PDA

View Full Version : Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder: "I almost wish bad things upon these people".

RMP91
10-09-2013, 1:28 PM
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/09/eddie-vedder-gun-control_n_4059887.html

Remember that people like him are supposed to be "tolerant" and "caring" about others...

Do they want to start the 2nd Civil War *that* badly? :facepalm:

SDBlaster
10-09-2013, 1:33 PM
Crap... I have tickets for an upcoming pearl jam show and I'm not sure how I feel about supporting someone who prefers I have no 2a rights....

RMP91
10-09-2013, 1:34 PM
Crap... I have tickets for an upcoming pearl jam show and I'm not sure how I feel about supporting someone who prefers I have no 2a rights....

Is that a serious dilemma? The choice you need to make is obvious now.

Johnny_Utah
10-09-2013, 1:37 PM
I have been and currently am still a big PJ fan. I love the music, however I can no longer overlook Eddie's illogical and zealous mentality. I will still listen to their music that I have but will not be giving any more money to them. How unfortunate.

Bucc
10-09-2013, 1:38 PM
Do they want to start the 2nd Civil War *that* badly? :facepalm:

No, they prefer to be slaves. That's easy for the ones who are monied and connected with the power structure. They aren't made to suffer. They don't realize their servitude and expect you to embrace yours.

KLF
10-09-2013, 1:41 PM
Keep Calm. Enjoy the man's music. He isn't like most people.

Gutpile66
10-09-2013, 1:41 PM
P.J. chorus: " . . . glorified version of a pellet gun . . . "

No surprises here. P.J. sucks anyway, who cares. Go buy 'Bad Motorfinger' by Soundgarden. Now that's grunge at it's finest!

SFgiants105
10-09-2013, 1:54 PM
lol. where the hell did he get 90% from?

Jpzum
10-09-2013, 2:01 PM
He is a surf bum hippie who thinks everyone in this world is loving and caring and that there is no one with a criminalistic violent streak. Who cares what a rock "star" thinks? He has emotions but not facts. 90%? Says who?

I want Eddie vedder control more than I want gun control.

He is a sheep. They had a sheep on their second major album cover. Maybe that was a portrait of how he views himself?

He said it seems like he reads about some child shooting someone or their dog every week? I doubt he reads anything at all.

Hopefully if he ever gets mugged or his home invaded, hopefully law enforcement can arrive in time to save his or his loved one's lives.

Or maybe while his thoughs arrive, like butterflies, he will be caught in a stranglehold.

SoberClurichaun
10-09-2013, 2:16 PM
He is a surf bum hippie who thinks everyone in this world is loving and caring and that there is no one with a criminalistic violent streak. Who cares what a rock "star" thinks? He has emotions but not facts. 90%? Says who?

I want Eddie vedder control more than I want gun control.

He is a sheep. They had a sheep on their second major album cover. Maybe that was a portrait of how he views himself?

He said it seems like he reads about some child shooting someone or their dog every week? I doubt he reads anything at all.

Hopefully if he ever gets mugged or his home invaded, hopefully law enforcement can arrive in time to save his or his loved one's lives.

Or maybe while his thoughs arrive, like butterflies, he will be caught in a stranglehold.

People surf in Seattle?

kalimus
10-09-2013, 2:21 PM
I don't know why this is a surprise. Face it, if firearms are not important to you, you're never going to bother reading the facts. Ever. And you can't force someone to care about something that they don't care about. His views, just like anyone else, are based on what they hear in the news. And like it or not, a majority of the news outlets talk about the lies that they here from politics. He isn't scheming and intentionally lying (at least I don't think) about guns. He's regurgitating information that he read in a paper or saw on the news. Just like most of the anti-gun crowd does. Hell, FUD flies through this forum all the time and we're supposed to be the enthusiasts/activists/experts/what-have-you. What do people really expect out of a celebrity, or anyone for that matter, when they don't want/like/own guns?

I have tickets to the next show. Still going. I'm not paying him to make laws, I'm paying him to make music I enjoy. Him speaking his misguided opinions doesn't matter to me in the least. In fact, I really don't agree with almost any of his political views. When he starts actively lobbying for gun control, that's a different story.

Tubbie
10-09-2013, 2:23 PM
Pearl Jam is overrated.

kentactic
10-09-2013, 2:26 PM
Dear mr. Eddie Vedder, I almost wish you had a brain of your own. Now STFU and dance monkey.

WASR10
10-09-2013, 2:52 PM
I had been a huge PJ fan, was even able to ignore the political overtones within the music. But they, and Vedder in particular, lost my support years ago.

NIB
10-09-2013, 3:04 PM
Pearl Jam has always been anti-2nd Amendment/pro gun control. Their song Jeremy was practically the gun grabbers anthem in the 90's.

Spyguy
10-09-2013, 3:06 PM
Vedder and Pearl Jam made millions due to the unfortunate act of a shooting suicide in a school classroom. I don't see him taking that money and using it to promote firearms safety or youth mental health programs. He's a typical elitist hypocrite.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/ff/Pearl_Jam_Jeremy.jpg/220px-Pearl_Jam_Jeremy.jpg

How does that blood money taste, Eddie?

BumBum
10-09-2013, 4:13 PM
I was on the fence about going to this concert in November, but I think this may tip my decision to "no". I've been to a Pearl Jam concert before, they are my favorite band and they are incredible live. I have always been aware of their anti-2A leanings. In fact, I think I read somewhere once that former drummer Dave Abbruzzese and the rest of the band butted heads, and one of those things was that Dave is a fan of guns. But mostly, these damn concerts are so expensive now, and frankly, I would rather buy gun-related items! Perhaps I was looking for an excuse to justify not going, and I seem to have found it.

stix213
10-09-2013, 4:33 PM
Why does anyone care was a 90's has been has to say?

brando
10-09-2013, 4:38 PM
Awww, now you have to sell your Pearl Jam CDs and claim you never liked them in the first place ;)

762cavalier
10-09-2013, 4:39 PM
Toe Jam has always sucked. Never did see the attraction.

BumBum
10-09-2013, 4:47 PM
Why does anyone care was a 90's has been has to say?

I wouldn't quite call them a "has been". While they may have tapered from extreme super-stardom following No Code / Ticketmaster incident in '95, they have always maintained a very strong following even up to today. They have never went on a hiatus and never had to stage a comeback, so to speak. They keep chunking out decent albums every couple of years and have remained steady.

Capybara
10-09-2013, 4:49 PM
Why to people care what celebrities, musicians and actors have to say about real life? Are people really that shallow and dumb? Most celebrities live in a shell, protected from real life and a large percentage of them are rather dumb. I have interviewed hundreds of musicians, actors, producers and directors and I am rarely left impressed.

Once again, it is the mass populace that is really the problem, not the celebrities and media that feed them. The Calgunners here who acknowledge that the majority of Californians want total disarmament are right. If they didn't, why would the Yees, Steinbergs, Boxers, Feinsteins and DeLeons of this state keep getting elected? Most people are anesthetized from the reality and awareness of their surroundings and what is happening to their society and freedom.

brando
10-09-2013, 4:55 PM
Do your politics have to align with every single person or entity you give money to? I have good reasons to really reallydislike Mark LaRue, but he makes some of the best mounts in the world and I still buy them. I think the Chick-Fil-A CEO's a religious nutjob, but damned that's some good chicken! So what if Eddie Vedder's not wrapping himself in the flag and an AR-15? So what if George Clooney doesn't think the way you do about guns? I like art for the sake of it being art and I prefer to buy good products that work better than others, not judge everything and everyone I come across through some kind of narrow political prism. But that's just me - your mileage may vary.

SWalt
10-09-2013, 5:05 PM
Why to people care what celebrities, musicians and actors have to say about real life? Are people really that shallow and dumb? Most celebrities live in a shell, protected from real life and a large percentage of them are rather dumb. I have interviewed hundreds of musicians, actors, producers and directors and I am rarely left impressed.

Once again, it is the mass populace that is really the problem, not the celebrities and media that feed them. The Calgunners here who acknowledge that the majority of Californians want total disarmament are right. If they didn't, why would the Yees, Steinbergs, Boxers, Feinsteins and DeLeons of this state keep getting elected? Most people are anesthetized from the reality and awareness of their surroundings and what is happening to their society and freedom.

So true...so very true.

vintagearms
10-09-2013, 5:05 PM
Do your politics have to align with every single person or entity you give money to? I have good reasons to really reallydislike Mark LaRue, but he makes some of the best mounts in the world and I still buy them. I think the Chick-Fil-A CEO's a religious nutjob, but damned that's some good chicken! So what if Eddie Vedder's not wrapping himself in the flag and an AR-15? So what if George Clooney doesn't think the way you do about guns? I like art for the sake of it being art and I prefer to buy good products that work better than others, not judge everything and everyone I come across through some kind of narrow political prism. But that's just me - your mileage may vary.

Your comparing two staunch gun rights supporters to two anti-gun libs? :facepalm:

Johnny_Utah
10-09-2013, 5:06 PM
People surf in Seattle?

I'm pretty sure he grew up in San Diego:)

brando
10-09-2013, 5:07 PM
Yep, because I'm not talking about guns, I'm talking about people I disagree with but still buy their products. I know, it's difficult sometimes.

vintagearms
10-09-2013, 5:08 PM

No. What's really wrong is they use that fame and media as a bully pulpit when they are so wrapped up in a bubble, spreading their opinion about matter they know nothing about. Sadly, because of that fame, sheeple emerge who might otherwise have been swayed by logic.

YubaRiver
10-09-2013, 5:11 PM
Isn't he Native American?

Low Light
10-09-2013, 5:23 PM
I was on the fence about going to this concert in November, but I think this may tip my decision to "no". I've been to a Pearl Jam concert before, they are my favorite band and they are incredible live. I have always been aware of their anti-2A leanings. In fact, I think I read somewhere once that former drummer Dave Abbruzzese and the rest of the band butted heads, and one of those things was that Dave is a fan of guns. But mostly, these damn concerts are so expensive now, and frankly, I would rather buy gun-related items! Perhaps I was looking for an excuse to justify not going, and I seem to have found it.

Know exactly how you feel. They have been a big part of most of my life, just as guns have been. But it's soap-box grandstanding like this that makes me just want to say "STFU and just make music."

Keep in mind this is also a guy that (supposedly, the story goes) sat in the back of a vehicle with headphones on, looking out the window, while their manager broke the news that instead of the 20% of the moneys they were splitting equally among five was now going to be 36% to Vedder and 16% to each of the other 4, since he was the face of the band and the main element. I guess, (as he sings) he figured out what that calculator was for after all :facepalm:

That story (and relating it) has never sat well with me, but there's a small part of me that buys it because of the grandstanding and things like the Abruzesse chapter.

Rarely have real people and influences been found on a stage or screen - this is just more of the same (the ironic thing is that notion was partly honed by my music - lol)

Wang Lung
10-09-2013, 10:08 PM
Who is eddie vedder?

Uriah02
10-09-2013, 10:44 PM
lol. where the hell did he get 90% from?

The President has quoted this figure repeatedly from loaded polls following Sandy Hook.

strlen
10-09-2013, 11:53 PM
Indeed, I immediately though of "Jeremy".

That said, I'm all for adding a "are you a lead singer/song-writer in a grunge band?" as an automatic disqualifier on DROS forms (although the "are you an addicted to a narcotic?" question is functionally equivalent).

(We need an OT thread on 2A friendly musicians that aren't Ted Nugent, however).

Vedder and Pearl Jam made millions due to the unfortunate act of a shooting suicide in a school classroom. I don't see him taking that money and using it to promote firearms safety or youth mental health programs. He's a typical elitist hypocrite.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/ff/Pearl_Jam_Jeremy.jpg/220px-Pearl_Jam_Jeremy.jpg

How does that blood money taste, Eddie?

tonelar
10-09-2013, 11:56 PM
too bad, I used to like his music a lot

ivanimal
10-09-2013, 11:58 PM
Meh just sing Idiot!

I hated going to see U2 and Bono would go on and on about saving the world from opression with his 2K glasses on. Pffffft.......

pastureofmuppets
10-10-2013, 1:30 AM
I have always been aware of their anti-2A leanings. In fact, I think I read somewhere once that former drummer Dave Abbruzzese and the rest of the band butted heads, and one of those things was that Dave is a fan of guns.

That's where the first lines of Glorified G come from - Vedder was surprised at Abbruzzese "You bought a gun?". Abbruzzese said "In fact, I bought two."

It's a big that Vedders writing can be really weak, which is a shame, particuly on this track because the music is killer. It's kind of interesting though in that it sums up the stereotypes we need as a group to demonstrate is as way off target as it is.

Got a gun, fact i got two
That's ok man, cuz i love god
Glorified version of a pellet gun
Feels so manly, when armed
Don't think, dumb is strength
Never shot at a living thing
Feels so manly, when armed
Glorified version of a...
Always keep it loaded
Always keep it loaded
Always keep it loaded
Kindred to be an american...
Life comes...i can feel your heart...
Life comes...i can feel your heart through your neck...
Life comes...i can feel your heart through your neck...
Like some...i can steal your heart from your neck...
Glorified...glorified...

That said, I'm all for adding a "are you a lead singer/song-writer in a grunge band?" as an automatic disqualifier on DROS forms (although the "are you an addicted to a narcotic?" question is functionally equivalent).

As long is it is just that, drummer would rule me right out.

But, I have serious issues with Pearl Jam being called a Grunge band... they just rode that bandwagon by wearing plaid. They are and always have been a very pretty looking arena rock band. I'm not even sure Alt Rock really applies to them.