PDA

View Full Version : Bay Area "sting" nets 74 firearms, including 21 assault weapons.

Steyr_223
01-23-2008, 8:29 PM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22808300/

http://images.ibsys.com/2008/0123/15121035_320X240.jpg

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/23/BAO8UKEPF.DTL

"(01-23) 14:27 PST SAN JOSE - -- San Jose and Santa Clara police have arrested more than 140 people in a massive copper theft sting after a year-long undercover investigation that also unveiled a bomb-making operation for cell phone-triggered explosives, police said today."

"Undercover officers also purchased 74 firearms, including 21 assault weapons banned in California, four guns that had been reported stolen, two fully automatic weapons and eight firearms with damaged or removed serial numbers."

dondo
01-23-2008, 8:31 PM
Damn. Wtf is going up there?

USN CHIEF
01-23-2008, 8:33 PM
Oh man that sucks....

jdberger
01-23-2008, 8:35 PM

"(01-23) 14:27 PST SAN JOSE - -- San Jose and Santa Clara police have arrested more than 140 people in a massive copper theft sting after a year-long undercover investigation that also unveiled a bomb-making operation for cell phone-triggered explosives, police said today."

"Undercover officers also purchased 74 firearms, including 21 assault weapons banned in California, four guns that had been reported stolen, two fully automatic weapons and eight firearms with damaged or removed serial numbers."

I love the little chrome .25 caliber Raven up on the wall....though, on further reflection, it could be a Davis...

PIRATE14
01-23-2008, 8:35 PM

Looks like some WASRs in there........:mad:

Two Shots
01-23-2008, 8:36 PM
I'm afraid this is just the tip of the iceberg.

pnkssbtz
01-23-2008, 8:38 PM
WTF is with the bomb making bit?

Bizcuits
01-23-2008, 8:39 PM
Damn. Wtf is going up there?

The same thing that went on yesterday and will go on tomorrow.

Criminals commity Crimes and obtaining weapons illegally.

how many days left before we can go get our fixed mag rifles? :rolleyes:

Steyr_223
01-23-2008, 8:46 PM
I just hope none of those AK's came into Cali via an FFL as a legal OLL..If they can trace those back to an FFL that supports OLL then we can expect trouble. Regardless if some ahat illegally attached a PG..

I just hope they came across the border illegally..

G17GUY
01-23-2008, 8:47 PM
Looks like a decent browning auto-5 on top. :(

oaklander
01-23-2008, 8:49 PM
I wonder if any of the stolen rifles were OLLs?

Hunter
01-23-2008, 8:50 PM
Here is the video on it..

http://video.nbc11.com/player/?id=208571

Creeping Incrementalism
01-23-2008, 8:51 PM
Near Indio on I-10 there are two signs saying something like "We are watching you", and below that, "Report copper thieves" and a phone number. Seeing that made me snicker, but now I guess some people better take it more seriously! :detective:

My uncle told me how back in the 60s, he and my other uncle would head out into the desert to ghost towns and take all the copper they could find. One time they even took down live power lines (Someone had forgotten to turn off the electricity when they abandoned the mine/town). Nobody even cared back then. They would also just go 4-wheelin' all over the place--this was in the desert over the mountains from L.A. Then once Jeeps and ATVs got popular, and the environmental movement gained steam, that mostly got shut down. Hearing the older generation reminisce about all the freedom and fun things you could do back then that you can't now sure makes me yearn to have grown up back then.

otteray
01-23-2008, 9:15 PM
Many of the suspects were identified as gang members.

92% of the suspects had prior criminal records.

Gee, that's surprising.

Sgt Raven
01-23-2008, 9:16 PM
They were reporting on the radio that they got X# of SKS AW's. :eek::rolleyes:

50 Freak
01-23-2008, 9:22 PM
I think they are airsoft guns....probably only real gun there is the Raven

MrTuffPaws
01-23-2008, 9:37 PM
The same thing that went on yesterday and will go on tomorrow.

Criminals commity Crimes and obtaining weapons illegally.

how many days left before we can go get our fixed mag rifles? :rolleyes:

Bah, I bet a few honest gun owners have a nice cache of homemade explosives too. ;)

Ford8N
01-23-2008, 9:39 PM
Looks like some WASRs in there........:mad:

Yea, I can't see any dimples from the photo. Although, didn't OOW make a few 991's without dimples in 1999?

CrazyJeep
01-23-2008, 11:09 PM
Scare tactics. :chris:

They're probably airsoft guns tacked to the wall. They then called the media and said, "Hey, look what we found." :cool2:

Soldier415
01-23-2008, 11:18 PM
tag

jimx
01-23-2008, 11:31 PM
Just what we need punks using IED’s

M1A Rifleman
01-24-2008, 8:47 AM
Good, glad to hear they caught the SOB's. The City where I work has been hit by recent thefts of copper wire -- right out of our street lights - whole blocks of lighting have been shut down as they cut the wire in the pull box and pull it right out of the conduits, damages in excess of $50K. San Jose, Santa Clara, Gillroy and others have been hit the same way.

What I wonder is where all these criminals are getting the full-autos - if this is infact true. Yea I see em for sale at the Reno shows, but I thought machine gus were rare in CA, so where are they getting or stealing them?

hawk1
01-24-2008, 8:54 AM
Alright, who from up north isn't posting today...:hide:

:jump:

mecam
01-24-2008, 9:09 AM
What I wonder is where all these criminals are getting the full-autos - if this is infact true. Yea I see em for sale at the Reno shows, but I thought machine gus were rare in CA, so where are they getting or stealing them?

Criminals have a different FFL, no background check, no waiting period, no approved roster list, and everything is much much cheaper. Unfortunately in CA, Crims have more freedom than law abiders. ;)

1911su16b870
01-24-2008, 10:07 AM
Wow, IMO that is some amazing police work! According to the news video 2 legit people out of 300! (99.33% bad guys) I remember when they arrested that bomb maker back in October 07.

WolfMansDad
01-24-2008, 10:23 AM
I'd withhold judgement until the facts come out. Remember how BWO was painted by the media? He was accused of all kinds of horrible things he wasn't even remotely involved in, possession of stolen property, credit-card fraud, etc. If these guys really were gang bangers making bombs to hurt people, then I'm glad they got nabbed. However, an honest gunny doodling around with homemade fireworks would get the same treatment by the press.

CCWFacts
01-24-2008, 10:53 AM

Re: full-autos and criminals: No way are they stolen NFA-registered transferable MGs. The collectors who own those things are extremely careful with them because a) they are valuable and b) emotional factors which are evident when you meet an NFA MG owner.

First, let's be clear: criminal use of FA guns (whatever the source) is rare. FA weapons don't "improve" the business of crime. It serves no purpose.

Of the FA weapons that criminals do use, I would assume the bulk of them are conversions. There are criminal gunsmiths out there who know how to do it, and with the right parts and some tools, it's not too challenging. Some may be smuggled (illegal bring-backs from Iraq for example), some stolen from the government, and very very rarely might one be a stolen privately-owned NFA registered MG.

Ironchef
01-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Oh cool! I'm gonna see if SJPD has some of the 11 new laptops I had burglarized from my office last fall!

theseacow
01-24-2008, 11:29 AM
The AK in the lower left looks like it has a bullet button on it...

DrjonesUSA
01-24-2008, 11:52 AM
"... two fully automatic weapons..."

I call LIE on that.

In fact, I do not believe that ANY criminals have any full auto weapons at all.

NONE.

If they did, they would use them and when is the last time that you heard of a criminal actually using a TRULY full-auto weapon??

Not merely "possessing", but actually USING.

Since the North Hollywood shootout, I have not heard of even one single story involving criminal use of a fully automatic weapon.

NOT ONE.

dondo
01-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Oh cool! I'm gonna see if SJPD has some of the 11 new laptops I had burglarized from my office last fall!
wtf?

Hopi
01-24-2008, 12:33 PM
First, let's be clear: criminal use of FA guns (whatever the source) is rare. FA weapons don't "improve" the business of crime. It serves no purpose.

Sounds familiar....

I'm concerned about a *****man, who thinks it's wise to come to a business meeting, carrying automatic weapons. Because in this country, it don't add inches to your dick, you get a life sentence for it.~
-Frank Costello

Ironchef
01-24-2008, 1:57 PM
wtf?

The sting netted some stolen laptops. My office in WC was burglarized and had 11 brand new laptops stolen from it. I'm going to see if SJPD has serial numbers for the laptops that match those stolen from my office.

WokMaster1
01-24-2008, 2:05 PM

What ironchef needs laptops? Just saute pans, baby!:D

cartman
01-24-2008, 2:10 PM
I call LIE on that.

In fact, I do not believe that ANY criminals have any full auto weapons at all.

NONE.

If they did, they would use them and when is the last time that you heard of a criminal actually using a TRULY full-auto weapon??

Not merely "possessing", but actually USING.

Since the North Hollywood shootout, I have not heard of even one single story involving criminal use of a fully automatic weapon.

NOT ONE.

well there are those fire dept guys that got busted in rohnert park and santa rosa that had I think 7 of them.

01-24-2008, 2:59 PM
That is a pretty big haul for a copper theft sting.

DrjonesUSA
01-24-2008, 3:28 PM
well there are those fire dept guys that got busted in rohnert park and santa rosa that had I think 7 of them.

Thanks for proving my point: they didn't USE them, did they?

BTW, Cartman is my absolute FAVORITE!!!! :D

cartman
01-24-2008, 3:47 PM
Thanks for proving my point: they didn't USE them, did they?

BTW, Cartman is my absolute FAVORITE!!!! :D

firstly thank you cartman is a fav of mine too. theres a little cartman in all of us.

secondly I didn't prove your point because you said criminals don't have full auto's. But with very few exceptions (nfa tax stamp) anyone who owns one would be a criminal on that fact alone. I don't agree with it being illegal as I would love to be able to own a full auto or two but the laws are what they are right now and those firemen didn't need to use them be criminals or they wouldn't have been arrested for the merely having them.

cartman
01-24-2008, 3:49 PM
Out in Ct where I'm from a fav scam is ripping peoples catalityc converter off. They have a little platnium in them. Also guys would go around and cut down street lights. They set up cones and everything.

StukaJr
01-24-2008, 4:42 PM
Top shotgun looks to be a very nice Rem Model 11 - that thing is so long it barely fits into my rifle drag bag!

A perfect bird/clay gun...

wilit
01-24-2008, 5:57 PM
I'd withhold judgement until the facts come out. Remember how BWO was painted by the media? He was accused of all kinds of horrible things he wasn't even remotely involved in, possession of stolen property, credit-card fraud, etc. If these guys really were gang bangers making bombs to hurt people, then I'm glad they got nabbed. However, an honest gunny doodling around with homemade fireworks would get the same treatment by the press.

Granted everyone deserves the benefit of the doubt, but if all of those firearms mounted on that wall are in fact really what they confiscated and they're not airsofts, I see a few felony counts just in the SBSes. I don't need a measuring tape to know they're way too short (with the exception of the one on the top).