PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut Police Seize Citizenís 274 Guns after he reported a break-in

morfeeis
10-09-2013, 2:59 PM
Joseph Callahan, 69, is a retired chemist. During his accomplished career he worked for DuPont and Remington Arms....

All of these things, and these things alone, led to a police raid of his home that resulted in his firearms being confiscated by police....

The whole incident began when Callahan reported a burglary to his home to police.

http://gunssavelives.net/news/connecticut-police-seize-citizens-274-guns-because-well-he-had-too-many-guns-hobbies/?w3tc_note=pgcache_purge_post

wow, hard to stay positive towards some people in the face of reports like this.

Nick Justice
10-09-2013, 5:05 PM
Let's assume, just for the moment, that he was in fact in possession of illegal explosives (which is the only violation I can see here).

Solution: Confiscate the illegal explosives.

The End.

hermosabeach
10-09-2013, 5:15 PM
If the rocket fuel is a felony.... then they take everything.....

kentactic
10-09-2013, 5:16 PM
Another victim of the corrupt system.

stix213
10-09-2013, 5:30 PM
The linked article is a bit biased and not very helpful, since his firearms were undoubtedly confiscated not because of how many he had but due to his 11 felony explosives charges he is facing.

stix213
10-09-2013, 5:31 PM
Let's assume, just for the moment, that he was in fact in possession of illegal explosives (which is the only violation I can see here).

Solution: Confiscate the illegal explosives.

The End.

I believe when you're charged with 11 felonies it is pretty standard practice to not leave the individual with guns.

kentactic
10-09-2013, 5:32 PM
The linked article is a bit biased and not very helpful, since his firearms were undoubtedly confiscated not because of how many he had but due to his 11 felony explosives charges he is facing.

Those charges could be nothing more then having too much smokeless powder on hand. Thousands of Americans are over the very low legal amount.

YubaRiver
10-09-2013, 6:09 PM
Gestapo

Unless he made threats I don't see how he did anything wrong.

Californians have a strange mindset, sort of a Stockholm syndrome about such things.

Maltese Falcon
10-09-2013, 6:20 PM
More info here, seems he crossed a few lines...

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/10/07/fairfield-man-charged-with-making-bombs-in-home/

When police arrived at the Bronson Road home last Wednesday, they discovered the hazardous chemicals, up to 200 guns, tens of thousands of rounds of ammunition, apparently homemade explosive devices and 250 gallons of jet fuel, CBS 2′s Lou Young reported.
“Anybody who makes bombs has some sort of nefarious reason for it,” Police Chief Gary MacNamara said at the time. “There are indications that he did have some hobbies with regards to rockets. When he crossed the line or why he crossed the line into manufacturing explosive devices, we don’t know.”
The bombs were described as sticks of explosives that would be detonated by a lit fuse and are larger than an M-80 firecracker but smaller than a stick of dynamite.

M1NM
10-09-2013, 6:37 PM
Ooooooooh jet fuel can you say kerosine?

SWalt
10-09-2013, 6:49 PM
Perfect example of how criminal intent has been thrown out the window, its now "how dare you have this!"

Gutpile66
10-09-2013, 7:00 PM
Gestapo

Unless he made threats I don't see how he did anything wrong.

Californians have a strange mindset, sort of a Stockholm syndrome about such things.

Couldn't agree more. Makes me sick what I read on this forum. My grandpa up in Grants Pass had dynamite in his skinning shed when I was knee high. Used it for stumps and such. Fellas gonna tell me he was a threat? Or maybe he was a free American . . .

StuckInTheP.R.O.Ca
10-09-2013, 7:09 PM

Just what I was thinking. Also the so called explosives were probably homemade rocket motors. This whole thing is probably trumped up so they can take his firearms.

morfeeis
10-09-2013, 9:25 PM

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/10/07/fairfield-man-charged-with-making-bombs-in-home/

Kind of sound like he made a rocket engine and they're trying to make it sound all dangerious . word play, I'm sure if the guy was going to blow up a building he wouldn't have called the cops to his home.call for help, go to jail..

Bet they won't find the guys that broke in too.....

redarmy
10-09-2013, 9:43 PM
Wow. I have read about three articles and all three show bias. I have a propane tank under my bbq, does that mean I have a bomb too? What happened in America to make everyone such pussies

SWalt
10-09-2013, 10:12 PM
Kind of sound like he made a rocket engine and they're trying to make it sound all dangerious . word play, I'm sure if the guy was going to blow up a building he wouldn't have called the cops to his home.call for help, go to jail..

Bet they won't find the guys that broke in too.....

I thought the same thing. He probably hadn't even thought what he was doing could be construed as illegal. Just tinkering with things.

Reelemup
10-09-2013, 10:27 PM
Wow. I have read about three articles and all three show bias. I have a propane tank under my bbq, does that mean I have a bomb too? What happened in America to make everyone such pussies

Yahhh. Just because I have things it will not make me do harm. I was raised with common human standards by my strict Grandma. She raised me from day 10 or so my mother was a looser and dumped me off.. Never known who my father was but granny stepped up for a challenge to raise me at age 68. She was born in 1888 so I heard lots of real time stories versus history commi books. I had the luck to spend 28 years with her.. She passed away in her late nineties .

USMC VET
10-09-2013, 10:57 PM

Agreed here

easyPZ
10-10-2013, 10:12 AM
He probably had these:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=271550&stc=1&d=1381425016

model rocket engines...ahem..."explosive devices"

10-10-2013, 10:25 AM
He had all 200+ registered and legally owned. They saw an opportunity and took it.

Germz
10-10-2013, 10:26 AM

come on, thats like saying sudafed is the same as methamphetamine.
this dude did not cover his bases.

Foresight88
10-10-2013, 10:51 AM
The guy had rocket fuel and firearms? He must be linked to Al Qaeda :facepalm:

SmallShark
10-10-2013, 11:01 AM
He is charged with felonies.

Period.

Paper Boy
10-10-2013, 11:06 AM
He probably had these:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/attachment.php?attachmentid=271550&stc=1&d=1381425016

model rocket engines...ahem..."explosive devices"

Going to assume its more than that - still legal just higher power. I used to launch 20 - 30 pound rockets 4-7000 feet high with about 160 pounds of thrust - and that is just mid range stuff. Some people have hit over 50 miles up...

And the motors are all home made at that point. Mix your own chemicals and make your own motor molds... It is a process.

http://nakka-rocketry.net/paradigm/pamotor2.jpg

qY7W3EMfrgc

Ratboy
10-10-2013, 2:12 PM

Period.

really? Period? No discussion whether these charges are warranted? No thoughts on the ease at which we all can commit felonies every single day without any criminal intent?

ExtremeX
10-10-2013, 2:57 PM
Going to assume its more than that - still legal just higher power. I used to launch 20 - 30 pound rockets 4-7000 feet high with about 160 pounds of thrust - and that is just mid range stuff. Some people have hit over 50 miles up...

And the motors are all home made at that point. Mix your own chemicals and make your own motor molds... It is a process.

http://nakka-rocketry.net/paradigm/pamotor2.jpg

qY7W3EMfrgc

I got into model rockets when I was really young... my first rocket kit/starter set I bought at Toys-R-Us which used those cheap-o cardboard motor tubes.

That video is just taking it onto a whole new level... That's really impressive and bad ***. It looks like he used GPS sent via ARPS with a Ham Radio to locate the rocket after it returned.

Sunday
10-10-2013, 3:10 PM
BS arrest Note the term thousands in the amount of ammo.

arsilva32
10-10-2013, 3:41 PM

Period.

you are no better then the gun grabbers that took his guns,with that thinking.

kaligaran
10-10-2013, 5:35 PM
I have a propane tank under my bbq, does that mean I have a bomb too?

Is that tank registered?
Is it properly secured where it isn't accessible by minors?
Does it hold less than 5 gallons?

If you answered 'no' to any of the above questions, then you are in possession of an 'assault propane tank'.

We may need a spreadsheet for this.

StuckInTheP.R.O.Ca
10-10-2013, 5:39 PM

Period.

So he must be guilty right. :rolleyes:

Pandanin
10-10-2013, 5:50 PM
Is that tank registered?
Is it properly secured where it isn't accessible by minors?
Does it hold less than 5 gallons?

If you answered 'no' to any of the above questions, then you are in possession of an 'assault propane tank'.

We may need a spreadsheet for this.

Does the tank have a handle that your thumb can wrap around?
Does the tank have an anti-flashfire device? (i.e. nozzle)
Does the tank have a forward handle? If 2 handles, then yes, one is forward.

I suspect this is very much an assault propane tank. In order to possess it you will have to register it and prove your competence with it by delivering each of us a steak cooked to order.

Cook on.

SWalt
10-10-2013, 6:19 PM
About 50 yrs ago you could buy ingredients to make "rocket fuel" and explosives from the local pharmacist and there weren't wide spread bombings. Well, until 1960's radicals decided to bomb "the man". Today anyone caught with "ingredients" that can be used to make explosives are always thought of being up to something no good. Why is that? :confused:

meaty-btz
10-10-2013, 7:55 PM
About 50 yrs ago you could buy ingredients to make "rocket fuel" and explosives from the local pharmacist and there weren't wide spread bombings. Well, until 1960's radicals decided to bomb "the man". Today anyone caught with "ingredients" that can be used to make explosives are always thought of being up to something no good. Why is that? :confused:

Projection. The government is up to no good and projects that on to it's citizens. Also paranoia. When you are busy getting up to massive amounts of no good and are surrounded by near-angry serfs your own guilty conscience makes you see threats everywhere.

Also... there was some justified paranoia in the Cold War because we really did have extra-national subversives working to undermine us.. now we just have one extra-nataional subversive in our highest office and boatloads of homegrown subversives in congress.

brokentapedeck
10-11-2013, 6:04 AM
i like how they word it "rocket fuel" all it is is methanol. same thing top fuel dragsters use. they have charges against him because mixed with other chemicals causes it to be illegal. So if there all stored in there true state he will get off. then deal with the nightmare of getting his guns back.

Mitch
10-11-2013, 7:41 AM

I agree, but: "Anybody who makes bombs has some sort of nefarious reason for it,Ē Police Chief Gary MacNamara said at the time.

How did Chief MacNamara arrive at his esteemed rank in life without having first been a teenager?