PDA

View Full Version : Shooting .22LR in city limits?

Archenemy550
01-23-2008, 10:04 AM
Hi, I have a quick question.
There are Hills behind my home, that are still fairly big. Can I go out there with my .22LR and shoot? The City is Norco, California
It is not private property, and there is a good backstop for rounds. (i.e a 80-90ft hill)

I cant find anything on this, so I was wondering if a calgunner could help out :)

It would be so awsome to be able to go and shoot when I get bored and NOT have to pay.

DVSmith
01-23-2008, 10:16 AM
According to the Norco Municipal Codes:
Section 9.08.020 Discharging unlawful.

It is unlawful for any person to shoot or discharge any firearm within the boundaries of the city. (Ord. 23, Sec. 2, 1965)

Does that help?

Edit to add link:
http://municipalcodes.lexisnexis.com/codes/norco/

DVSmith
01-23-2008, 10:19 AM
Sorry, I should have added the exemptions:

Section 9.08.030 Exemptions.

The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to the following persons:
(1) Any peace officer or member of the armed services while acting in the lawful discharge of his duties;
(2) Any person using a firearm in the lawful defense of himself, another person or property;
(3) Any person discharging a firearm or causing a firearm to be discharged at an established firing, shooting or target range, or hunting or gun club, or on a properly constructed indoor or outdoor home range when properly approved by the planning commission on private property under his ownership or control;
(4) Any person discharging a firearm or causing a firearm to be discharged in the process of slaughtering cattle, sheep or swine for food purposes;
(5) Any person discharging a firearm or causing a firearm to be discharged in the process of disposing of any animal solely for humane purposes. (Ord. 23, Sec. 3, 1965)

sloguy
01-23-2008, 10:30 AM
if a tree falls in the forest.......... your still breaking the law. i see it like a rolling stop thru a stopsign. one of those crimes that really doesnt hurt anyone. however, if you have a accidental discharge it could go into someones house and kill them. not so likely a possibility at a actual range.

aguilla sss is the quietest 22lr ammo( besides those tiny thingies that dont even have powder). the longer the barrel the quieter they are. the sound of the bullet hitting a jug of water is louder than the gun firing.

Piper
01-23-2008, 10:44 AM
Sorry, I should have added the exemptions:

Section 9.08.030 Exemptions.

The provisions of this chapter shall not apply to the following persons:
(1) Any peace officer or member of the armed services while acting in the lawful discharge of his duties;
(2) Any person using a firearm in the lawful defense of himself, another person or property;
(3) Any person discharging a firearm or causing a firearm to be discharged at an established firing, shooting or target range, or hunting or gun club, or on a properly constructed indoor or outdoor home range when properly approved by the planning commission on private property under his ownership or control; (4) Any person discharging a firearm or causing a firearm to be discharged in the process of slaughtering cattle, sheep or swine for food purposes;
(5) Any person discharging a firearm or causing a firearm to be discharged in the process of disposing of any animal solely for humane purposes. (Ord. 23, Sec. 3, 1965)

This is interesting. This could make me want to move to Corona if I could find a big enough piece of real estate.

Archenemy550
01-23-2008, 10:59 AM
Ok, thanks for the info!
I appreciate it :D

I heard with the Aguilla SSS .22LR rounds, you could pretty much kill mice in your house. hehe, are they really that quiet? My .22 has a 22'' bbl

sloguy
01-23-2008, 11:21 AM
Ok, thanks for the info!

I heard with the Aguilla SSS .22LR rounds, you could pretty much kill mice in your house. hehe, are they really that quiet? My .22 has a 22'' bbl

NO! far too heavy. they are good penetrators. for rats use 22lr shotshells( wear eye protection and keep your mouth shut, you can get bounceback into your teeth). the shotshells wont damage too much of the walls or cement.

but they are that quiet. its a 60 grain bullet moving at 950fps. they hit pretty hard on small critters but the powder charges seem to be sloppy so they string vertically from shot to shot specially noticeable past 100 yards.

cornholio1
01-23-2008, 11:32 AM
Ok, thanks for the info!

Its still much louder than the Aguila 20gr w/o powder. That stuffs the perfect stuff for close range rodent control. Got enough punch to go almost 1/2 thru piece of plywood at 20 feet

cornholio1
01-23-2008, 11:33 AM
NO! far too heavy. they are good penetrators. for rats use 22lr shotshells( wear eye protection and keep your mouth shut, you can get bounceback into your teeth). the shotshells wont damage too much of the walls or cement.

but they are that quiet. its a 60 grain bullet moving at 950fps. they hit pretty hard on small critters but the powder charges seem to be sloppy so they string vertically from shot to shot specially noticeable past 100 yards.

That round was designed for use in a 1:9 twist. A Ruger 10/22 has a 1:16b twist I believe.

Archenemy550
01-23-2008, 11:38 AM
Arent most .22LR firearms 1:16'' twist? I dont even think I have seen a 1:9'' .22LR

/I will also check out the Aguila 20gr w/o powder :cool:

odesskiy
01-23-2008, 12:16 PM
I think it's called .22 Colibri

thomasanelson
01-23-2008, 12:25 PM
[QUOTE=sloguy;955105]if a tree falls in the forest.......... your still breaking the law. i see it like a rolling stop thru a stopsign. one of those crimes that really doesnt hurt anyone. [QUOTE]

Except when you roll thru a stopsign and don't look both ways...and run over a kid in the crosswalk, killing him.......then saying, "he came out of nowhere!"

Bishop
01-23-2008, 12:43 PM
Except when you roll thru a stopsign and don't look both ways...and run over a kid in the crosswalk, killing him.......then saying, "he came out of nowhere!"

He's right. Never forget rule 4!

DVSmith
01-23-2008, 12:54 PM
I would just suggest that a firearms violation could lead to complications that could limit your involvement in this hobby. Rolling through a stop sign is not likely to do much (assuming you avoided hitting anyone) more than affect your driving privileges and or insurance rates.

sloguy
01-23-2008, 1:05 PM
He's right. Never forget rule 4!

if you read my "complete" original comment you will see that i did touch on that subject.

Archenemy550
01-23-2008, 1:11 PM
I obviously am not going to risk it to shoot .22LR

Not worth a "Firearms Violation" and having my 2A rights taken away or suspended.

GuyW
01-24-2008, 2:34 PM
Typically, you can't even shoot BB guns or air guns...sometimes not paintball guns...in city limits.

jamesob
01-24-2008, 10:59 PM
well if there is a hill behind you, i suggest you keep an eye out for sick or injured animals. you can dispose of the animals. its the only way you can be legal. haha

ETD1010
01-25-2008, 12:20 AM
huh.. I have a marlin 25N and I"ve shot the SSS 60 grainers up to 50 yards and they were quite accurate. . . and I"m pretty sure it's a 1:16 twist. . .

retired
01-25-2008, 12:44 AM
Archenemy, are you referring to the hills behind Pierce Brothers Cemetery at Crestlawn on Arlington dividing Norco from Riverside. If so, and you accidently hit anyone, you could just drag them over to the cemetery.

I'm joking in case anyone from the DOJ is reading.

I used to live in those homes in Riverside at the top of the hill and when in better shape, climbed those hills with my dog.

This could make me want to move to Corona if I could find a big enough piece of real estate.

Piper, did you mean to type Norco and not Corona, as he was referring to Norco's codes. You can always get land in Norco, because with few exceptions, every lot has to be at least 1/2 acre if IIRC. I know of a few that aren't, but I believe they had waivers. A former neighbor of mine when I lived in Riverside, won the lotto and built a custom home on 13 acres overlooking the Santa Ana River in Norco. You can see it from the Topiary nursery on California. That would be a nice place to build a range.