PDA

View Full Version : HSC Required for DOJ Firearm Ownership Record form?

roki
10-09-2013, 3:29 PM
Hey all,

My fiance recently moved here from the state of VA, and brought her 4 handguns (all CA compliant) with her. She got her CA license / residency last month after she moved, and we need to do the BOF4542A Firearm Ownership Record form ($19 x 4) reporting those.

My question is, there is a box on the owner information section of the form for the CA HSC number, but I've heard mixed reports on whether or not she needs one of those, but this page (http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/hscfaqs#a18) seems to show that she doesn't. I just don't want to send these forms up without the number, have some sort of issue arise, or get in any sort of legal trouble if the turnaround time or any sort of delay pushes her past 60 days here.

Thanks in advance for any help!

ke6guj
10-09-2013, 3:32 PM
Hey all,

My fiance recently moved here from the state of VA, and brought her 4 handguns (all CA compliant) with her. She got her CA license / residency last month after she moved, and we need to do the BOF4542A Firearm Ownership Record form ($19 x 4) reporting those.
that would be the wrong form. she should be filling out the New Resident Handgun Ownership Report (BOF 4010A) Form, http://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/pdfs/firearms/forms/ab991frm.pdf . that one does not require an HSC.

roki
10-09-2013, 4:19 PM
Well, that answers that. And I feel like an idiot, but thank you so much!

Mitch
10-10-2013, 6:22 AM
In any case, she should go get her HSC. It's easy and will allow impulse purchases in the future.

thospb
10-10-2013, 7:37 AM
Or she could get her CCW, that will fulfill the HSC and be useful.

JoshuaS
10-10-2013, 10:10 PM
A thing of note. With the exception of threaded barrels, or handguns that take magazines somewhere other than the pistol grip and I think the Taurus Judge, any and all handguns could have been brought here.

Guns not on the "California Roster of Safe Handguns" cannot be bought from a dealer here. But they can be brought it when someone moves here. I lived in VA for a while...that wasn't an issue coming back.

A little late now, but hopefully she didn't sell anything good thinking she had to!

roki
10-11-2013, 9:19 PM
A thing of note. With the exception of threaded barrels, or handguns that take magazines somewhere other than the pistol grip and I think the Taurus Judge, any and all handguns could have been brought here.

Guns not on the "California Roster of Safe Handguns" cannot be bought from a dealer here. But they can be brought it when someone moves here. I lived in VA for a while...that wasn't an issue coming back.

A little late now, but hopefully she didn't sell anything good thinking she had to!

No, she didn't! Actually, one of the guns was an off-roster 1911. I simply meant nothing >10 rounds :)