there anything I am required to do in order to keep and perhaps shoot these weapons?

Have them checked out by a gunsmith or at least somebody who knows how they're supposed to work?

sonofeugene
10-15-2013, 9:41 AM
I've had the Luger checked out by two gunsmiths, one just a few weeks ago. They both said the weapon seems to be in perfectly serviceable condition. All numbers match (except the mag) and though the barrel is a tiny bit rough, it's perfectly fine for shooting. But as with any semi, they recommended putting only two rounds in the mag when I first go to fire it, just in case it goes auto on me.

The Izarra is made by one of the better Spanish firms back then and though it might be perfectly fine to fire it, I'd not do so unless it's been thoroughly checked out as those guns don't have the best of reputations. And it's dirty and sticky right now. Frankly, it's just a curiosity piece to me.

I also have a '34 Beretta .380 that he brought back France as well. Though maybe he got it in Italy as that's where he was just before the first landings in the south of France. (He was in the first wave.) I've fired that one before and it's in fine condition. I plan on checking it out on some hollow points to see that they don't jam. It's a keeper as it's made pretty well, is in very good condition, and it's nice and small.

Che762x39
10-15-2013, 11:03 AM
I really liked that Luger. Our fathers were truly the 'greatest generation'. Thanks for sharing :oji:

Claymar
10-15-2013, 7:47 PM
Thanks for that. So it would appear that I'd have to register them within 30 days of taking posession of them. However, my father died in 1979 and I just packed them up and put them away and have only recently pulled them out. Considering this, where do you think I sit?

Thanks again!
Need to re-read the section. It specifically states that it does not apply to handguns. I dont know that there has ever been handgun registration other then DROS. in My personal policy is to give no more information to Cal DOJ then I have to. They have too much of our information as it is.
Cheers

Librarian
10-15-2013, 9:59 PM
Need to re-read the section. It specifically states that it does not apply to handguns. I dont know that there has ever been handgun registration other then DROS.

To which 'section' do you refer?

Since about 1991 - I can't seem to find what bill added the requirement to the Penal Code - intrafamilial handgun transfers and handgun transfers by inheritance must be reported to the state - Penal Code 27875 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/27875.html).

And then there is PC 27560 (http://law.onecle.com/california/penal/27560.html) that requires new residents to register their handguns, since 1 Jan 1998.