PDA

View Full Version : Selling antique long gun at gun show

Bishop
01-23-2008, 11:03 AM
A very good friend of mine is in some financial trouble and called me to ask if he could sell his antique M39 (mosin) at an upcoming gun show (crossroads of the west, if it matters). I told him I wasn't sure about selling antique rifles, and suggested he reconsider because his M39 was rebarreled in the late '60s and has a big date carved into the barrel.

He's the kind of guy I can picture standing around the gun show with a sign that says "LIKE NEW MOSIN, CASH AND CARRY!" and getting pounced on by every DOJ agent there.

I think it's legal for him to sell his antique like that, but I just don't think it would be a good idea. Am I just being :TFH:? What do you guys think?

NRAhighpowershooter
01-23-2008, 12:04 PM
it's perfectly legal.........I'd just get the buyers CDL on paper though.. just for peace of mind....

Pthfndr
01-23-2008, 6:45 PM
and suggested he reconsider because his M39 was rebarreled in the late '60s and has a big date carved into the barrel.

Those are commonly referred to as "Sneaks". Even though the rifle was rebarreled in the late 60s, the date on the receiver (it's on the receiver tang on the side facing the wood) is when it was made.

An antique Sneak is somewhat rare. You might suggest he list it over on the Gunboards Trader forum. Good chance he could get $300-$400 for it.

jimx
01-23-2008, 7:01 PM
Isn't a M39 a C&R not an antique???

Mssr. Eleganté
01-23-2008, 7:50 PM
Isn't a M39 a C&R not an antique???

The Finns built all of their Mosin-Nagant rifles on Russian (and Soviet) receivers. They kept all of the rifles left by the Russians in Finland after the Finns declared independence, they bought more rifles from countries that had captured them from Russia during WWI, and they captured a bunch themselves every time they kicked the Soviets' butts in war.

Since the Mosin-Nagant had been around since 1891, many of the Finnish rifles have "antique" receivers. BATF still considers these to be "antiques" even though the Finns rebarreled them and changed the configurations around.

So a Finn M39 might have 1940 stamped on the barrel, but if the date stamped by the Russians on the under side of the receiver is pre-1899 then it is an "antique".

jimx
01-23-2008, 9:46 PM
The Finns built all of their Mosin-Nagant rifles on Russian (and Soviet) receivers.

Thanks I didn’t know that.

An antique could not only sold at a gun show but also sent through the mail without using an ffl.